• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

_gj

Reaction score
I am no denim expert but I will try to give you some options since I went through similar though process recently. I wanted to keep the budget around $150.

Some options are:
CT100x, LVC 1954, PBJ xx-015, warehouse 1000xx, Railcar finer goods journeyman.

A lot is also dependent on the size. I find that if you go way up in waist size, the overall cut is quite different. I ended up getting one washed LVC 1954 and I love the fit. I also got the MiUSA 501STF and after a soak, the rise was not that great and they needed extra taper by my tailor.

All in all, I think this is a tough combination unless you spend over $200.

If you want mid rise more than high rise, try the Unbranded UB201 and even the Levi's 541. Alternatively, your best and easier bet is to get some classic 501s (non STF) which are high rise and have them tapered by your tailor.

Hey doomx,

Thank you for the recommendations! I may just stick with a classic 501.

Hey Andy,

This wouldn't be the first time I've ever over-analyzed something - comes with the territory of what I do on a daily basis. :)

You're absolutely right - sometimes you just have to dive in and get your hands dirty.

On a separate note, I contacted Sid Mashburn concerning the non-selvedge denim that are made in the US. According to their customer service, the denim is "cone-milled denim and made in a factory in California."

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey doomx,

Thank you for the recommendations! I may just stick with a classic 501.

Hey Andy,

This wouldn't be the first time I've ever over-analyzed something - comes with the territory of what I do on a daily basis. :)

You're absolutely right - sometimes you just have to dive in and get your hands dirty.

On a separate note, I contacted Sid Mashburn concerning the non-selvedge denim that are made in the US. According to their customer service, the denim is "cone-milled denim and made in a factory in California."

Cone milled or Cone Mill?

_gj

Reaction score
Cone milled or Cone Mill?
Hey Fueco,

Good question - I was a bit puzzled myself by the reply.

The exact words from the customer service agent was cone-milled...I don't know enough to know whether or not that is a real thing or if the agent misspoke/ignorant.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Fueco,

Good question - I was a bit puzzled myself by the reply.

The exact words from the customer service agent was cone-milled...I don't know enough to know whether or not that is a real thing or if the agent misspoke/ignorant.

I'd guess that either the agent doesn't know the difference or was trying to pull one over on you. Cone milled is not a thing. Cone Mill is the primary source for USA-made quality denim fabric.

_gj

Reaction score
I'd guess that either the agent doesn't know the difference or was trying to pull one over on you. Cone milled is not a thing. Cone Mill is the primary source for USA-made quality denim fabric.

Hey Fueco,

I received a confirmation of Cone Mill Denim. No specifics on the shop in California though.

Last edited:

Webbo

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hiut sanforised raw denim jeans that are probably 1" too large on the waist and maybe 1.5-2" too long. It really would be too much trouble right now to change them or send them to be altered so I wondered would a machine wash shrink them down to the right size? If yes then any recommendations on temperatures etc? thanks

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sanforised denim will generally shrink a little in a warm wash and tumble dry so it's worth a try if you have no other options. Could you try to sell them? for the length, are you cuffing?
a hot wash and tumble dry might get you half an inch on the waist which could be workable.

Versace Guy

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hiut sanforised raw denim jeans that are probably 1" too large on the waist and maybe 1.5-2" too long. It really would be too much trouble right now to change them or send them to be altered so I wondered would a machine wash shrink them down to the right size? If yes then any recommendations on temperatures etc? thanks
You can try soaking it in near boiling hot water for an hour. It will make it harder for the jeans to get pronounced fades later, but it should shrink it down a bit. Only use tumble dry as a last-ditch solution.

Hiamosey

Reaction score
Pbj xx 007 question

I just got these jeans. They're beautiful. I am worried that I might need to exchange them for a bigger size. They're perfect everywhere but the waist. The waist fits now, unsoaked, with a little room to spare. If I soak them will they become too tight?

Do I need to size up and have a ton of room in the waist

Bullitt

Reaction score
^
Pbj xx 007 question

They will shrink when you wash or soak them and then stretch out again in the waist. You should pay attention to the thighs; if they are tight and will shrink even more, you might want to get a bigger size.

macher

Reaction score
Hi wear Levi’s 501 selvedge jeans 31x34. They always stretch 3/4” - 1” to an almost perfect fit. When I buy them I make sure the waist is 15 3/4” laying flat and like I said will always stretch to around between a 16” - 16 1/4” laying flat. I love the fit of the 501’s in the waist when they stretch out and the rise is perfect.

Currently been eyeing RRL selvedge jeans online. Anyone familiar with RRL? Looking for a similar fit like 501’s. Love the washes that RRL comes in. Thanks!

Hiamosey

Reaction score
^

They will shrink when you wash or soak them and then stretch out again in the waist. You should pay attention to the thighs; if they are tight and will shrink even more, you might want to get a bigger size.

I have about a .5" to spare in the thighs. The waist fits a tad loose pre-soak. Can I expect the waist to return close to pre-soak measurement?

My main concern is that the next size up is way too big.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have about a .5" to spare in the thighs. The waist fits a tad loose pre-soak. Can I expect the waist to return close to pre-soak measurement?

My main concern is that the next size up is way too big.
Yes, eventually.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I bought these LVC 1955 501's in Rigid back in April~. I wear them like 1-3 times a week. I've washed them maybe 4 times or so with Woolite Black. They have Electric Blue fades, and I'm not sure if that is what its supposed to fade into...? When will they start to overall fade? I don't really like random lines of Electric blue. Also, should I get them hemmed a little? I think the cuffs may be too big. Another thing that bothers me a little is how the bagginess around the right knee is. I assume If I got them hemmed it would straighten out a bit? Thanks!

j3mJEu1.jpg
Uf5yNGEEQmy-rS3yRk7HwxrBufhhQiDbc4QyGhjnK5bZivhpBRTudPSCP7k7hUMVgZN7M82CYFMXjY1Kd7Fk8UVXMfhy2UoVKoh9BV9KOws0f_vLVGn-cGoDWmRkymBl39FXtamVmftYr69BvLLfJttMKyorwM1knCVjCpPXGGPGBn6jdf37mv4QupI5WjruBnU0U2iDDV8-hRBWpSk1aT3mOeO28aiLA7iT9r-v-4iEHget0tcIbB4-mYNIVdGVjx2JtwUsiP3S2VQQog2pZwCrOBlFryiIJ2EQ-5mYTFuWEPFvEjhgUp-XlDJ06W5bPu5l6Opykd8jktiMCwtS8BrO19CrRFWgxYLp5Pg8-DR-CD80E6irubjhLaJD8ZpfR2MP7BDnMQ89UQQe62l8QZYGbnlucmUhe23yRVEUW45-JgCHy66MzUMDgmsTirFr7_TwUmogG45pVLpVzAOGZEjIXeWKM54JMQpNzd67mrkE0rZqTFGgUrldejkf17SEe7U38zKGU7ivMVlRxavXmG3OofB0AklrzJEEnwEhKYkI0WT9bzbf24jINyeNK1E2jo0SL-zIe0EL4ABGUwX7n4O_t6qPxfCW5QkGDPnoxLSakg8gseMiu6fRkbzDkATZJev4RgdO_I4aTpLT5j0JVsRHuBx6M9TTdKZsyfiVU0gjEFapSv_dTOAHz_Y=w2876-h1432-l75-ft
(older pic -- before first wash.)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drdanielva