I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. noorotic

noorotic Active Member

Anybody know which Samurai cut is closest to KMW 1950?

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

typically 33, occasionally 34.
    Sizing down one is about as far as I'd go, personally. However, you need to figure out for yourself if you mind the fit being a bit looser in the long run or if you'd prefer to deal with uncomfortable jeans for xxx weeks so that they fit a bit more snug. I don't subscribe to the "size down as far as you possibly can so that the jeans look like they fit new in six months" philosophy. Get a decent fit going, albeit slightly uncomfortable initially, and let the jeans be jeans.

3. unko

unko Well-Known Member

Just received my Okinawas from Self Edge today, any fit comments would be appreciated! Not the usual size down-till-you-can't-button-'em fit, but I kind of like the change...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Looks good. That's how 'Canes are meant to fit, IMHO. The typical sufu users who size down on those probably should have looked at other cuts to begin with.

5. DDSJohnny

DDSJohnny Senior member

looking to buy straight leg rrl selvedge raw jeans and had a couple questions as these are my first pair of selvedge jeans.

my natural waist is 33 inches. will a 32x32 be a good fit for me? i've seen some RRL jeans on sale in the buy/sell section and it seems that the waist is either larger than the tagged size or they have stretched.

will these shrink after a wash? the inseam is 32 and i'd like the jeans to remain at that inseam. if these will shrink after a wash, how much will it shrink?

thanks in advance

6. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Sizing down one is about as far as I'd go, personally. However, you need to figure out for yourself if you mind the fit being a bit looser in the long run or if you'd prefer to deal with uncomfortable jeans for xxx weeks so that they fit a bit more snug.

I don't subscribe to the "size down as far as you possibly can so that the jeans look like they fit new in six months" philosophy. Get a decent fit going, albeit slightly uncomfortable initially, and let the jeans be jeans.

Thanks for the help. The more I think about it the more I realize I got the right size.

7. whodini

looking to buy straight leg rrl selvedge raw jeans and had a couple questions as these are my first pair of selvedge jeans.

my natural waist is 33 inches. will a 32x32 be a good fit for me? i've seen some RRL jeans on sale in the buy/sell section and it seems that the waist is either larger than the tagged size or they have stretched.

Not all RRL generations are the same so you need to tell us if you're buying these things new from a store, new from another seller, etc.

The new stuff tends to be true to size, for the older stuff you'll need measurements as they tend to be vanity sized.

They tend to stretch out about 1"-2" so you can figure out if that's the kind of fit you want to end up with.

8. DDSJohnny

DDSJohnny Senior member

thanks for the info. they're newer gen so i think they'll work nicely.

pulling the trigger right now. thanks again whodini for the help!

9. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

+1 thats a solid fit edit: to whacked's comment about unko's canes

10. bure

bure Senior member

Q: When you taper a pair of jeans, do they need to re-do the hem (aka, remove the chainstitch and hem again)?

A: ?

11. whodini

Q: When you taper a pair of jeans, do they need to re-do the hem (aka, remove the chainstitch and hem again)? A: ?
    Yes, but depending on the tailor they can do it completely over again (the hemming) or only do what's needed. My tailor did the latter when I had a pair tapered. Basically, it's half chain, half regular. Kind of hard to explain but it works.

12. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

I recently purchased 3 pair of jeans:

1) WESC Standard 5 Pocket Jean in Salvage Denim
    2) Good Society Straight Leg in Raw
    3) rrl selvedge raw (same as above I think)

Does anybody know which ones are sanforized and which ones will shrink? For the ones that shrink, how much will they shrink in the waist and in the inseam?

Thks all!

13. whodini

Man, shrinkage questions are hotter than souljaboy these days. All your jeans are sanforized.

14. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

Man, shrinkage questions are hotter than souljaboy these days. All your jeans are sanforized.
    Thks man! Coming from you (I checked your RRL Jean thread after posting my questions), I consider the matter solved.

At least, the shrinkage questions are in this forum, and not in the health forum [​IMG]

15. boo

boo Senior member

Can someone compare the fit between the Samurai S5000bk/S5000VX to the FlatHead 380? I believe they're both straight leg jeans, so would they fit the same, or is one slimmer than the other? does 32 in Samurai = 32 in Flat Head?