1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. theom-

theom- Senior member

Just picked up some new jawnz at UO. I found some raw Levi's 511 in black with a green weft. I bought my regular waist size wihout thinking to account for stretch. I did try on the 28s but they were way too tight. Anyone know how much Levis tend to stretch?

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

removed multiple post

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Please help me find some jeans people.

I am looking for a slim fit indigo jean. No carrot top, relaxed, super skinny or baggy, although slightly tapered is fine.

I would like a medium rise and raw or washed denim.

The Somet 003 and 005 look good but they might have a rise that is a bit low. Iron Hearts look good too but they may be too relaxed. I can't try on either locally.

I am 39, so I want something age appropriate (no mega distressed or super low rise).

I would like a style that looks good now and and will look good three years from now.

I wear a 32 to 34 waist depending on the jeans. I have a 34 inch inseam.

I will spend $300 or more if that is what it takes.

Is there anything better out there for me than Somet or Iron Heart based on this description?

Thanks.

D

4. whacked

whacked Senior member

Just picked up some new jawnz at UO. I found some raw Levi's 511 in black with a green weft. I bought my regular waist size wihout thinking to account for stretch. I did try on the 28s but they were way too tight. Anyone know how much Levis tend to stretch?

You'll be fine. Levi's stretch more than most better denim brands often mentioned here (with the obvious exception of APC), but most of the stretch will come in the waist and can be easily prevented/solved by wearing a belt. Elsewhere(thighs, knees etc.) won't see much stretch, so sizing down to 28 is not gonna work fo you.

Please help me find some jeans people.

I am looking for a slim fit indigo jean. No carrot top, relaxed, super skinny or baggy, although slightly tapered is fine.

I would like a medium rise and raw or washed denim.

The Somet 003 and 005 look good but they might have a rise that is a bit low. Iron Hearts look good too but they may be too relaxed. I can't try on either locally.

I am 39, so I want something age appropriate (no mega distressed or super low rise).

I would like a style that looks good now and and will look good three years from now.

I wear a 32 to 34 waist depending on the jeans. I have a 34 inch inseam.

I will spend $300 or more if that is what it takes.

Is there anything better out there for me than Somet or Iron Heart based on this description?

Thanks.

D

Kicking Mule Workshop 1980

Studio D'Artisan SD103xx

Samurai VX5000xx

Flathead 3100

and many others...

5. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah well the thing is that i don't really like the fit in the legs on the 30s. I like the fit much better on the 28s but i can just barely button them up. I don't want something quite as tight as my NCs with slightly more room in the crotch.

6. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Alright guys, I have posted the pictures below to get some additonal thoughts/opinions on these new white Levi's I picked up. These are the new slim straight Levi's 514 cut with a 32L inseam. My question is whether or not I should stay with this inseam and go with some stacking as shown or go down to my regular 30L inseam? I felt the 30L's that I tried on hovered a bit too high above the ground and thought after washing/drying they might shrink a bit as well so I opted for the 32L. Do you think I made the right choice? Does the stacking look bad? I don't have pictures of the 30L, sorry about that. Opinions are much welcome. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. onion

onion Senior member

^^^ I would hem them or get a 30L. They might look ok with a longer inseam stacked, but the length now is too short for good stacking, and too long for a clean look.

8. robbie

robbie Senior member

What might a tailor charge to take the 'bell' out of a pair of USN issue dungarees?

Also, I am thinking of buying some overalls... any suggestions as to how one might wear these and not look completely 'affected'.

9. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Denim Doctors charges something like $35, I believe, so you're probably looking at less than that for your ordinary neighborhood tailor.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I've been wearing my Dior MIJ Indigo raws for about 2 months now and want to hot soak them to lose some indigo for contrast.

Good or bad idea?

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

I've been wearing my Dior MIJ Indigo raws for about 2 months now and want to hot soak them to lose some indigo for contrast. Good or bad idea?
    What contrast are you going to have after two months?

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What contrast are you going to have after two months?

I have pretty high contrasts along the edges of my wallet in my backpocket.

Honeycombs are slightly lighter.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

I have pretty high contrasts along the edges of my wallet in my backpocket. Honeycombs are slightly lighter.
    I'm going to assume you've never washed raw jeans before. Two schools of thought: 1) Wash regularly since the jeans will still show contrast fades from wear. The downside is that each wash progressively lightens up the rest of the denim, not just the spots that show wear. Sure, there'll be contrast but it simply won't be night/day like you might have in your mind. 2) Wash at longer intervals to keep the jeans as dark as possible and exaggerate wear. The downside is alleged denim breakdown and that the jeans will still be a couple of shades lighter than they originally were because of fading from the sun and wear in general. Don't think that a hot wash with soap is some kind of magically process by which your jeans suddenly look completely broken-in and faded. Results are usually not very dramatic, especially at short/early intervals because there simply isn't much being stripped in the process. As always, YMMV.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm going to assume you've never washed raw jeans before.

Two schools of thought:
    1) Wash regularly since the jeans will still show contrast fades from wear. The downside is that each wash progressively lightens up the rest of the denim, not just the spots that show wear. Sure, there'll be contrast but it simply won't be night/day like you might have in your mind.
    2) Wash at longer intervals to keep the jeans as dark as possible and exaggerate wear. The downside is alleged denim breakdown and that the jeans will still be a couple of shades lighter than they originally were because of fading from the sun and wear in general.

Don't think that a hot wash with soap is some kind of magically process by which your jeans suddenly look completely broken-in and faded. Results are usually not very dramatic, especially at short/early intervals because there simply isn't much being stripped in the process.

As always, YMMV.

Thanks, I guess I'll hold off on the soak for now. Another reason why I wanted to hot soak them was to reduce the knee bags.. They are really really saggy and just throw off the look of my jeans entirely.

15. Johnnyscans

Johnnyscans Well-Known Member

Looking to pick up a nice pair of black jeans to give my blues a much needed break. I have a pair of Rescues (sized down 2-3) that I love the fit of, so I'd prefer something similar. I've heard great things about Skull, and the 50-10 Blacks look to be what I'm looking for. How will these, bought true to size, compare to my sized down Rescues.

16. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Totally different cut: 5010 is slim, low-rise and tapered. Even if you size up they won't fit like Rescues.

Somet 003 isn't as slim as Skull, but also has a lowish rise and is slightly tapered. Pure Blue Japan 005bk is slimmer than Rescues in the top block, and has a lower rise, but fits straight through the legs. If you size up you basically get a lower-rise Rescue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Samurai S5000 is probably your best bet, right down to the 36" inseam (although even that has a tiny taper).

17. constantine.

constantine. Senior member

can anyone chime on on the quality of Acne jeans.
    also, which one fits more like a Slim Jim: Max or Mic?
    thanks.

18. Johnathan

Johnathan Senior member

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

^^^

Looks pretty painted on around the thighs.

20. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

they look kind of short. the hem looks like its made for stacking but there's nothing there to stack.