• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you washing and spinning in the machine? That would explain the random electric lines. I try to keep it to a bath soak in woolite every 3 months for first year or so.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you washing and spinning in the machine? That would explain the random electric lines. I try to keep it to a bath soak in woolite every 3 months for first year or so.
As far as I remember, I hand washed them in the tub every time besides once. I have never put them in the drier, however.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure so.
I’m not the right person to advise on hemming, because I don’t like cuffs at all, I always get a straight chainstitch hem. I expect the knees would drape a bit better if you got them hemmed and re-cuffed.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure so.
I’m not the right person to advise on hemming, because I don’t like cuffs at all, I always get a straight chainstitch hem. I expect the knees would drape a bit better if you got them hemmed and re-cuffed.
Alrighty. Do you think the fade looks bad? Will it get better with age, or should I just sell them and get a new pair?

John L

Reaction score
Knees bag. It's denim and that's just what happens.

If you handwash, it'll regain it's shape.

If you're looking for legitimate fading, then only wearing them a couple days a week probably won't get you there. Fading contrast is just something that happens as the denim ages. Sometimes it does it well. Sometimes it can be a bit goofy. The good news is that, a few months down the road, it'll fade into something else.

Don't bother hemming unless you can find a place with a legitimate machine -- otherwise you'll ask for a chainstitch and just get back hemmed jeans without a chainstitch because they weren't certain what you meant. You'll have to ask around although 3sixteen used to fix jeans up right. I don't know if they still offer this service.

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
Currently been eyeing RRL selvedge jeans online. Anyone familiar with RRL? Looking for a similar fit like 501’s. Love the washes that RRL comes in. Thanks!

If you're a fan of the 501 fit, then I would recommend trying RRL's straight-leg fit. And if you don't mind a lower rise, you can try the low-straight fit.

So, I bought these LVC 1955 501's in Rigid back in April~. I wear them like 1-3 times a week. I've washed them maybe 4 times or so with Woolite Black. They have Electric Blue fades, and I'm not sure if that is what its supposed to fade into...? When will they start to overall fade? I don't really like random lines of Electric blue. Also, should I get them hemmed a little? I think the cuffs may be too big. Another thing that bothers me a little is how the bagginess around the right knee is. I assume If I got them hemmed it would straighten out a bit? Thanks!

(older pic -- before first wash.)

It's not unusual for jeans to fade to an electric blue throughout the fading process. The color will continue to evolve and, ultimately, lighten, as the threads bleed indigo. How quickly they fade depends on a variety of factors that are specific to your lifestyle -- and what you're doing in your jeans. Whether or not to get them hemmed is a matter of preference. For reference, I generally get my jeans hemmed 2 inches longer than my actual inseam length, which I find allows for versatility of use: one 2" cuff, two 1" cuffs, and although uncommon, worn without a cuff. Hemming the jeans should alleviate the knee-bagging (sagging around the knee) a little, but not by much. Unfortunately, knee-bagging (is it just me or does that sound crass?) is part of the process. That said, I don't think it looks bad. And I, personally, would not purchase another pair, because you're likely to have the same or similar experience. Hope that helps.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah don’t sell em, just wear the hell out of them and they will get there.

bik2101

Reaction score
Stumbled on the easy guy fit from n&f. Are there any other denim with that kind of relaxed taper fit?

Valmak

Reaction score
What are some good jeans that are out now? I prefer a slim fit, a bit of stretch, not too heavy, blue.

Slh

Reaction score
I'm looking for a versatile pair of jeans, something I could wear with a tshirt and sneakers or shetland jumpers and chukka boots or with the occasional casual odd jacket and chukka boots. I really like the orslow 107. Do you think they could have such versatility?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Any reason they wouldn't?

Indigo jeans that have more white or natural weft visible are always going to look a shade more casual, as are jeans that have contrast stitching. That could conceivably make the odd jacket pairing less intuitive, but that mostly means you just want to focus on jackets with casual fabrics (more texture, less sheen) and details (patch hip pockets, less shoulder structure and padding).

On the plus side, the rise on those should be high enough that you can tuck a button-front shirt in without looking like a doofus.

Reactions: Slh

Slh

Reaction score
Any reason they wouldn't?

Indigo jeans that have more white or natural weft visible are always going to look a shade more casual, as are jeans that have contrast stitching. That could conceivably make the odd jacket pairing less intuitive, but that mostly means you just want to focus on jackets with casual fabrics (more texture, less sheen) and details (patch hip pockets, less shoulder structure and padding).

On the plus side, the rise on those should be high enough that you can tuck a button-front shirt in without looking like a doofus.
yes, makes sense what you say. I feel some jeans go fine with tshirts and jumpers but less so with odd jackets since their rise is too low and looks out of place, but since the orslow have a midrise they should go fine. Thanks for your help

fatsu

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for awesome (quality and comfort) washed denim, specifically light stonewash. I like skinny/tapered fit with little to no distressing, 100% cotton.

So far Han Kjobenhavn's tapered jeans in heavy stone have caught my eye, but the big tag in the back is not my fav.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics