• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Nudie Big Bengts? Do they stretch at the thighs at all? Thanks in advance.

Cholly_Boy

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Wanted to get my first real pair of raw jeans. There are so many options/fits/styles that I'm just sort of lost to be honest lol. And I don't really understand how getting a good fade and such works. Same with the shrinking of the jean.

Been looking at APCs and Nudies. Don't really want to go over the $200 mark (I can go $20-30 over if it's necessary). I want a loose fitting jean, but not baggy. Just not too tight.

Was looking at these:

http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...PARTMENT_ID=38

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...a9b54ce350374e

Was wondering what the fit on these two is like.

Should I just go and buy a pair of one of these and not be afraid of screwing it up lol? Thanks.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Anyone familiar with the Nudie Big Bengts? Do they stretch at the thighs at all? Thanks in advance.
BB's are generally considered "loose" so it'd be hard to stretch out the thighs, let alone thighs don't stretch much (if at all) on jeans to begin with.
Originally Posted by Cholly_Boy
Hey guys...

Wanted to get my first real pair of raw jeans. There are so many options/fits/styles that I'm just sort of lost to be honest lol. And I don't really understand how getting a good fade and such works. Same with the shrinking of the jean.

Been looking at APCs and Nudies. Don't really want to go over the $200 mark (I can go $20-30 over if it's necessary). I want a loose fitting jean, but not baggy. Just not too tight.

Was looking at these:

http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...PARTMENT_ID=38

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...a9b54ce350374e

Was wondering what the fit on these two is like.

Should I just go and buy a pair of one of these and not be afraid of screwing it up lol? Thanks.

Hi.

Read a bit of this thread and soon you'll understand a lot of the process.

Both jeans you linked are fairly "loose" and you can pretty much tell from the pics how they'll fit.

There's nothing really to screw up so you should be fine with one pair.

artofishol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

8" hem based on what waist size? Also, the hem size has nothing to do with how the rest of the jean will fit. Try looking at the Levis 514 thread as I'm sure others have submitted higher end alternatives, assuming of course that it's what you're asking for.

my waist size (hold on measuring with tape measure) is...32. i don't have any brand name or known name jeans to compare to but I do like the look of the levis 514's but found out the leg opening is 17" (8.5). want to go a tad smaller for a better fit over my shoes.

-jack

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you measure out your AJ's you can just compare them to the measurements given for the Spurrs.

I highly doubt you'll see any pics anywhere for spurrs being worn in general, let alone worn in. Way too niche.

you're right about that. i can't find a single picture other than those on mauro's blog. i did find a quote where spurr calls them a "modern day luxe version of 501" or something to that effect.

i may just give them a shot and see. thanks for the tip.

KenN

Reaction score
Should I buy these true to size?

KMW 1950 Raw
RB11

I want these to fit a little bit more lax than APC NS.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being relatively new to good denim, and taking advantage of killer sales, I find myself with three pairs of dry jeans and two pairs of one-wash jeans, all of which need some serious breaking in and fading. I imagine that, collectively, it could take me a year or two to get some decent fades. So, I'm looking for a little advice. Should I:

1. Wear a couple pairs constantly until fades develop, then start wearing the other dry unworn pairs, or
2. Wear all pairs as much as possible and buy a new pair or two in a year or two, or
3. Just do whatever. They are just jeans.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
Any japanese brands that do a really good grey jean?
There have been a few threads this past week about grey jeans. Take a gander at them.
Originally Posted by zissou
Being relatively new to good denim, and taking advantage of killer sales, I find myself with three pairs of dry jeans and two pairs of one-wash jeans, all of which need some serious breaking in and fading. I imagine that, collectively, it could take me a year or two to get some decent fades. So, I'm looking for a little advice. Should I:

1. Wear a couple pairs constantly until fades develop, then start wearing the other dry unworn pairs, or
2. Wear all pairs as much as possible and buy a new pair or two in a year or two, or
3. Just do whatever. They are just jeans.

Well, you know me; I'd be the first to say option 3.

Option 1 sounds like the best call. Everyone has their own way of doing things but I personally find a single pair break in for six months or more before rolling out a fresh pair while occasionally throwing in an a different pair every now and then. I've actually been doing this more recently.

For a few months I was regularly rotating between three jeans so that I could wear different kinds of silhouettes so if your jeans aren't all going to be the same cut then this might be a good option for you.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by artofishol
my waist size (hold on measuring with tape measure) is...32. i don't have any brand name or known name jeans to compare to but I do like the look of the levis 514's but found out the leg opening is 17" (8.5). want to go a tad smaller for a better fit over my shoes. -jack
Yes, I got your PM which was an exact copy/paste of what you asked in here. I didn't respond to it because frankly I don't have the time to go on the Farinelli's thread , contextclothing.com , shopdetour.com , selfedge.com , or any other affiliates linked above and investigate every single pair of jeans listed with measurements just to come up with a list for you. I have no problem making suggestions. I do have a problem with doing massive research for people that is literally only a few clicks away for them. Also, if you're looking for an 8" hem when your 514s are 8.5", why not take your jeans to a tailor and have the hem brought in a half inch instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by finding a pair of jeans that is an exact copy of a 514 with a .5" smaller hem?

artofishol

Reaction score
Yes, I got your PM which was an exact copy/paste of what you asked in here. I didn't respond to it because frankly I don't have the time to go on the Farinelli's thread , contextclothing.com , shopdetour.com , selfedge.com , or any other affiliates linked above and investigate every single pair of jeans listed with measurements just to come up with a list for you.

I have no problem making suggestions. I do have a problem with doing massive research for people that is literally only a few clicks away for them.

Also, if you're looking for an 8" hem when your 514s are 8.5", why not take your jeans to a tailor and have the hem brought in a half inch instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by finding a pair of jeans that is an exact copy of a 514 with a .5" smaller hem?

good one

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Option 1 sounds like the best call. Everyone has their own way of doing things but I personally find a single pair break in for six months or more before rolling out a fresh pair while occasionally throwing in an a different pair every now and then. I've actually been doing this more recently.

For a few months I was regularly rotating between three jeans so that I could wear different kinds of silhouettes so if your jeans aren't all going to be the same cut then this might be a good option for you.

Yeah, I think I will stick mostly with option 1. I'm thinking I'll soak them all and break them in a little so they're at least comfortable to wear if I want. Then, I'll concentrate on a couple pairs for fades. They are all slim fit, some a little slimmer than others, and some indigo, some black. This should keep me busy for a while.

bigbilly

Reaction score
i would definitely say wear the dry/raw ones as much as possible before your first wash. at least a year! i know it sounds crazy (and if they start to smell just febreeze) but youll be glad in the end with your custom fade!

SocietyRed

Reaction score
I'm trying to get back in the denim game after a long summer of beach clothes and fattness. I have a pair of Somet slim fits and some skulls and a pair of NStandards but have been wearing normal Levis 514. Is ther a raw preferably selvedge jean out there that is cut like a 514? There has to be something besides APC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads