1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. theom-

theom- Senior member

I bought some Capital E Matchsticks a few months ago and they were supposedly rigid/raw. I've been trying to break them in and fade them by wearing as much as possible before I do the first wash. I've worn them a lot over the last few months - maybe on average 4 days a week. However there is no sign of fading! They have stretched in some places where they were previously snug, and they have developed some wrinkles (e.g. quasi honeycombs and whiskers), but there is really no fading at all. Shouldn't I have seen some fading by now? Could it be that they are not truly raw jeans or that Capital E denim isn't really suited for this? They looked raw when I got them but were softer than typical raw jeans. Do you have to have that extra rigid, cardboard kind stiffness to get fading without washing? I know Capital E's aren't that highly regarded here but I thought somebody might have some relevant knowledge about this nonetheless.
    Thanks.

Yeah in the future stay away from capital e. while they look nice when you buy them I've heard that they fall apart after serious wear.

2. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Anyone can point me to a resource on DIY Resin Coating? I want to retain that sheen and keep the indigo color dark.

3. Neorotic

Neorotic Member

I just scored my first pair of actually decent denim! Jack Threads has Nudie Straight Sven's on sale for $119, so I scooped up a pair.

My question is, I couldn't find Straight Sven on Nudie's website, so I was just wondering if anyone knew if they're true to size, or if they run big/small.

4. 4saken

4saken Senior member

My experience with Nudies is that the waist is larger than listed, and it will stretch maybe an inch or two.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Hello, a few questions from someone clueless about jeans.

1. I am buying to buy a pair of Levi 501s tomorrow. Are the rise on those designed to be worn at the waist or below the waist? I ask this because I have been seeing different information. Regardless of the rise, at the hips?

2. In what way is STF better than preshrunk? For someone that doesn't plan to wear jeans that often, is it worth the trouble?

Thanks.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

Hello, a few questions from someone clueless about jeans.

1. I am buying to buy a pair of Levi 501s tomorrow. Are the rise on those designed to be worn at the waist or below the waist? I ask this because I have been seeing different information. Regardless of the rise, at the hips?

2. In what way is STF better than preshrunk? For someone that doesn't plan to wear jeans that often, is it worth the trouble?

Thanks.

1) Depends on how you want to wear them: Trad/old man? At the waist. Otherwise, sag them down a bit. 2) It isn't other than if you're looking for a raw pair of Levi's it is sometimes easier to find STF than preshunk depending on the cut.

7. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

At approx. 4 months of wear without washing on some KMW 1980s MiC and getting this at the crotch area. Wash and get them patched and hemmed now or am I good to keep wearing them?

[​IMG]

8. connor

connor Senior member

if you don't have it patched or stitched up it will just keep getting bigger until it rips... i had a rip develop in the same area on my SJDJs a while ago and Kiya said if it had gotten any bigger they might not have been able to fix it. err on the side of caution IMO

anyways, i want to wash my jeans. if i throw it in a coldwater wash it shouldn't shrink too much, right? SJDJs are sanforized but i still want to minimize even that minimal amount of shrinkage; they are pretty snug as they sit.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

anyways, i want to wash my jeans. if i throw it in a coldwater wash it shouldn't shrink too much, right? SJDJs are sanforized but i still want to minimize even that minimal amount of shrinkage; they are pretty snug as they sit.
    Hot or cold the difference in shrinkage is about the same and is nullified once they stretch back out.

10. connor

connor Senior member

i'll probably wash cold then. wear around when i take them out of the washer?

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

That will help stretch them back out, yes.

12. connor

connor Senior member

right on, thanks

13. unicornwarrior

unicornwarrior Senior member

What's a good jean that fades relatively quick?

my wings and horns haven't done much fading, my naked and famous silk denim faded minimally.

I was either considering a pair of flatheads slim, apc nc, or n&f weird guys (sized down). I just want a jean that I can mess with to fade nicely.

also what is a good slim/skinny black jean? Can anyone recommend any particular brands?

14. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

What's a good jean that fades relatively quick?

my wings and horns haven't done much fading, my naked and famous silk denim faded minimally.

I was either considering a pair of flatheads slim, apc nc, or n&f weird guys (sized down). I just want a jean that I can mess with to fade nicely.

also what is a good slim/skinny black jean? Can anyone recommend any particular brands?

Flatheads and APC's fade notoriously fast.

Have you considered Ande Whall? Good cuts, great jean.

15. unicornwarrior

unicornwarrior Senior member

familiar with the product, I didn't know he carried black jeans.

i'll look into it.

16. adversity04

adversity04 Senior member

if you don't have it patched or stitched up it will just keep getting bigger until it rips... i had a rip develop in the same area on my SJDJs a while ago and Kiya said if it had gotten any bigger they might not have been able to fix it. err on the side of caution IMO

Yeah....about that. Managed to rip em open today. I'll post pics after I wash them. Taking them to the tailor monday.

17. connor

connor Senior member

lol once it is started to that degree it is very easy to go- i had a hole like in your picture and then got called down for an activity at a pep rally... ripped wide open during a little run around :/

18. free man

free man Senior member

What is a pair of jeans that fits like a fully stretched out pair of APC sz 29's? Obviously that isn't a APC sz 29.

19. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

What is a pair of jeans that fits like a fully stretched out pair of APC sz 29's? Obviously that isn't a APC sz 29.
    Hard to say, because a) you didn't say which fit, and b) "fully stretched out" varies, because jeans will only stretch as much as they need to in order to accommodate the wearer, and each person not only has a different body, but sizes the same jean differently.

Best thing to do would be to take full measurements for the APCs in question and post them, and maybe someone could help you.

20. v3l

v3l Senior member

Anyone know where you can buy APCs in Houston? Looking to get some relatively cheap raw denim to try it out over the summer. Probably should have gotten a pair in NYC while I was there but didn't think about it..