Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

how many types of selvedge denim are there? are there classes of selvedge denim and/or is selvedge denim automatically better than non-selvedge denim? how do i find out the weight of the denim and quality of the selvedge fabric?
    Many. No. No. Ask the company/research.

2. RipRoar

RipRoar Active Member

Real SF n00b here (transplant from AAAC) - Can you guys recommend a dark non-raw selvage pair of denim? I like the straight, semi-slim fit of APC Rescues, Nudie Average Joes, etc. but prefer not to undergo the break-in process. What can I say, I am impatient [​IMG] . Also, would prefer that they stay nice and dark without whiskering or fading.

Have tried Levi's 514, and like them, but want something a bit nicer.

Thanks!

3. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Senior member

recommendations for jeans with a large thigh and strong taper (to around 8" leg opening)?
    something similar to levis 501s perhaps?

4. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

recommendations for jeans with a large thigh and strong taper (to around 8" leg opening)?

I think they're smaller than 8" at the hem, but Imperial Shearers have a massive taper.

5. dls6128

dls6128 Senior member

Can anyone explain the difference between the different APC jean styles? I'm thinking about getting a pair of raw jeans and working them in, but I'm not sure where to begin. I wear 31x32 in Levi's, but I wear them pretty low on my hips (so I could probably work with 31x33). I'm 6'1, and about 155 lbs.

Also, I'm curious -Â why are bootcuts so reviled here? I'm not quite sure how I feel about them one way or another, but I'm surprised at the level of criticism they inspire.

6. acw816

acw816 Senior member

hey guys so i have nudie grim tim dry black selvage. my true waist is 29 and i went true to size on these. after reading about them tho, it looks like these are slightly bigger than the organic grim tims. heres fit pics. what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres my fit pics on my organic grim tims sz 29
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

Ande Whall cougar

8. milosz

milosz Senior member

Anyone know of a dry carpenter jean, cut basically like a 501 or a little wider at the hem?

9. whodini

hey guys so i have nudie grim tim dry black selvage. my true waist is 29 and i went true to size on these. after reading about them tho, it looks like these are slightly bigger than the organic grim tims. heres fit pics. what do you guys think?
    I wouldn't go TTS on grims to begin with unless I really, really wanted an anti-fit. The first photos are prime examples of how the jeans shouldn't look. The organics look fine but if you went TTS then they probably still have a small bit of room in the waist, huh?

10. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

The first photos are prime examples of how the jeans shouldn't look.

How so? In the sense of, "this looks too _______" and "you don't want this part to look like this"?

The one shot makes the guys ankles look they are dislocated. [​IMG]

11. whodini

How so? In the sense of, "this looks too _______" and "you don't want this part to look like this"?

The one shot makes the guys ankles look they are dislocated. [​IMG]

In the sense that they're far too loose. The Grim Tim is supposed to fit between a Slim Jim and a Thin Finn. In the very first photo they almost look too loose to even be SJ's; something's wrong.

12. HighSociety

HighSociety Well-Known Member

13. hyperjedz

hyperjedz Member

14. whodini

Can anyone explain the difference between the different APC jean styles? I'm thinking about getting a pair of raw jeans and working them in, but I'm not sure where to begin. I wear 31x32 in Levi's, but I wear them pretty low on my hips (so I could probably work with 31x33). I'm 6'1, and about 155 lbs.

Also, I'm curious -Â why are bootcuts so reviled here? I'm not quite sure how I feel about them one way or another, but I'm surprised at the level of criticism they inspire.

1) Check the APC thread and you'll get all your info. If you want to go into APC for sure then you're probably looking at New Standards in a size 29.
    2) Personal preference and a hint of timelessness that straight-legs bring when mixed together on here will give you hatred for the bootcut. They went out a few years ago but like anything in fashion it's likely to come back any season now.
    Real SF n00b here (transplant from AAAC) - Can you guys recommend a dark non-raw selvage pair of denim? I like the straight, semi-slim fit of APC Rescues, Nudie Average Joes, etc. but prefer not to undergo the break-in process. What can I say, I am impatient [​IMG] . Also, would prefer that they stay nice and dark without whiskering or fading.

Have tried Levi's 514, and like them, but want something a bit nicer.

Thanks!

Is that you don't like the "break-in process" because the jeans are stiff? If that's the case you could go with either jean you mentioned and simply wash them in woolite and/or cold water to remove as much starch as you can and just wear. Otherwise... I think you have your terminology confused; "raw" should the same as "dark" in your description and usage. If you're adamant about them being resistant to fading, Iron Hearts have a healthy reputation for staying dark for a long, long time.

15. brohymn

brohymn Senior member

Those black grim tims look pretty horrible haha. The organics look pretty good.

I wear my black tims sized down 2, fwiw.