I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Then how come you'll see something like, "It's a 17oz but it feels much, much lighter because of a tight weave"?

Well, I think you're right in that the weight of the jean isn't the deciding factor for how they feel.

The weight of denim is pretty objective though. You take a square yard (I think it goes by yards) of the fabric and you weigh it.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Well, I think you're right in that the weight of the jean isn't the deciding factor for how they feel.

The weight of denim is pretty objective though. You take a square yard (I think it goes by yards) of the fabric and you weigh it.

Well that makes sense as that's what I was kinda referring to.

3. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

is rope dying where only the surface is dyed because the thread is first roped and then dyed?
    or is it dyed all the way through?

and what is the term for the lesser method of dying?

You're correct. The other method you're refering to is known as hank dyeing, where the dye reaches all the way to the core of the threads.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Thanks

Why would rope be preferred over hank? I would assume they are just both different kinds of dying:
    Rope leading to the conventional contrast fading
    And
    Hank dyeing for a multi levels of blue thru fade. No white contrast

5. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

whats better, ndg grey jeans, or apc ns grey jeans, taking the price difference into consideration?

i want skinniness and softness

6. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Thanks

Why would rope be preferred over hank? I would assume they are just both different kinds of dying:
    Rope leading to the conventional contrast fading
    And
    Hank dyeing for a multi levels of blue thru fade. No white contrast

I don't really know for sure, but most of the hank dyed jeans I can think of are natural indigo and extremely expensive. Perhaps it is labor intensive and cost prohibitive.

7. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Hey all,

I'm looking to start wearing 'better' jeans, whatever that might mean. I'm about 6'1" and a little bit less than 160 lbs. I recently lost some weight and am still wearing around my old 32w Levi's (I wear 507's at the moment, which I'm not really a huge fan of), but could easily fit into a Levi's slim jean in 30 (or maybe even 29) waist. With that said, I have somewhat muscular thighs, and am not sure how great they'd feel in 29's.

Anyway, I'd like to get some better-fitting jeans, possible in raw denim. Something slimmer than Levi's "slim" jeans would be great, but I don't want jeans that are so tight that they make my thighs look weird. In terms of styling, I'm not a huge fan of the slouchier Nudie jeans. Something aesthetically minimalist, yet still slim cut would be perfect. Of note, I'm a student without much cash to blow on jeans.

Any recommendations re: brands, sizing, etc.?

Thanks much,
    wmmk

Anybody? Or would it be ok to start a separate thread for this?

8. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

...sounds like an APC New Standard in a 28 would work perfectly for you. (They'll be very tight for a week, but you'll learn to love 'em.)

9. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I'm about 6'1" and a little bit less than 160 lbs. I recently lost some weight and am still wearing around my old 32w Levi's (I wear 507's at the moment, which I'm not really a huge fan of), but could easily fit into a Levi's slim jean in 30 (or maybe even 29) waist. With that said, I have somewhat muscular thighs, and am not sure how great they'd feel in 29's.

This always cracks me up. I just laugh when I see a 160 pound kid say he has muscular thighs.

Dude, Im 6'1 and weigh 50 pounds more than you. Nudie ralfs are nut huggers on me when they are loose on most everyone. Im muscular, your scrawny. Spent the money on some steaks and a bow flex and bulk up so you can wear pants with out looking like a straw.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

11. thorough

thorough Active Member

This always cracks me up. I just laugh when I see a 160 pound kid say he has muscular thighs.

Dude, Im 6'1 and weigh 50 pounds more than you. Nudie ralfs are nut huggers on me when they are loose on most everyone. Im muscular, your scrawny. Spent the money on some steaks and a bow flex and bulk up so you can wear pants with out looking like a straw.

most althletes that are in the 160lb range have very muscular thighs. everybody has different proportions. unless your looking at pics of his thighs you really dont know. some meatheads have stick legs. about the bulking up i think he would prefer to be slim. most fat people have big thighs. being an ogre is so 1995.

12. DocHunter

DocHunter Senior member

Where can I browse 5ep jeans online? I hear so much about them around here that I'm interested to see if they'll have cuts that interest me.

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Farinelli's blog. Revolve has a few pairs, too, I believe.

14. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

I have a pair of Nudie RRDS and am looking at a pair of Levis LVC 501xx 1947 on the FS section. How do these 2 compare to each other? I dont think I can go any slimmer then the Ralfs I have now, the curse of bodybuilding legs.

Are the Levis significantly smaller? I want something the same size as the ralfs or larger. Any other brand recommendations???

Bump to this question...

I finally have moved on from bootcut, and I'm comfortable with it. I'm just worried about what I'll be able to squeeze my thighs into.

15. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

Just got in some dry grey even stevens from denim bar today that I'm liking alot. I hear dry nudies stretch out alot so I'm kinda nervous about that since they fit exactly like I want them to right now..anyone have any past insight on this?

also, whats a Crate model that fits the bill for some straight leg jeans with a low-mid rise?

man..is it bad that i'm already starting to think about my next pair? it never ends does it...? [​IMG]