I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ In size 30 the LDB would be have leg opening slightly above 16", 5EPxSF significantly less, KMW 1980 a little less.

Not that it's a bad thing, just saying. You need to do more research. [​IMG]

2. SilentEdge

SilentEdge Active Member

It usually helps to know the actual size and not the tagged size (Levi's) when comparing jeans but ime you should be fine with the 32s. If you're super nervous then what's stopping you from going RRDS?

Vanity [​IMG] I like tighter jeans rather than looser without them being skin tight.

I'm going to lose like maybe 5 pounds if that, it's more going to be getting my body back from a little fatty to cut again. I doubt my waist size will change more than a half inch and my thighs will not change whatsoever.

I'm not super nervous, I just wanted to get some affirmation before I jump into getting my first pair of decent jeans. Looks like I know what I'll be ordering tomorrow morning [​IMG]

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Something worth saying about the S5000VX that I might as well say here: it works less well in larger sizes than in smaller sizes, I think. It's not a slim fit for anyone, but pictures on sufu worn by 30" waist dudes look classic, while in 35" it looks close to Relaxed Fit. I still like them, but of my three fancy denim purchases (APC NS, S5000VX, SEXFH05) it's the one I'm least satisfied with. I'd get them hemmed and tapered if I trusted someplace around here to do it.

(Related gripe: at 35" or 36" waist, tons of jeans droop down over Chucks and drag on the ground that do not do so at smaller sizes. And most people here and on sufu are tiny, so you get a mistaken idea of how things will fit by looking at pictures of them.)

That's a good point

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

5EPxSF (no one really gave me this suggestion, but on denimbar..it describes it as the perfect jean)
    You might have a wee bit of trouble finding this jean as no one carries them anymore. Also, that technically isn't the perfect jean; that's v.2.0 (my wallet got lighter saying/thinking about it. HURRY UP, MAURO).
    Vanity [​IMG] I like tighter jeans rather than looser without them being skin tight.

I'm going to lose like maybe 5 pounds if that, it's more going to be getting my body back from a little fatty to cut again. I doubt my waist size will change more than a half inch and my thighs will not change whatsoever.

I'm not super nervous, I just wanted to get some affirmation before I jump into getting my first pair of decent jeans. Looks like I know what I'll be ordering tomorrow morning [​IMG]

Good luck with it, then. Let us know how it goes.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Hmm. I thought the S710 cut, at least, would be a slimmer, modern-er cut. So I wouldn't be going for the repro look as much as I would be aiming for a standard slim fit.

So with S5000's nay'd, it's still KMW 1980 vs S710XX I guess. Only qualm I have about the 1980s is the dropped large back pocket (not really a problem I guess). With the Sammies it's more an issue of unintentionally sizing wrong, but I think I can choose between 32/33 correctly as long as I get to visit BiG to try them on. Talk about SuFu-favored brands aside, do you think I'd go wrong with either, would the taper on the S710s (even hemmed) overwhelm my 5' 7" frame, etc?

I hate myself for jumping around like this, but purchases like these deserve lots of thought I guess?

I'd go for the KMW 1980's. They look good on anybody, and I don't really think the back pockets are dropped much. The rockers have dropped pockets, but not the 1980.

6. SilentEdge

SilentEdge Active Member

Good luck with it, then. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. Thanks for the help!

7. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

8. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

is machine drying jeans off limits? i have a pair of dry jeans that i would like to shrink a back a bit.

9. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

is machine drying jeans off limits? i have a pair of dry jeans that i would like to shrink a back a bit.

I'd rather soak them than machine dry.

10. shade449

shade449 Well-Known Member

It's not off-limits but if you just want them to shrink a bit, I'd try hot soaking them first.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i guess most would soak their jeans in the tub using bathroom water but what if the water that comes from your faucets is
    HARD?

how does this affect anyone's soak and thereafter the texture of the jeans?

12. whodini

i guess most would soak their jeans in the tub using bathroom water but what if the water that comes from your faucets is
    HARD?

how does this affect anyone's soak and thereafter the texture of the jeans?

Hmm.... HARD water? I'm not sure how the pH/mineral properities would affect, aversely or otherwise, the indigo concentration of denim. If it's DARK water that's coming out of your faucets then you should probably ask these guys: [​IMG]

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

not the indigo concentration, but how the minerals can affect the cotton /shrinking, rigidness..

you know if you wash a load of laundry in hard water, it comes out stiff.

14. whodini

[​IMG]

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!