I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I like rather thick, stiff denim that has a relaxed fit. Who makes quality denim that fits this bill? Ideally I'd like something I can find in a higher end department store (because I wanted it by Friday), but I know that's usually not the case...
    Kind of sounds like you want something reproish. What general area do you live in so we can guage what you mean by a "higher end department store."

2. suited

suited Senior member

Kind of sounds like you want something reproish. What general area do you live in so we can guage what you mean by a "higher end department store."

Columbus, so I'm limited to Saks/Nordstrom, which has a pretty terrible selection of denim [​IMG]

3. whodini

Think you got your answer...

4. suited

suited Senior member

Think you got your answer...

OK, what about online retailers that fit that description?

5. whathup

whathup Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Uniqlo S-001 Slim Fit jeans that fit really well. They're not skinny, but slim. What APC cut is closer to this, the New Standard or the New Cure? I never though about getting a pair of the New Cure because it wears like a skinny jean but if the leg opening for a 28 is 7" then it is still bigger than the 6.5" opening on these Uniqlos.

edit: I may be overthinking this as I tend to do with pricey purchases. The New Standards and the Slim Fits probably fit almost identically. Just if someone could give me their opinion it would be helpful.

6. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i agree with the 001s and the NS's fitting similarly.

7. whodini

OK, what about online retailers that fit that description?
    Self Edge. "Relaxed, stiff" really sounds like you need a more traditional jean. Iron Heart is an example but hell, just take a look at their inventory and you'll see something. Otherwise, you can look around Farinelli's blog for 5ep and Spurr which both offer more traditional cuts although they wouldn't be as stiff as the Japanese brands SE carries.

8. whathup

whathup Well-Known Member

i agree with the 001s and the NS's fitting similarly.

Thanks!

9. Asch

Asch Senior member

Iron Heart is an example
    Iron Heart's cuts do tend to be relatively relaxed, if sized properly, but their most popular denim is actually extremely soft, so it may not fit the poster's "stiff" requirement.

10. whodini

Hmm, must be thinking of something else, then.

11. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

When I first joined the forum a year and a half or so (maybe more) I remember hearing about a fairly decent B&M shop in KC and one also in Austin. Are either of these two stores still in operation? Also, are they gonna be anything worth stopping by in person.

They were smaller stores, and I remember glancing through their sites forever ago when I still was semi- interested in nudies.

I am wanting to try on some new cures, and whatever else I might be able to find.

If these stores are no longer around, any suggestions as to B&M locales in the central time zone that might have some of the items I see over in WAYWT.

12. rocks

rocks Senior member

Ok ladies I new corduroy pants and as such would like to know where on-line I can buy April77 joey dischords? Thanks!

Ps. If there's any other brand in a similar slim cut that makes slim cords let me know.....no APC ok, I bought a new pair in NS 29 a couple months ago, it was so huge I had to get it tailored heavily and after getting it back I just gave them away. I need low rise cords ie 8 inch rise.

13. DocHunter

DocHunter Senior member

Looking for a fit pic and/or a rise measurement for the Earnest Sewn Hutch. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

14. shade449

shade449 Well-Known Member

Hmm, must be thinking of something else, then.

IH's are typically very heavy (21 oz) but are very pliable for their weight because of either the way they are weaved or the type of cotton that is used (can't remember which).

I'd still recommend them though; if you (suited) really want them to be stiff, starching is always an option. Alternatively some thing like Suger Cane would be good too. But yeah, basically listen to who's advice, repro's are what you're looking for.

15. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member