Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

just some clarification on rag and bone jeans - are they sanfordized and how much will they strech before first wash(approx)?

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

A good majority of designer jeans are sanforized since the general public is relatively clueless about STF; so yes, rb is sanforized.

I haven't found rb to stretch that much, maybe an inch or so?

3. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

if you're going to come at my english/writing prowess you're barking up the wrong tree big guy.

<----- scored better than you on any english/writing exam ever and has been published several times. also english major.

however, i completely understand that you have a reputation to uphold here on styleforum.

i respect the effort.

PS: i will keep track of the pics btw because i want to create something similar to this:

[​IMG]

credit xcoalesce of sufu on his APCs. washed once a month for the first four months he had them. so he says. seems almost unbelievable unless he runs up and down hills all day.

I didn't know APCs faded that nicely. The original color looked almost black with visible white threads from the warp or weft. I never thought the color would fade to blue. Thanks for sharing.

4. BradBurns

BradBurns New Member

Are there any Levi's that are similar to the Tommy Hilfiger ones that are Custom Straight, sits below waist, slightly fitted through thigh, straight leg, W36 (or W34) L32.

Thanks.

P.P. I know it seems kind of annoying that a question is my first post but I'll be taking pictures once I get a better clothing selection. And participating more. I like how this forum tries to stick with stuff that works rather than weird fashion trends.

5. whodini

^^^

You might have a rough time getting an answer to that question as I would assume no one on here wears Tommy Hilfiger or is familiar with the brand enough to know what kind of model you're looking for.

If you're looking for a slim straight, look up the Levi's 514 thread.

6. BradBurns

BradBurns New Member

^^^

You might have a rough time getting an answer to that question as I would assume no one on here wears Tommy Hilfiger or is familiar with the brand enough to know what kind of model you're looking for.

If you're looking for a slim straight, look up the Levi's 514 thread.

Thanks for the answer. I was aware how TH is not looked upon that greatly here but I had a friend who worked there and I could get half off anything there. I'll just have to try the different kinds myself like a normal person would! Thanks again!

7. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

I didn't know APCs faded that nicely. The original color looked almost black with visible white threads from the warp or weft. I never thought the color would fade to blue. Thanks for sharing.

me too man, me too. thats pretty much an APC grail pic for me.

the guy says he wore them hard for 4 months straight, washing once each month with a plastic brush, detergent in the washing machine and then tumble dry.

idk about all that but i washed mine on cold with a little detergent the other night and hung them to dry and now they're actually blue jeans lol

8. aleeboy

aleeboy Senior member

All,

I recently had a paif of my jeans taken up. I'm based in Korea and the usual method that alteration shops follow is to cut the original hem line off and then take off the required amount and restitch it back to give the jeans. This keeps the look and feel of the jeans true to the original. I dropped of an older pair of jeans to the local cleaners, and they, to my shock and horror, simply cut off the length and then stitched the hemline. I am now left with a pair of expensive jeans that resemble a pair of pants in the way they wear. I am missing the weight and stiffness that a solid hem line gives to jeans.

My fellow SF'ers, is there anything I can do to restore the original feel and look? Is it a double fold hem line with some sand papering? Inputs please.

AL

9. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

A good majority of designer jeans are sanforized since the general public is relatively clueless about STF; so yes, rb is sanforized.

I haven't found rb to stretch that much, maybe an inch or so?

thanks. I was in the barneys outlet at woodbury commons yesterday and was about to pull the trigger on the only black pair(not sure what model it was... was a slim-straight fit), that was my true size for $120....but i didn't cuz i thought there would be stretching. oh well.

10. whodini

thanks. I was in the barneys outlet at woodbury commons yesterday and was about to pull the trigger on the only black pair(not sure what model it was... was a slim-straight fit), that was my true size for $120....but i didn't cuz i thought there would be stretching. oh well.
    For future reference, people don't need to be so concerned about taking a pair of jeans that fits well from the get-go as a bad sign. If it fits fine, accept that it will stretch an inch or so and know that you can always wear a belt to limit it. It also helps to remember that APCs are really more of the notorious brands with regards to super-stretching denim. Everyone else seems pretty par for the course.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

All,

I recently had a paif of my jeans taken up. I'm based in Korea and the usual method that alteration shops follow is to cut the original hem line off and then take off the required amount and restitch it back to give the jeans. This keeps the look and feel of the jeans true to the original. I dropped of an older pair of jeans to the local cleaners, and they, to my shock and horror, simply cut off the length and then stitched the hemline. I am now left with a pair of expensive jeans that resemble a pair of pants in the way they wear. I am missing the weight and stiffness that a solid hem line gives to jeans.

My fellow SF'ers, is there anything I can do to restore the original feel and look? Is it a double fold hem line with some sand papering? Inputs please.

AL

I think you have the right idea. Use some sandpaper on them.

12. aleeboy

aleeboy Senior member

I think you have the right idea. Use some sandpaper on them.

Do you know what they do to the hem to give it so much weight? Is it double fold and stitch? My jeans are like a pair of wool trousers flapping around in the wind. Not good!

13. Bun_b

Bun_b Member

Yes that is how they do it double fold and stitch make sure they use the chainstitch

14. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

36/34, muscular build

No nothing about denim other than GAP, Levis, etc.

Suggestions? Cheers. I'm old [​IMG]

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Thread at the top of the page is there for this reason.