1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

I just did first wash on Crate Journal and inseam shrunk at least 2 inches. I was wondering my Crate James grey version's inseam would shrink 2 inches also?
    I've washed my journals, too, but didn't have that much shrinkage at all. Did you try to pull the legs by standing on them while still wet?

2. father's room

father's room Senior member

I don't mind the shrinkage but I am just worried about my grey James getting 2 inch shrinkage..

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

I don't mind the shrinkage but I am just worried about my grey James getting 2 inch shrinkage..
    Well, if you stick to the recommendation I just gave you, you should be ok. How are you "washing" them, too?

4. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

In all my reading I haven't seen one so tell me if I am wrong, is there a good repository on waist size FAQs and such? I know all the standard rules of thumb and the general sizing for the major brands but as I laid out all Crap jeans that fit well (Levis, Gap ETC) this afternoon, not a single one tagged over 32...every single jean was 16.75-17.5 inches measured aligned.

I have worn comfortably 31-33 in non vanity sized jeans my entire adult life. 33s in anything not mid to high rise would fall off me instantaneously. Given my aligned measurments though...is my "Real" size really a 33-35 inch waist? or are "normal" brands a bit vanity sized too?

Keep in mind while these certainly have stretched since purchase, they all fit me.

5. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

In all my reading I haven't seen one so tell me if I am wrong, is there a good repository on waist size FAQs and such? I know all the standard rules of thumb and the general sizing for the major brands but as I laid out all Crap jeans that fit well (Levis, Gap ETC) this afternoon, not a single one tagged over 32...every single jean was 16.75-17.5 inches measured aligned.

I have worn comfortably 31-33 in non vanity sized jeans my entire adult life. 33s in anything not mid to high rise would fall off me instantaneously. Given my aligned measurments though...is my "Real" size really a 33-35 inch waist? or are "normal" brands a bit vanity sized too?

Keep in mind while these certainly have stretched since purchase, they all fit me.

Well one good way to figure this out to actually measure your own waist, particularly a couple inches down from your navel. Also 17.5 inches laid flat still does come out to be a 35, which sounds about right as most vanity sized jeans are around a 1-2 inch increase from the tagged size. Depending on what your buying and whether or not the product is sanforized, it is often easier to just size up a little bit, especially if its raw unsanforized denim that doesn't stretch much because its easy to shrink them up in the wash.
    -If you are looking for any kind of guide in general on denim, check superfuture, they have a lot of faqs on anything denim-related already laid out.

6. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Well one good way to figure this out to actually measure your own waist, particularly a couple inches down from your navel. Also 17.5 inches laid flat still does come out to be a 35, which sounds about right as most vanity sized jeans are around a 1-2 inch increase from the tagged size. Depending on what your buying and whether or not the product is sanforized, it is often easier to just size up a little bit, especially if its raw unsanforized denim that doesn't stretch much because its easy to shrink them up in the wash.
    -If you are looking for any kind of guide in general on denim, check superfuture, they have a lot of faqs on anything denim-related already laid out.

Keep in mind, I wasn't measuring my vanity sized jeans, I was measuring "normal" jeans. I have APC's thats are tagged 30s...I expect those to be much larger than tagged. i simply didn't expect it from Gap and the like.

7. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

Denim washing questions for APC

Should I expect some leg length shrinkage?

Is it ok to just mix em with other clothes in the washing machine (in one of those washing net bags)?

Should I hot wash or cold wash them?

Just put em in or turn them inside out first (i dont care about keepign the color, is the whole inside out thing just a myth to hold color or is that the way you should wash jeans)?

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Should I expect some leg length shrinkage? Minimally. Try pulling on the legs while they're still wet.

Is it ok to just mix em with other clothes in the washing machine (in one of those washing net bags)? Would not advise.

Should I hot wash or cold wash them? Doesn't really matter.

Just put em in or turn them inside out first (i dont care about keepign the color, is the whole inside out thing just a myth to hold color or is that the way you should wash jeans)?Turning them inside-out isn't to hold the color, it's to help prevent the jeans from rubbing up against other objects in the wash. I'd recommend doing it this way.

There you go.

9. rstover

rstover Member

I recently purchased some Kicking Mule Workshop Rockers in 29 x 32 and have concerns about stretching. I am a 29 in APC NC, 28 in Helmut Lang classic raw, 29 in Acne. The jeans button up perfectly - not too snug but no visible space, but when I first tried on my APCs and HLs it was a challenge to button up and both have stretched to fit. Since the rumor is that Kicking Mules do NOT stretch to the extent of most raw denim I am torn between trading for 28s and keeping the 29s. Also, does anybody know if the 28s have a slimmer seat, thigh, and knee as well? (this would be preferable) Thanks mates.

10. spectzix

spectzix Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/Levis-Young-Me.../dp/B0018OQ93Y

i want to buy a pair of 514's

whats the best color that is closest to raw denim

tumbled rigid, slick dark, or clean dark?

and if my measured true waist size is 29, what should i wear for slim to skinny fit?

thanks

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/Levis-Young-Me.../dp/B0018OQ93Y

i want to buy a pair of 514's

whats the best color that is closest to raw denim

tumbled rigid, slick dark, or clean dark?

and if my measured true waist size is 29, what should i wear for slim to skinny fit?

thanks

I think the prefered choice is tumbled rigid. You should be fine in a 29. Run a search as there's a great thread on the 514s.

12. unicornwarrior

unicornwarrior Senior member

hey if I was interested in buying some KMW rockers and wanted them to fit as slim as possible would I size down? If i'm a 30.5-ish...would I wear a 29?

13. breakz

breakz Senior member

Here's an easy question for everyone: if you could cop Rag & Bone RB11s for cheaper than Crate Routes (say, $100), would you? What are the differences between the jeans?

EDIT: I'd also appreciate a thigh measurement from a pair of RB11s in size 31 if possible.

EDIT 2: For future reference thigh measurement on RB11s, size 31 is 11.75".

14. father's room

father's room Senior member

How slim is RB23 Jay Jeans?

15. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I'll take fit comments in stride. I'm posting this because the Wrangler's aren't too common and it's ironic how bad the N&F fit is on me when they're the same 'size'.

Wrangler Spencer's from Cultizm sale, 30x34. I really like these. I'm not going for skinny, just slim. I'm sure the stacking will settle a bit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Naked & Famous, Weird Guy Green Indigo's from Barney's sale, sz 30. Gonna give these to my taller, larger brother and re-ordered in sz 28. I took another photo from the side, but it was even more embarrassing. I'm still blocking out the back of my head, it's so bad. The color is completely off, sorry.

[​IMG]

16. onion

onion Senior member

The fit on those Wranglers is pretty much perfect for a "slim cut".

The N&F don't look horrible, but I agree with you, I think they look a tad too big.

17. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Go for the wranglers.
    They fit you beautifully!

18. Greeble

Greeble New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a jean that I can dress down - essentially something slim and straight, but not skinny, fairly dark that won't break in very easily, and minimalist. I was thinking some Nom De Guerre regular fit, but haven't handled them in person. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

19. breakz

breakz Senior member

Found RB11s on Tobi for super cheap, but they only have up to size 31. My true waist is 33" so could I fit into a 31? Will these stretch?

EDIT: Hmm, they're washed and non-selvedge...

20. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

That's a smokin price for the RB11s. I just can't warm up to those jeans.