I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

You're right. This is my first time giving advice to someone on how to measure their own pants for a pair of APCs.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Anyways, I wasn't referring to you. When you said "You go down two sizes based on what your "usual" pants size is." I agreed with you. It finding my "usual pants size" that I'm trying to figure out. I measured my waist (I just went straight around my navel) and I got 30". I have a pair of Lee jeans that are 32 x 32 that I guess fit pretty good, but I could probably go a little tighter (I can fit three fingers in the side). So what am I looking at for my normal pants size?

2. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic.

Anyways, I wasn't referring to you. When you said "You go down two sizes based on what your "usual" pants size is." I agreed with you. It finding my "usual pants size" that I'm trying to figure out. I measured my waist (I just went straight around my navel) and I got 30". I have a pair of Lee jeans that are 32 x 32 that I guess fit pretty good, but I could probably go a little tighter (I can fit three fingers in the side). So what am I looking at for my normal pants size?

What I meant was, measure the waist of a pair of jeans that fit you well. Then go from there.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I have a pair of Lee jeans that are 32 x 32 that I guess fit pretty good, but I could probably go a little tighter (I can fit three fingers in the side). So what am I looking at for my normal pants size?
    You just answered your own questions.

4. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

What I meant was, measure the waist of a pair of jeans that fit you well. Then go from there.

Oh, OK. So like I said in my previous post, I have a pair of jeans that fit me pretty well at a size 32, but they might be a little loose considering I can stick three fingers sideways down the side of them when I'm wearing them. But if that means a good fit, then I guess I'm going to be ordering 29-30" pair. Probably 29."

Just wondering, does that really mean that I'm going to be fitting 29" around my 30" waist? Strange.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

No, actually measure. Get a tape measure, lay the jeans flat, measure the waistband and multiply by 2. Just because they're labelled 32 doesn't mean that's right, a lot of jeans are vanity sized.

6. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Oh, OK. So like I said in my previous post, I have a pair of jeans that fit me pretty well at a size 32, but they might be a little loose considering I can stick three fingers sideways down the side of them when I'm wearing them. But if that means a good fit, then I guess I'm going to be ordering 29-30" pair. Probably 29."
    I'd actually measure those jeans instead of going by the tagged size (use the BiG guide); they might be the same, or they might not.

Just wondering, does that really mean that I'm going to be fitting 29" around my 30" waist? Strange.
    APCs can stretch up to three inches in the waist. Provided you can at least fit through your legs through them, they'll pretty much stretch to fit you even if you can't button them up at first (unless you have an extremely odd body shape).

7. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

I'd actually measure those jeans instead of going by the tagged size (use the BiG guide); they might be the same, or they might not.

APCs can stretch up to three inches in the waist. Provided you can at least fit through your legs through them, they'll pretty much stretch to fit you even if you can't button them up at first (unless you have an extremely odd body shape).

Alright, cool. I'm also considering some Ande Whalls, but on their site they gave pretty good instructions on how their sizing works.

8. norbertr

norbertr Member

sorry if this has already been brought up, but i think i remember seeing a "how to distress your own denim" thread.. or something along those lines? I can't find it though. Is it still up?

9. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

10. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

clover apcs come 2 sizes larger than tagged, thats why you size down 2.

Alright, thanks. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards some Ande Whall Grifters anyways, but if I change my mind at least now I know how APC NS work.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Ande Whalls are notoriously slim... kind of hard to size. Make sure you get solid advice before purchasing from people who own them.

12. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Ande Whalls are notoriously slim... kind of hard to size. Make sure you get solid advice before purchasing from people who own them.
    From what I've read, it's not so much that Ande Whalls are slim, but that they run true to size (measured waist = tagged size exactly), while everything else tends to run at least an inch larger than tagged (which people have gotten used to).

13. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

Yeah, considering how long it would take to research a pair, order it, receive it, find out it doesn't fit, exchange it, and receive a better fitting pair would take, I really want to make sure I'm getting the right fit. That hassle coupled with a seeming lack of fit pictures and testimonials around the internet is what makes me kind of skeptical. However, what I do see and read looks really promising, and it's at a pretty reasonable price.

14. Clover216

Clover216 Senior member

Just to throw a wrench in this whole thing, what do you guys think about the Nudie Slim Jim Dry Broken Twill jeans? After searching it looks like these stretch, also. Can anyone verify?

15. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

All jeans stretch, if they're made of cotton. APCs just stretch more than others.