1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KhouriC

KhouriC Senior Member

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Yes, although now they're called "Regular Alfs."

3. woodywoodson

woodywoodson Well-Known Member

OK, so I tried a pair of one-wash jeans (Iron Heart 634S). They didn't have my normal size (32) in stock, so I tried a pair of 33s and I thought it fit pretty good, though kind of a traditional straight-leg fit instead of slim-fit in the legs. I could button the top button without a lot of trouble, though it is about as tight as I would consider tolerable in the waist/seat/crotch area.

From doing some reading, it sounds like the jeans should stretch about 1.5" in the waist. That will probably be too loose right? Would I better served to see if I can get a 32 and give them time to stretch for a better overall fit in the end?

Thanks

4. DBoon

DBoon Senior Member

they CAN stretch 1.5'' in the waist. You'll be fine.

5. Akashic

Akashic Active Member

I'm thinking of buying my first pair of raw denim jeans and was wondering if you could link me to a post that describes the best method for getting the best fades (when to soak, wash, etc...).

Was also interested in a page that compares the different types of raw jeans available and where I could buy them. Thanks

6. whodini

I'm thinking of buying my first pair of raw denim jeans and was wondering if you could link me to a post that describes the best method for getting the best fades (when to soak, wash, etc...). Was also interested in a page that compares the different types of raw jeans available and where I could buy them. Thanks
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=68358 For your second question I'd just recommend looking around at the affiliate links above to see what they offer. Farinelli's thread has quite a few jeans listed and photographed, as do the Detour, Context, Brigade, and Dresscodes websites.

7. Akashic

Akashic Active Member

Thanks whodini. I had a look around at the post you linked to and found it VERY informative. When listing the brands though I noticed it didn't mention Nudies at any point so I was wondering if it's considered a lower quality/harder to fade brand. I'm only asking because Nudies would be the only brand of jeans I would be able to try on before buying.

8. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Distinguished Member

in general, they're definitely not harder to fade

9. whodini

I wouldn't say Nudie is "low quality" but more "middle of the road." The focus is more on the fit but they do use some pretty great coated/treated/selvage denim. Depending on the model they seem to fade like anything else and aren't as stubborn as Iron Hearts for example.

If you're looking into Nudie there are quite a few affiliates that carry them. If there's an exact model or size you're looking for then you might be best off contacting Farinelli's since Mauro knows the Nudie people pretty well and offers a discount on top of free domestic shipping.

10. pridecake

pridecake Senior Member

Thanks whodini. I had a look around at the post you linked to and found it VERY informative. When listing the brands though I noticed it didn't mention Nudies at any point so I was wondering if it's considered a lower quality/harder to fade brand. I'm only asking because Nudies would be the only brand of jeans I would be able to try on before buying.

Nudies aren't that bad. The quality isn't too special, but they definitely do fade and come in a wide variety of cuts so you can hopefully find one that fits you especially well. APC's are a good starting point to try as well, selvage denim at a very reasonable price. You can search through the marketplaces at SF and SuFu and find plenty of good deals of well.

11. heyheyhey

heyheyhey Senior Member

I thought I'd post this as an update/help to anybody else in my position (there seem to be a lot of people spilling greasy/buttery food on their jeans.)

I ended up not washing them or spot washing the area; I just let them air out for a week. This dried up the grease, took away the smell and made the stain essentially invisible. Now you'd have to be physically in my crotch to see it.

My 2 cents.

12. ZoSo

ZoSo New Member

Is it acceptable to wear boot cut jeans with my Sperry Top-Siders?

13. alan

alan Distinguished Member

If i wear a 32 in levis 514 what size should i be getting for nudie jeans?

(its prob been said 1000 times but its easier to ask)

14. pridecake

pridecake Senior Member

Depends on the nudies model, but most generally run true to size. Maybe down 1.

15. givemefive

givemefive Senior Member

If i wear a 32 in levis 514 what size should i be getting for nudie jeans?

(its prob been said 1000 times but its easier to ask)

I'd try a 31.