1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rioni

rioni Senior member

2. changed

changed Senior member

The term you're looking for is the 'selvage line'. I'm pretty sure on the black NS there is no selvage line, though it is in fact selvage denim.

okay, thanks for the vocab lesson too [​IMG]

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

I wear my jeans below my ass. How can I look less like a douche?

I'm 5'10, 180 pounds (With a small gut). Tomorrow I'm going buy a pair of jeans. How can I tell if it fits properly? I am going to go to a tailor to ask his opinion first, but I'd also like to know what you guys think.

What kind of cut and fit would you recommend?

Why don't you look at the WAYWN thread and figure out which jean fits you like the most?

4. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

How do you size the Nudie Jeans Slim Jim? I'm a size 29 APC NS (I sized down 2) and they have stretched to a comfortable 32.

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

I picked up a pair of Crate Routes in 30x31 on the B&S that I like alot and seem to fit well. I'm thinking of getting another pair of raw slim selvedge to add to the denim rotation. Considering either the APC NS in a 27 or 28 or the 5EP SDZ in a 29? Any thoughts on these and what are the differences?

Thanks.

If you already have a pair of Routes I don't see the point in going for the APC NS. 5EP is an entirely different world of denim but the SDZ is not as slim as the Routes. Can you give us a price range?
    How do you size the Nudie Jeans Slim Jim? I'm a size 29 APC NS (I sized down 2) and they have stretched to a comfortable 32.
    Usually you want to size down one on the SJ's so if your waist is usually a 32 then 31 would be good; if you're looking to stretch these out the way you did the NS (which I don't recommend), then get the 30. I'd still say 31.

6. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

If you already have a pair of Routes I don't see the point in going for the APC NS. 5EP is an entirely different world of denim but the SDZ is not as slim as the Routes. Can you give us a price range?
    I guess my budget is out of whack as I picked up the Routes here for only $50. I was originally thinking about the Journals but didn't hear back from Secret Service so jumped on the Routes. Want something slim but heavier denim and will watch the B&S to see if I can catch a deal.

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

The Journals aren't exactly slim, just low-rise. At $50, you're not going to find much besides Gap.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

9. Master-Classter

Whodini,
    I noticed you're the person who started/maintains this thread. Just wanted to say thanks for your service.

+1 Thanks Who

So today I strolled down to Barneys and tried on my first pair of raw denim... Nudies SJ 29. They fit pretty decent surprisingly didn't feel nearly as rough/stiff as I imagined they would.

Some comments:

1) I loved the fit in the legs. Up top it felt like sizing to a 28 or even 27 might have worked better (a little slack up there, could use lower rise, etc). FWIW, I'm 5'5" 130 lbs, low body fat/musclar, about 29" waist. Nothing about these jeans was really tight, didn't feel tension on any body parts LOL.
    2) Not a fan of the low back pockets, IMO they make a short guy look shorter. Up higher please
    3) I think it was 32" inseam? This was about perfect for a little bit of stacking, thought it looked killer. Any more seems like it would be weird.
    4) Again on the legs, these were perfect. Don't want anything slimmer.

So I want to get my first pair of raw selvage jeans, no washing for 6 mos, the whole thing. These clearly are not them. Any suggestions? Could not find APC NS in town in my size (should I seek a 27 or 28?), but might hike up to LA soon. Would rather keep it under $200 until I've left noobie-land.

Hey, you and I are almost exactly the same fit and size (5'5, 130, 29 waist) - here's my thoughts:
    1. Fit sounds right, they're meant to be slim but with a 2% stretch they're really comfortable. they might stretch out a bit so they'll get a tad more baggy. I got mine (dry blacks) at around $175 and I believe they can be found from affiliates for about $160 or so.
    2. Yeah, nudie has the low back pocket and quite high back rise. it's not really that bad, they look good still. For higher smaller pockets check out the APCs, which brings me to:

My recommendations and other jeans that have/not worked for me
    APC NC in 28 - damn tight, especially around the knees. in retrospect I'd have gotten the NS's.
    KMW's 1950's? are also nice
    for decent raw denim and a low price point, I highly recommend naked & famous
    and also the nudie slim jim, there's one that's raw made in Japan

1) The "slack "is part of the fit. They're meant to fit a little loose in the top block. The rise is "high" because it's meant to be sagged, aka, worn as an anti-fit.
    2) Again, that's part of the anti-fit look. You do know there are other models that Nudie makes, right?

