1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Christoff

Christoff Active Member

Thanks for the answer!
    Was wondering a bit on the length of the jeans though, I normally tailor my jeans to a 31(everything I find is about a 33-34), with raw would I still do this? or is it better to wear them for awhile before making that move? prolly a stupid question, but I dont know the answer, so thought best id ask!

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

Thanks for the answer! Was wondering a bit on the length of the jeans though, I normally tailor my jeans to a 31(everything I find is about a 33-34), with raw would I still do this? or is it better to wear them for awhile before making that move? prolly a stupid question, but I dont know the answer, so thought best id ask!
    I'd recommend wearing the jeans a few times so that the creases can set before sending them off to the tailor.

3. savejake

savejake Member

Don't waste your time going to APC, buy from Farinelli's and you'll get free shipping.

If you're sticking with APC, you'll want to size down two from your "usual" waist for their New Standard fit. If you're going with another brand, GET MEASUREMENTS FIRST. Most people will typically size down one to account for future stretch but it really depends on the brand.

It wouldn't hurt to try on a pair on first, like anything else, but it's not essential. I'd say a majority of the jeans I own I never tried on before buying and I've only been unhappy once.

Part of the problem is a lack of a 'usual' waist size, as I have 33s that are too big and 34s that i'm breaking. I was planning on getting some tailor-sized dress pants cheaply from a men's warehouse or somesuch local in town, and will carry the waist measurement with me. If I get a brand outside of APC, I'll come to this haven before making a purchase.

Thank you again for your quick help.

4. whodini

whodini Senior member

In that case just measure the waist on a pair of pants that fits you the most comfortably and use that as a guide.

5. Christoff

Christoff Active Member

I'd recommend wearing the jeans a few times so that the creases can set before sending them off to the tailor.

so wear them with "stacks" for the first bit? Ill see how everything goes! I really like the 1980s from Kicking Mule Workshop, so I guess ill look into picking a pair up! thanks for the help!

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

so wear them with "stacks" for the first bit? Ill see how everything goes! I really like the 1980s from Kicking Mule Workshop, so I guess ill look into picking a pair up! thanks for the help!
    Exactly! The problem with hemming them out the gate is that they could wind up shorter than you wanted as the folds behind the knees can take a bit off the inseam. The KMW 1980 is a great jean. Be sure to patronize Farinelli's for them and you'll get them at a discount.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Can anyone tell me about the "jake" cut of dior's? I found a pair of MII Dior's 19cm with a "Jake" cut... not quite sure what it's all about.
    Thanks

8. Exalted_One

Exalted_One Well-Known Member

i don't think creases will show just from sitting in a package what maybe 2-3 days it'll be ok. in fact i've lost whiskers and combs just from letting my jeans hang for a few days.

cool thanks

9. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Anyone know wear I can buy a nice pair of Red Slim fit Jeans?

10. IGF-1

IGF-1 Senior member

looking for a jean similar to the levis 514 cut, relatively unadorned with better denim/construction and fading potential

those that have piqued my interest:

pure blue japan 005
    eternal 811
    acne mic
    somet 003
    warehouse 660
    nom de guerre classic
    crate (not sure which cut)

11. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

So I've been wearing some raw denim for about a year (3 times a week or more) without a wash. Will they look substantially different after I wash them for the first time?

12. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

That depends of many things. Why don't you post a picture of them?

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

looking for a jean similar to the levis 514 cut, relatively unadorned with better denim/construction and fading potential

those that have piqued my interest:

pure blue japan 005
    eternal 811
    acne mic
    somet 003
    warehouse 660
    nom de guerre classic
    crate (not sure which cut)

Those are all pretty different from the 514, to be honest, for a variety of reasons. If you're looking at Crate the Route would probably be the closest model.
    So I've been wearing some raw denim for about a year (3 times a week or more) without a wash. Will they look substantially different after I wash them for the first time?
    Sure. Take a look at the "Post pics of your denim" thread.

14. IGF-1

IGF-1 Senior member

Those are all pretty different from the 514, to be honest, for a variety of reasons. If you're looking at Crate the Route would probably be the closest model.

thanks

other than the routes, what should i be looking at?

15. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Very simple question: I recently bought a pair of Acne "generic boy" jeans in "one-wash." The inside label says to expect "1 size of shrinkage in 30 degrees." Now, I was under the impression that one-wash jeans really wouldn't shrink nor stretch very much (and this is what I was told at the store). What should I expect in terms of stretching when worn and shrinkage when first washed? I also stretched out the bottom of the legs with some books, will this shrink back when washed? Thanks.

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

thanks

other than the routes, what should i be looking at?

Maybe whacked or someone else would care to chime in but it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, what kind of denim you're interested in, etc. The measurements of those jeans you listed are all over the place with varying degrees of slimness, rise height, etc.

The good news is this question's been asked before so you might want to try a search on this thread or over on the 514 thread.
    Very simple question: I recently bought a pair of Acne "generic boy" jeans in "one-wash." The inside label says to expect "1 size of shrinkage in 30 degrees." Now, I was under the impression that one-wash jeans really wouldn't shrink nor stretch very much (and this is what I was told at the store). What should I expect in terms of stretching when worn and shrinkage when first washed? I also stretched out the bottom of the legs with some books, will this shrink back when washed? Thanks.
    Stretching=1"-2", shrinkage= ~1". Yes, the legs will shrink back but you can stretch them back out while damp.

17. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

what other styles fit like apc new standards?

i believe jean shop rockers do as well

18. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

First time askign here, I figure I should ask here instead of making a new thread.

I had some 514's that fit me just right on the waist, but it has since lost it's shape and now the waist is real loose and it is just annoying. I'm just curious if there is a way to return it to it's original shape without having to wash it in hot water?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

19. whacked

whacked Senior member

First time askign here, I figure I should ask here instead of making a new thread.

I had some 514's that fit me just right on the waist, but it has since lost it's shape and now the waist is real loose and it is just annoying. I'm just curious if there is a way to return it to it's original shape without having to wash it in hot water?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Any shrinkage achieved through a hot wash would go away as soon as you start wearing the jeans again. Having the waist taken in by a tailor is your best bet, really.

Levis' denim, particularly the non-LVC range, stretches like a mutha. If that's too much of an annoyance, help yourself and invest on better jeans.

20. wcl

wcl Senior member

Picked up some of the RRL straight usa selvedge which are going to need a shrink, but I am worried they will come up short on me after. Any idea how much they will draw up in the length? Is it the standard 3" or so? I could stand to lose probably 2" but that is about it. Would a cold soak minimize the loss? Thanks!

Cole