I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. imanikehead

imanikehead Member

anybody mess with Stussy Deluxe denim?

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

Do nc's shrink at all in the inseam length? I don't want to go about hemming, and then they shrink too short

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Do nc's shrink at all in the inseam length? I don't want to go about hemming, and then they shrink too short
    [​IMG]

4. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Sorry to essentially repost this, but my question didn't really get answered last time.

I'm attaching a photo of myself trying on BRAND NEW size 30 APC New Cures. Sorry for the blurry shot. Anyway, are those flattering? Should I also look into the Petite Standard (didn't like the NS) or anything from Good Society or Naked&Famous?

If I do end up going with the NC, should I size down one more, or just go with the 30? I don't mind a fit slightly looser than the one seen here, but I'd like to avoid anything substantially baggier.

Thanks,
    wmmk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. onion

onion Senior member

The fit looks fine, but then again the photo isn't the best quality. The general rule of thumb with APC denim is this: Size down 1 for NC, 2 for NS, and 3 for Rescues. It's hard to say if you should size down or up one, because you can't see how tight it is on the waist (and again, the photo isn't the best).

If I were to buy another pair of APC, I would size down until I could barely get the top button buttoned. They stretch a ton, so it's a good idea to get the smallest waist possible when you buy them.

Hopefully that helps.

6. Nicholas_JD_11

Nicholas_JD_11 Well-Known Member

How much stretching in the waist and thighs should I expect in pre-washed Nudies? It seems a 33 waist fits perfectly brand new out of the bag, while I can button the 32s, but they are hard to move in, and are very tight on the thighs, butt and crotch. Should I stick with 33s, or count on some stretching and size down 1?

7. whodini

They stretch out a fair bit in the waist, at least an inch and often more. As for the thighs...they will not stretch. With Nudies it's usually better to go with a size that you have a big of a hard time putting on at first so that in time they will stretch out comfortably. What worries me though is that 1) you haven't mentioned which model you have, 2) they're already tight in the thighs, and 3) we don't know what your usual waist size is. So either get a different model or stick to the 33's.

8. Nicholas_JD_11

They stretch out a fair bit in the waist, at least an inch and often more.

As for the thighs...they will not stretch.

With Nudies it's usually better to go with a size that you have a big of a hard time putting on at first so that in time they will stretch out comfortably. What worries me though is that 1) you haven't mentioned which model you have, 2) they're already tight in the thighs, and 3) we don't know what your usual waist size is.

So either get a different model or stick to the 33's.

They are slim jims. I like the 32s from the knee down, but the thighs are really painted on, and it is more the fit in the but/thigh/crotch I am worried about than the actual waist. The 33s fit comfortably up top, but I like that the 32s are a bit tighter at the hem, and the tube leg look is more pronounced. For comfort sake, I think I might have to just stick with the 33s though. My true waist is about 32.5 at the belly button and 33.5 3-4" below the belly button.

9. whodini

The hem can be brought in by a tailor.

Here's how jeans stretch: Waist loosens up so that you can wear the jeans lower on the hips. Usually this means that your crotch isn't pressed up against the jeans as much and you'll feel the thighs loosen up a bit (they're not stretching, rather, they're the jeans aren't sitting as high on your waist as before.)

So you can risk wearing the 32, go for the 33, or find another model that fits your top block a bit better.

10. onion

onion Senior member

They are slim jims. I like the 32s from the knee down, but the thighs are really painted on, and it is more the fit in the but/thigh/crotch I am worried about than the actual waist. The 33s fit comfortably up top, but I like that the 32s are a bit tighter at the hem, and the tube leg look is more pronounced. For comfort sake, I think I might have to just stick with the 33s though. My true waist is about 32.5 at the belly button and 33.5 3-4" below the belly button.

You can always have the leg tapered from the knee down by a tailor if need you need to.

11. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Well-Known Member

Question about true to size. When you people say you should buy a jean that is your true size or sized down one from your true size, are they talking about the tagged measurement of the jean or the actual measurement? I've tried on 32's that actually measure 33 or even 34. I just got some dry heavy average Joe's in a 33, which measure as a 34. A 34 is my actual waist so I thought I was going one down with the 33. I can get the 33's on and although they are really tight at the waist, they are comfortable. I can stick both thumbs down in the waist line. As far as the rest of the jean, I do have a little room in the butt/crotch/thigh. Was wondering if I should have gone with a 32.

12. progressiveminded

progressiveminded Senior member

You can always have the leg tapered from the knee down by a tailor if need you need to.

I've always wondered what's preventing a tailor from tapering the entire leg, including some of the thigh. Anything?

13. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

is there a difference between nudie AJ and straight sven? i think the rise on sven is lower, anything else? can't find too much info since it's discontinued.

14. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

thinking about getting my dad some jeans for Christmas. he's lost a little weight and the jeans i see him wearing are too baggy. he's in his mid 50s. not looking to spend much. i was thinking of levis. should i get 501s?

You may want to list at least a couple other criteria. Does he like the button-fly or as some would say "no button-fly, as it is a PITA (pain in the a..)? Regular fit, I take it? I am guessing not rigid or raw, right? Stuff like that.

15. Nicholas_JD_11

is there a difference between nudie AJ and straight sven? i think the rise on sven is lower, anything else? can't find too much info since it's discontinued.

I think that AJs taper slightly from knee to hem, while the straight sven's are the same measurement at the knee as at the hem. I believe you are also right about the rise being lower on the sven.