• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
Next time I wander down to the swap meet I will scour the booths in search of your validation. Will I also need CoA and the laotian laborer's blood sample or will a photo do? Till then I'll save common sense conjecture for somewhere else.
Common sense? Your theory on RRL being counterfeited is simply just because you think so without any proof of it actually happening. Just because people could counterfeit an infinite number of products doesn't mean it actually happens. So again, it's really easy to prove me wrong here: either put up or shut up.

surfingmonkey815

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with NdG jeans? I've been contemplating picking up a pair but I'm curious how they compare in fit and quality to my other main stays, APC new standards and KMW 1980s

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Yes, I can't seem to find them anywhere though.
Farinelli's should be getting some in soon.
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Do Crate Routes stretch?
1-2".

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Farinelli's should be getting some in soon.

1-2".

uhoh.gif
I got a pair from Revolve and they fit my waist just about perfectly. I wonder how they would look worn lower on my hips. The rise is ******* enormous.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
uhoh.gif
I got a pair from Revolve and they fit my waist just about perfectly. I wonder how they would look worn lower on my hips. The rise is ******* enormous.

Things don't stretch just by looking at them. If you start off with a tight pair then they will stretch out more than a pair that fits loosely. Also, certain things can help minimize stretching like wearing a belt... Not sure if you're familiar with APC NS but I thought the Route rise was comparable to them.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things don't stretch just by looking at them. If you start off with a tight pair then they will stretch out more than a pair that fits loosely. Also, certain things can help minimize stretching like wearing a belt...

Not sure if you're familiar with APC NS but I thought the Route rise was comparable to them.

Doh...good point. No, I'm not really familiar with the NS. I tend to wear low rise jeans, but the price was really good and I'd been wanting to try some Crate. The denim is surprisingly nice for the price.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Please recomend me a jean... I currently have APC NC's in 28. I find them a little too tight around the knee and calf. Nudie Slim Jim dry black stretch in 29, I like the slim but not too tight feel. so, looking for something around $150-200, I'm not set on it being raw or selvedge but fit is important. I would like a relatively small pocket and short back yolk (I love NDG and KMW especially, but they seem to hang to low in the back visually) - suggestions? Thanks

michaelttizzle

Reaction score
I want apc ns but I don't think I want to pay $150 for my test run of raw jeans.

So I ask you:
Levis 514
Levis STF
Levis 501

I would like them to fit as close as possible to the New Standards or skinnier.
&
Which one fades the most?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Please recomend me a jean...

I currently have
APC NC's in 28. I find them a little too tight around the knee and calf.
Nudie Slim Jim dry black stretch in 29, I like the slim but not too tight feel.

so, looking for something around $150-200, I'm not set on it being raw or selvedge but fit is important. I would like a relatively small pocket and short back yolk (I love NDG and KMW especially, but they seem to hang to low in the back visually) - suggestions?

Thanks

Your price range limits you to certain brands or to B&S but...
-Have you tried APC Rescues?
-Crate Routes?
-NDG and KMW are out of that price range (new), as are a few other options.
-Naked & Famous has quite a wide variety of cuts, too. Good denim, so-so construction.

Originally Posted by michaelttizzle
So I ask you:
Levis 514
Levis STF
Levis 501

&

Levis STF is the 501 cut. Levis 514 are slim straight.

They're all going to fade about the same.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your price range limits you to certain brands or to B&S but... -Have you tried APC Rescues? -Crate Routes? -NDG and KMW are out of that price range (new), as are a few other options. -Naked & Famous has quite a wide variety of cuts, too. Good denim, so-so construction.
Uhhh, maybe I was unclear what I meant? I'm looking for something with a high small back pocket since I'm on the shorter side. I like a lot of what the KMW and NDG's are all about except that they have large low back pockets. On the other hand, the APC NC's are a little too extreme, so something inbetween. I'll drop the price limit criteria if that helps open options, assuming I can always wait for a deal or get second-hand. Thanks

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelttizzle
I want apc ns but I don't think I want to pay $150 for my test run of raw jeans.

So I ask you:
Levis 514
Levis STF
Levis 501

&

NS is probably somewhere in between the 511 (skinny/tapered) and 514 (slim straight) in terms of fit. STFs will fade better since they're raw, but are only available in the 501 cut. There are non-STF raw 514s, though: http://www.americanjeans.com/index.p...roducts_id=483

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more question. Routes are sanforized, right? So I don't have to worry about shrinking them before I hem them? If this is true, and I wear them without soaking, will I have to worry about the dye bleeding onto furniture?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, this is my first pair of actual raws. Normally I go with a dark wash, because I'm to lazy to worry about this stuff.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Crate denim are sanforized. They don't bleed much, and certainly not on furniture. Unless you do some heavy humping on furniture with jeans on. Perhaps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads