1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Listi

Listi Senior member

does all rll denim have odd sizing or just the first generation stuff (crazy western stiching on back pockets) ?

do these fit more true to size?
    [​IMG]

I'm wearing some 28x34 RRLs that fit more like a 30x34, it's all fucked up.

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

does all rll denim have odd sizing or just the first generation stuff (crazy western stiching on back pockets) ?

do these fit more true to size?

Not all RRL jeans have odd sizing. The major issues were with the second generations that flooded the ebay market about two years ago, ie, size 27 measuring out to 32". In the case of the jeans you posted it's somewhat hard to tell if they'll be TTS ALTHOUGH I have seen quite a few of that gen and model being as much as 2"+ bigger than tagged as Listi mentioned. Why can't you just ask the seller for measurements?
    Possibly, but I tend to categorize them more or less like this....raw (sanforized or unsanforized), "washed" (could be dark wash, stonewash etc.) and distressed. At least for me there is a much bigger difference between raw and distressed than there is between raw and "washed".

To me, the difference between washed and distressed is the extent to which something has been done to the jeans prior to wearing.

You originally asked if non-distressed jeans were not necessarily raw; have no idea where you're going with distressed vs. washed as it's night and day. My point was that one-wash jeans are still raw and that "one wash" and "dark wash" can be synonymous as times, especially with a few brands on this forum.
    ^ Remember that hip is wider than waist on most people, so lower rise jeans measure larger than tagged at waistband simply because they sit on the hip instead of the waist.

Crate Journal, for example, is a strange case as they're low-rise jeans with waistband measured at tagged size. So one would have to size up for these, either 1 or 2 size; whodini went up 2.

I'm touched, whacked, that you remember my my story. [​IMG]

But yes, the Journals are tagged TTS yet have a very low rise (a shade under 9" on a 34 model.) While I'm typically a 32 there was little to no way that I could have worn those jeans long enough for them to stretch out to 34" so that they could sit on my waist and I could actually button them up. In retrospect, the jeans did end up stretching out 1"-2" so I should have stuck to only sizing one up but I simply didn't want to deal with days of a button or two being undone.

I'll tell you, sizing down on lower-rise jeans is a fuckload harder than say something around the 10" mark. You simply can't not get away with it or even try to hide it.

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Ah, thanks. I guess I'll just trek up to Madison and have the guys at Context help me out. Have you seen any post-wash photos that show the darts? I didn't realize that they were so prominently placed...

Yeah, I didn't either until I saw the washed pics. I can't remember exactly where I saw them - it was either here or sufu, in an evo thread or a Somet thread.

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Yeah, I definitely see what you all are saying, and thanks for the advice, but I'll complicate it even more---- the rise on a size 32 is 10". A 34" waist basically means it will be sitting on my hips as you all guessed, but with the 10" rise, maybe I'll expect a bit of a drop crotch effect? I dunno. These jeans are pretty odd.

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

Yeah, I definitely see what you all are saying, and thanks for the advice, but I'll complicate it even more---- the rise on a size 32 is 10". A 34" waist basically means it will be sitting on my hips as you all guessed, but with the 10" rise, maybe I'll expect a bit of a drop crotch effect? I dunno. These jeans are pretty odd.
    I think you're just in between sizes. Again, simply based on my own measurements, if I went for the 32 it would fit pretty low on my hips and be somewhat anti-fit; at 30, they'd fit relatively like my Crate Sallys (9.5" rise, 32" waist on a tagged 32). I don't know. The denim on the Sallys is rather light and stretches out fairly easily but who knows what Mr.Olive denim is like (maybe PM Jay.) Here's a photo for reference a day or two after I picked up the Sallys: [​IMG]

6. blynch

blynch Senior member

I'm looking for a slight boot cut or straight cut raw or one wash jean with a roomy thigh. I am 6' tall 170lbs and measure: waist 33", upper thigh 24", mid thigh 22".

I have a pair of size 29 rescues that used to fit ok, but my thighs got a little bigger and they are uncomfortably tight only in the thigh and a bit loose in the waist and seat. They measure: waist 34", upper thigh 24". The inseem measure 34" now and is about perfect, I'm sure it started a bit longer though.

Heres what I'm looking at so far:
    Studio D'Artisan Jeans - D-1002 Slim Boot Cut LHT
    Sugar Canes 1947 (one wash or shrink to fit)
    Nudie Regular Ralph
    5ep Low Down Boot
    Ande Whall Cougar Boot Cut

Any recommendations on which of these would be the better fit and which size to get in them, also how much each of these stretches or shrinks. I've been looking around at size charts and I can't get a very good idea which size to get since I have no idea how the size will change.

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

If thigh room is an issue, remember the 5EPs, SDAs and Ralfs all have a lowish rise, which obviously affects how much room you have in the top block.

Also, Ande Whall does a bootcut now. Cheaper ($200), and imo better, than any of the ones you mentioned.

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Saying Ande jeans are better than 5EP and SDA is a lofty, lofty claim.

And no, neither the LDB or Ralfs have low-ish rise. Both are medium-rise, at best.

9. Bob01

Bob01 Senior member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    Hey All,

I was curious if anyone out there could tell me how the Uniqlo S-001 fits in comparison to the S-002? I have the S-002 (actually wearing them right now) - best everyday wear jeans I've had in a long time, I picked up this pair while visiting Hong Kong last year.

Lately I've been seeing quite a few S-001 being sold on ebay for reasonable prices, before pulling a trigger on one or more pairs (same seller), I just wanted to see if anyone had both types and can comment on the difference in fit between the two.

Thanks in Advance!,

Bob

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ The S-001 is slimmer all around.

If you're in any way familiar with Nudies, the S-002 fits identical to Straight Sven/Average Joe, while the S-001 is more like Slim Jim.

11. blynch

blynch Senior member

If thigh room is an issue, remember the 5EPs, SDAs and Ralfs all have a lowish rise, which obviously affects how much room you have in the top block.

Also, Ande Whall does a bootcut now. Cheaper ($200), and imo better, than any of the ones you mentioned.

I was actually seriously looking at Ande Whall as well, somehow forgot to put it on that list.
    I was thinking the Cougar Boot Cut might fit the bill, would you recommend the sanforized soft indigo or the shrink to fit dark indigo? I was thinking I'd wear a 33 in sanforized or 34 in shrink to fit, does that seem about right?

12. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Yes, although imo Ande's jeans fit a bit slimmer than the measurements suggest. My Cougars haven't stretched much, although those were different denim - still from Cone Mills, but yellow line as opposed to redline selvage.

And check your pm.
    [​IMG]

13. Bob01

Bob01 Senior member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    Could you give me a rough % in difference of the widths/slimness?

Thanks,

Bob

^ The S-001 is slimmer all around.

If you're in any way familiar with Nudies, the S-002 fits identical to Straight Sven/Average Joe, while the S-001 is more like Slim Jim.

14. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

You originally asked if non-distressed jeans were not necessarily raw; have no idea where you're going with distressed vs. washed as it's night and day. My point was that one-wash jeans are still raw and that "one wash" and "dark wash" can be synonymous at times, especially with a few brands on this forum.

Correct, that was my question and it was based on:

I just bought some Marc by Marc Jacobs jeans off a forum member, but he doesn't know if they're raw denim. How do I tell?

Do they look distressed?

I was under the impression that there was a distinct difference between "raw" and "one wash" and "dark wash". Apparently there is not. For example, 501STF are raw, but pre-shrunk 501s are not? Or are they? I think of jeans as coming in more or less four levels of finish.

1. Raw (501STF)
    2. Pre or one wash (dark pre-shrunk 501)
    3. Stone wash or bleach
    4. Distressed (try to look they have been beaten up some)

I think we agree more than it may seem, just a difference in some of the terminology. It's all good. [​IMG]

15. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

whats the best way to get mud out of jeans without washing? i'm almost at three months and am considering a soak.

16. hazE

hazE Active Member

^ dont be afraid of the wash

17. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

whats the best way to get mud out of jeans without washing? i'm almost at three months and am considering a soak.

i've gotten mud and dirt on a lot of my dry denim i just keep on doing what i do everyday. it always eventually falls off i guess from all the walking and bending of my legs.

18. Tarwater

Tarwater Active Member

Does anybody have any experience with the Skull 5507xx cut? I copped a pair of 50-10xx 6x6 (s33) from a friend, and while I'm usually a s32 (6'2" / 175lbs), they felt almost perfect. The thighs were good. The stack was nice. After wearing them for a couple months, the waist was a little loose (but that wasn't really a major problem).

I figure the waist on a s31 would be a great fit, but I'm not so sure about the thigh area. Should I stick with s32 or drop to a s31?

19. givemefive

givemefive Senior member

Does anybody have any experience with the Skull 5507xx cut? I copped a pair of 50-10xx 6x6 (s33) from a friend, and while I'm usually a s32 (6'2" / 175lbs), they felt almost perfect. The thighs were good. The stack was nice. After wearing them for a couple months, the waist was a little loose (but that wasn't really a major problem).

I figure the waist on a s31 would be a great fit, but I'm not so sure about the thigh area. Should I stick with s32 or drop to a s31?

measurements are here http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=203

looks like you should size down 1

20. Sticksdaman

Sticksdaman New Member

I am interested in purchasing some raw denim with a slim to skinny fit. I generally wear a size 32 34 (6' 2" / 160lbs). I love the way levis 511s fit and would like to go possibly a bit slimmer. I was looking to purchase a pair of good society slim leg jeans in the raw finish. I was wondering if any members had any pictures of the fit of these particular jeans. I have also seen on this site that a few pairs have gone up for sale shortly after being purchased. I was wondering if there was a reason for that and whether or not i should take caution in purchasing them [​IMG] . The only two sizes i have been able to find online are 30 and 33. I was leaning toward the 30 as i read the pair of size 29 jeans fit 31 to 32 comfortably, so i figured i would be safe with a size 30. If anyone could provide me with pictures/first hand testimonials/advice/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance.