• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Tek_

Reaction score
How do Skull 5010xx's one-wash fit? If I'm a 33" true waist, would a size 32 be alright? I don't want them to be painted on especially in the thigh/crotch area.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have a question, why doesn't this thread have/use the selvedge icon!?

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim experts, please critique.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Transcendental

Reaction score
FIT Help:

I need some help critiquing this fit...comments are welcome..

I have sort of large thighs, but they are really loose there, the calf area the only area lacking much slack, but they fit comfortably..

fitpic.jpg

The side view, however is a whole different story...that will probably change after the knee bulge goes away however

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Denim experts, please critique.
The fit looks pretty straight forward and standard for 501s. If you're looking for advice, a pair with a slightly lower rise might look more flattering as would a slightly slimmer cut. As they are right now they're more of a classic "dad" cut which is fine if you're going for something comfortable and casual. I wouldn't dress those things up any farther.
Originally Posted by Transcendental
FIT Help:

I need some help critiquing this fit...comments are welcome..

I have sort of large thighs, but they are really loose there, the calf area the only area lacking much slack, but they fit comfortably..

I suppose you could go for a cut that's slimmer through the thighs. The fit looks fine but be aware that it's definitely a carrot (loose top, skinny bottom). You might want to try experimenting with sagging them down a little bit; otherwise, live with or move on.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up some new jawnz at UO. I found some raw Levi's 511 in black with a green weft. I bought my regular waist size wihout thinking to account for stretch. I did try on the 28s but they were way too tight. Anyone know how much Levis tend to stretch?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please help me find some jeans people.

I am looking for a slim fit indigo jean. No carrot top, relaxed, super skinny or baggy, although slightly tapered is fine.

I would like a medium rise and raw or washed denim.

The Somet 003 and 005 look good but they might have a rise that is a bit low. Iron Hearts look good too but they may be too relaxed. I can't try on either locally.

I am 39, so I want something age appropriate (no mega distressed or super low rise).

I would like a style that looks good now and and will look good three years from now.

I wear a 32 to 34 waist depending on the jeans. I have a 34 inch inseam.

I will spend $300 or more if that is what it takes.

Is there anything better out there for me than Somet or Iron Heart based on this description?

Thanks.

D

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Just picked up some new jawnz at UO. I found some raw Levi's 511 in black with a green weft. I bought my regular waist size wihout thinking to account for stretch. I did try on the 28s but they were way too tight. Anyone know how much Levis tend to stretch?

You'll be fine. Levi's stretch more than most better denim brands often mentioned here (with the obvious exception of APC), but most of the stretch will come in the waist and can be easily prevented/solved by wearing a belt. Elsewhere(thighs, knees etc.) won't see much stretch, so sizing down to 28 is not gonna work fo you.

Originally Posted by DLester
Please help me find some jeans people.

I am looking for a slim fit indigo jean. No carrot top, relaxed, super skinny or baggy, although slightly tapered is fine.

I would like a medium rise and raw or washed denim.

The Somet 003 and 005 look good but they might have a rise that is a bit low. Iron Hearts look good too but they may be too relaxed. I can't try on either locally.

I am 39, so I want something age appropriate (no mega distressed or super low rise).

I would like a style that looks good now and and will look good three years from now.

I wear a 32 to 34 waist depending on the jeans. I have a 34 inch inseam.

I will spend $300 or more if that is what it takes.

Is there anything better out there for me than Somet or Iron Heart based on this description?

Thanks.

D

Kicking Mule Workshop 1980

Studio D'Artisan SD103xx

Samurai VX5000xx

Flathead 3100

and many others...

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah well the thing is that i don't really like the fit in the legs on the 30s. I like the fit much better on the 28s but i can just barely button them up. I don't want something quite as tight as my NCs with slightly more room in the crotch.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have posted the pictures below to get some additonal thoughts/opinions on these new white Levi's I picked up. These are the new slim straight Levi's 514 cut with a 32L inseam. My question is whether or not I should stay with this inseam and go with some stacking as shown or go down to my regular 30L inseam? I felt the 30L's that I tried on hovered a bit too high above the ground and thought after washing/drying they might shrink a bit as well so I opted for the 32L. Do you think I made the right choice? Does the stacking look bad? I don't have pictures of the 30L, sorry about that. Opinions are much welcome. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I would hem them or get a 30L. They might look ok with a longer inseam stacked, but the length now is too short for good stacking, and too long for a clean look.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
What might a tailor charge to take the 'bell' out of a pair of USN issue dungarees?

Also, I am thinking of buying some overalls... any suggestions as to how one might wear these and not look completely 'affected'.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim Doctors charges something like $35, I believe, so you're probably looking at less than that for your ordinary neighborhood tailor.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been wearing my Dior MIJ Indigo raws for about 2 months now and want to hot soak them to lose some indigo for contrast.

Good or bad idea?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads