1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tropics

tropics Distinguished Member

Are you washing and spinning in the machine? That would explain the random electric lines. I try to keep it to a bath soak in woolite every 3 months for first year or so.

2. ericleavitt

ericleavitt Senior Member

As far as I remember, I hand washed them in the tub every time besides once. I have never put them in the drier, however.

3. tropics

Hmm. Not sure so.
    I’m not the right person to advise on hemming, because I don’t like cuffs at all, I always get a straight chainstitch hem. I expect the knees would drape a bit better if you got them hemmed and re-cuffed.

4. ericleavitt

ericleavitt Senior Member

Alrighty. Do you think the fade looks bad? Will it get better with age, or should I just sell them and get a new pair?

5. John L

John L Senior Member

Knees bag. It's denim and that's just what happens.

If you handwash, it'll regain it's shape.

If you're looking for legitimate fading, then only wearing them a couple days a week probably won't get you there. Fading contrast is just something that happens as the denim ages. Sometimes it does it well. Sometimes it can be a bit goofy. The good news is that, a few months down the road, it'll fade into something else.

Don't bother hemming unless you can find a place with a legitimate machine -- otherwise you'll ask for a chainstitch and just get back hemmed jeans without a chainstitch because they weren't certain what you meant. You'll have to ask around although 3sixteen used to fix jeans up right. I don't know if they still offer this service.

6. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Senior Member

If you're a fan of the 501 fit, then I would recommend trying RRL's straight-leg fit. And if you don't mind a lower rise, you can try the low-straight fit.

It's not unusual for jeans to fade to an electric blue throughout the fading process. The color will continue to evolve and, ultimately, lighten, as the threads bleed indigo. How quickly they fade depends on a variety of factors that are specific to your lifestyle -- and what you're doing in your jeans. Whether or not to get them hemmed is a matter of preference. For reference, I generally get my jeans hemmed 2 inches longer than my actual inseam length, which I find allows for versatility of use: one 2" cuff, two 1" cuffs, and although uncommon, worn without a cuff. Hemming the jeans should alleviate the knee-bagging (sagging around the knee) a little, but not by much. Unfortunately, knee-bagging (is it just me or does that sound crass?) is part of the process. That said, I don't think it looks bad. And I, personally, would not purchase another pair, because you're likely to have the same or similar experience. Hope that helps.

7. tropics

Yeah don’t sell em, just wear the hell out of them and they will get there.