I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

I recently bought a pair of dry grey even stevens and was wondering if I should expect any significant fading to occur with heavy wear like I would with normal indigo dry denim. I talked to some people at denim bar and the impression I got from them was that since they are so light already, it probably wouldn't fade much. So my question is whether any other owners of dry grey jeans have seen much in the way of whiskering or honey combs etc.

2. TNX13

TNX13 Member

Hi, hello; I'm only fairly educated in denim and have a few questions regarding denim brands. Which brands are actually selling quality and not just the name?

Brands familiar to the general public that I know of are: Sevens (girls pay for the non saggy ass), Rock and Republic (i think these only look nice on taller girls and guys, i'm only 5'5''), True Religion (a bit obvious its only the name, the back pocket is hideous), diesel (overpriced anyone? only the most expensive ones use japanese denim, and they're not even selvaged), g-star, Guess Premiums & regular, Evisu (i find they're a bit expensive at 300-500 a pair and the back pocket is ugly imo) etc.

I'm interesting in stocking up my closet with: mainly Studio D'artisan (looks nice, basic and classicaly imo), non greenish fading Nudie's without the back pocket stitching, 45rpm, samurai, sugarcane, acne, apc, etc.

I generally purchase Buffalo and Parasuco as they're extremely nice in wash (not tacky, and certain cuts fit me amazingly) and your actually paying for quality (they're durable compared to the levi's i've bought for 70 bucks, and i wear them alot); they're mainly available in montreal at around 80-120 sometimes more. they're not premium but you pay for what's there instead of the name (best of all, CANADIAN DESIGNERS :p).

Please give me your opinions on which brands are worth the money and that ur not paying for brand awareness or the fact the celebs wear them and correct me on any information I might have wrong. Thanks guys!

3. shade449

shade449 Well-Known Member

I'm interesting in stocking up my closet with: mainly Studio D'artisan (looks nice, basic and classicaly imo), non greenish fading Nudie's without the back pocket stitching, 45rpm, samurai, sugarcane, acne, apc, etc.

Why Nudies and APC? They're decent but compared to these other brands you mentioned, I find their quality to be extremely lacking. Those are more nice, lower-end options for people who don't want to fork over the cash for some sams or SC. I'd say the same is true for Acne but some people on here swear by its fit so meh. Its denim isn't up to par though.

Another brand that definitely has the quality is Iron Heart. These jeans are pretty much indestructible. I've also heard good things about Warehouse but I don't have any experience with them.

Really though, you already seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want. All the jeans you mentioned are good; you certaintly won't need more jeans anytime soon.

4. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

This really needs to be tattooed at the top of every newbie jean thread: it's cheaper to buy one solid pair of jeans than waste your time with several cheaper pairs.

OK. So now I've changed my mind and decided not to go for any Crates, Uniqlo, Acne, APC or Nudies and will up my budget to about $250. I hope never to have to buy another pair of raw selvage again.

I'm looking at Samurais or Ironhearts but am disturbed by the fact that none of them offers low rise jeans with plain back pockets? Am I missing some other models they may have?

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

OK. So now I've changed my mind and decided not to go for any Crates, Uniqlo, Acne, APC or Nudies and will up my budget to about $250. I hope never to have to buy another pair of raw selvage again.

I'm looking at Samurais or Ironhearts but am disturbed by the fact that none of them offers low rise jeans with plain back pockets? Am I missing some other models they may have?

You can take a look on self edge as I'm sure you're bound to find what you're looking for. The problem with Sami and IH is that they're known for being repro cut brands but you can find similar quality denim with other Japanese companies. If you don't find anything on self edge, try Blue in Green (Pure Blue Japan 005 comes to mind). If I could give you even more advice, if I were you I'd be focused on the cut/measurements/details/etc. that I've got set in my head and then be concerned with the brand. Also, for the record, while Crate is priced around $150 I wouldn't discount it from pricier brands as it's somewhat of a bargain (and moreso since you can get them at 25% through Secret Service). They offer jeans made of deadstock Cone selvage from around the 70s that would otherwise be impossible to get elsewhere, the details are great (take a look at the denim pics thread for some photos I took recently of my Journal pair), etc. The denim might not have the dye complexities of 5EP or IH but there are quite a few people here who prefer the straight-forward blues found with LVC for example. Personally, I've come to really enjoy Crate denim not only as tribute to America's denim heritage but also from a style perspective in that I've noticed I can coordinate different colors in my fits more easily with "straight-forward" blues than I could with the red/green/turquoise of 5EP/RRL. Not to mention that "low-rise with plain back pockets" is the definition of a majority of Crate's models.