About the slack fit... I don't actually sag mine at all, I keep them way up there. It's just a preference to wearing them. I wouldn't say they're "meant" to be worn any particular way.

Keep in mind they have a bit of stretch in the material already but they're probably not going to fully stretch out like raws. I sized down 1 and they fit comfortably right away, but after a little wear they're now comfy. If I'd sized down two they'd still be very slim/tight.

10. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

The Journals aren't exactly slim, just low-rise. At $50, you're not going to find much besides Gap.
    Sorry, my budget isn't $50. How about in the $200 range? Slim with low/medium rise? Thanks for all the help.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

About the slack fit... I don't actually sag mine at all, I keep them way up there. It's just a preference to wearing them. I wouldn't say they're "meant" to be worn any particular way.
    You can wear them however you'd like but the pockets and yoke are dropped for a reason: to give the effect of sagged jeans. The longish rise lets you exaggerate this effect.

Keep in mind they have a bit of stretch in the material already but they're probably not going to fully stretch out like raws. I sized down 1 and they fit comfortably right away, but after a little wear they're now comfy. If I'd sized down two they'd still be very slim/tight.
    SJ's don't have stretch in the material since they're not an elastane-blend like Thin Finns. They will, however, stretch out like any other raw.

Sorry, my budget isn't $50. How about in the $200 range? Slim with low/medium rise? Thanks for all the help.
    $200 is the mythical good/better range. Under $200 and you'll get a good jean (Crate, Nudie, Naked & Famous), over $200 (up to $275 let's say) and you get great jeans (KMW, Jean Shop, RRL, 5EP, and the Japan lines). Just figure out a specific price.

12. Master-Classter

SJ's don't have stretch in the material since they're not an elastane-blend like Thin Finns. They will, however, stretch out like any other raw.

Maybe we're both right... I've got a pair of SJ's Dry Black and I'm 99% sure there's a 2% stretch/elastizine in them... so they haven't really stretched out that much. Maybe it's only with the dry black's?

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Maybe we're both right... I've got a pair of SJ's Dry Black and I'm 99% sure there's a 2% stretch/elastizine in them... so they haven't really stretched out that much. Maybe it's only with the dry black's?
    You're referring to the Dry Black STRETCH. Well, no shit they'd have elastane in the blend. All the other SJ's are 100% cotton (including the Dry Black Coated) whereas the Thin Finn model is designed skinny and needs to have stretch.

14. TheFedora

TheFedora Senior member

15. Snaggles

Snaggles Active Member

What's the quality like for Opening Ceremony jeans?

16. gabby11303

gabby11303 Senior member

how do you remove arcs from jeans?

17. Chinook

Chinook Senior member

You're referring to the Dry Black STRETCH. Well, no shit they'd have elastane in the blend. All the other SJ's are 100% cotton (including the Dry Black Coated) whereas the Thin Finn model is designed skinny and needs to have stretch.

oh no quoting whodini.

My SJGC are 98% 2% Lycra.

18. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

how do you remove arcs from jeans?

Grab yourself one of these from the local sewing store and go at it for about 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

oh no quoting whodini. My SJGC are 98% 2% Lycra.
    I'm starting to think it depends on the model/season. The Coateds are either 100% cotton or the blend (as seen on Context vs. others). Still, my point was that the standard Slim Jim was raw and not a stretch blend. The basic design/fit/fabric/concept. is different from the Thin Finn which is supposed to be stretchy.

20. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

Do the black APC New Standards have the same stretch/shrink characteristics as the raw indigo New Standards? That is, would I take the same size in both and get the same waist stretchage?