I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Thanks. Still wondering on NS? I'd like to be able to try a pair on but my local Holt's isn't carrying them anymore.

2. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

If I'm a size 31 in Levi's 501's (rather slim cut imo), 30 in "mall jeans" and 29 in NS. What size KMW 1980 or KMW Rocker's should i get?

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

If I'm a size 31 in Levi's 501's (rather slim cut imo), 30 in "mall jeans" and 29 in NS. What size KMW 1980 or KMW Rocker's should i get?

Depends on the fit but probably 31 as KMWs are pretty TTS. I suppose they'll stretch a bit but not nearly as much as the APC. Keep in mind the Rockers are a really slim jean.

4. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Not worthy of its own thread...but gearing up for The Wire finale tomorrow night, I was partaking in a McNutty Jameson tribute whilst cooking dinner....then remembered that I forgot to workout this morning...so I decided to do a crossfit back squat workout and some bagwork in my Samurais that are a bit too small. They are no longer a bit too small, back squats stretch out the tight thighs pretty damn well, FYI. Where's my whiskey? [​IMG]

5. denning

denning Senior member

So I've narrowed down my list for my new jeans to either the Flathead F310 (or 3001) or the KMW 1980's. I like the Flathead denim and have heard great things about their wear properties, but am a little concerned about the F310s as I have heard that sizing on those, despite the company saying there is no difference in cut from the 3001s, has been inconsistent at best. I like the KMW denim as well and have heard that quality on them is top notch, but I HATE the coin pocket selvage.

So I've settled on 31 if it's the KMWs, what size for the FHs? I'm thinking 31 based on this site (http://www.flat-head.co.uk/sizing.htm) but I'm a little unsure given the shrinking and stretching.

Any other opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

The thing with the Flatheads is that they're unsanforized which means you're going to have to soak them yourself to get them to their true size. The cons of that is it may be more difficult for you to get the full shrinkage out of them (if you do a really good hot soak and perhaps dryer you can do it). The pros of it is that depending on how they fit you pre-soak, you can shrink them more or less to get them to fit you best or sit in a really hot tub for awhile in the jeans and let them dry to your body. If you think you're a 31 in PBJs, i'd get a 31 in flathead310. User Kiya on this site owns the only store in the US that sells flatheads and i think he would agree about going true to size. You can PM him if you needed more info.

7. bure

bure Senior member

I'm looking for these Earnest Sewn Fulton 50's and from past threads I've seen them on sale at places for ~$40!

I was wondering if there is anywhere currently selling these for a similar low price? All I see is $210.... I'm a size 30 in them by the way. Thanks!

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I thought shoe was selling some for $40...

9. bure

bure Senior member

I thought shoe was selling some for $40...

He's selling black ES Fulton's, they're a bit different than the ones I want though thanks.

Any other ideas?

10. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I bought a pair of APC NS (yeah, the "My first raw denim" jeans of choice) about 4 months ago, I got them in a 31, based on my readings from the forum here. At first they were really snug, but now have stretched out perfectly, maybe a little loose in the waist, but barely, and I'm very happy with them.

Now I'm considering a pair of black raw denim, specifically the Samurai S710BK, but I'm unsure about a couple of things so I thought I'd put it to the folks who know! How do they fit compared to the NS and what size should I get?

From the measurements posted at BiG, taking into account they'll shrink by ~2" in the wasit, I'm leaning towards a 33.

Any other suggestions? I thought about the Imperial Dukes in black, but I'm really not a fan of the back pocket stictching.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

11. Homme

Homme Senior member

12. cinnamon

cinnamon Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for jeans with a slightly more relaxed, but still somewhat slim, fit?

I'm completely new to nice denim, and right now the only jeans I have are a pair of H&M SLIQs. While I like the fit a lot (size 30), they fit a little too skinny for daily wear.

Unfortunately, the area I'm in (Ann Arbor, MI) doesn't have any stores that sell nice brands of jeans, so my options for trying things on are limited.

anyone?

13. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

PC new standards only sized down one would work. Nudie Straigh Sven. Skull 5507. Samurai s5000 or s0500. Kicking Mule Workshop 1980. Levis 514 (since you seem to like really cheap jeans although i'd reccomend something better). There are a million options. Take measurements of your h&m slicks, note the areas you'd like to improve the fit and then check the forum affiliates and www.blueingreensoho.com and find a bunch of nice jeans. Gotta put a bit more work into it than you have though. The information is out there but you can't be lazy.

14. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

Homme, though I realize 19oz denim is heavier than my APCs and so would be warmer, I didn't think it would be so heavy as to be unwearable in Australian heat. You're in Sydney, right? Where it's mostly cooler than in Brisbane where I am, so I don't take your comments lightly. Do you really think it would be unbearable all year, or only on the 30+ days?

Are there any other recomendations out there for a pair of raw, slim, but not skinny black denim?

15. Jared

Jared Senior member

What allows denim to stretch? Why do APCs stretch more than other brands? Does having elastane in the fabric effect how the cotton stretches?

Background: My sister is looking at a pair of Naked and Famous jeans and wants to know whether she has to get them as tight as my APC NSs were when I bought them.