6. aerether

aerether Senior member

Oh, GODDAMNIT.

Looked at Samurais. Now seriously considering them.

Wearing a size 31 APC NS, too loose.

True waist 32.5ish. 5'7", 162lb.

KMW 1980 (sz32), Samurai S710XX (sz33), or the Samurai S5000VX (sz31)? Again, looking for a straight, slimish fit. SF discount on the KMWs (through Mauro), retail on the Samurais (would buy from BiG, which I can conveniently hit up when I'm out for Thanksgiving break)...

Input please! I'd really like to just purchase something and get it over with lol.

7. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I'd go KMW because I wasn't too happy with my Samurai purchase.

8. stevenvg

stevenvg Senior member

i've just bought my first pair of raw denim and read datasupa's "Guide On How To Break In Raw And Nonraw Jawns". it's mentioned there that one has to hot soak the jeans for a few hours in the bathtub, preferably while one is wearing them. can this be more specific? how hot is hot enough to shrink the jeans? how long exactly is a few hours? 5 hours and 2 hours, or 40 deg Celsius and 60 deg Celsius, is gonna differ considerably when i'm actually wearing them jeans while soaking.

9. whodini

i've just bought my first pair of raw denim and read datasupa's "Guide On How To Break In Raw And Nonraw Jawns". it's mentioned there that one has to hot soak the jeans for a few hours in the bathtub, preferably while one is wearing them. can this be more specific? how hot is hot enough to shrink the jeans? how long exactly is a few hours? 5 hours and 2 hours, or 40 deg Celsius and 60 deg Celsius, is gonna differ considerably when i'm actually wearing them jeans while soaking.
    The hot soak is only for raw non-sanforized/washed jeans. If you tell us which pair you bought we can help you figure out if you even need to soak them to begin with. I don't think hours are even necessary to soak the jeans. Twenty or thirty minutes in a tub of warm/hot water to your taste is about all you really need.

10. aerether

aerether Senior member

I'd go KMW because I wasn't too happy with my Samurai purchase.

What model did you buy? Why were you dissatisfied? Unsuitable build, sizing troubles, shrinkage problems, etc...?

Still wondering.

11. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

S5000BK in my normal size. Just wasn't a good fit, the waist was fine but the upper thigh was looser than I'm used to as was the lower leg. I had them tapered and it still doesn't quite do it for me. Would have been better off with the 710BK, but it wasn't out yet.

Probably just not a match for my aesthetic...

12. stevenvg

stevenvg Senior member

levi's 501 stf raw. the answer is yes, i presume?

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

S5000BK in my normal size. Just wasn't a good fit, the waist was fine but the upper thigh was looser than I'm used to as was the lower leg. I had them tapered and it still doesn't quite do it for me. Would have been better off with the 710BK, but it wasn't out yet.

Probably just not a match for my aesthetic...

that is just the thing with samurai, almost every photo (and the sufu photos of friends one wearing a samurai and the other another brand)
    i see the samurai not presented in the photo too well, it looks off, or cut strangely a bit loose and flaring out around the hips and etc.
    now it could be the camera angle but how come all the photos of the sammies look off/bad to me, it just proves to me the cut is not as aesthetic.

that is what prevents me from looking into samurai but i see how

popular it is on sufu and here, but with its cut, i dont know why it is that popular.

why is it so popular? is it just going through some phase because somebody made it popular?

14. whodini

levi's 501 stf raw. the answer is yes, i presume?
    Then my answer stands: as hot as you want/can take it for 30 mins. Personally I think you'd be better off putting them inside out into a tub or bucket since they're only going to shrink about 2" and will stretch out a bit after a few wears. To each their own.

15. whacked

whacked Senior member

that is just the thing with samurai, almost every photo (and the sufu photos of friends one wearing a samurai and the other another brand)
    i see the samurai not presented in the photo too well, it looks off, or cut strangely a bit loose and flaring out around the hips and etc.
    now it could be the camera angle but how come all the photos of the sammies look off/bad to me, it just proves to me the cut is not as aesthetic.

that is what prevents me from looking into samurai but i see how

popular it is on sufu and here, but with its cut, i dont know why it is that popular.

why is it so popular? is it just going through some phase because somebody made it popular?

People have different aesthetics and look for different cuts, accordingly. What works for GetSmart most likely wouldn't work for SuperBobo.