I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. _gj

_gj Member

Hey doomx,

Thank you for the recommendations! I may just stick with a classic 501.

Hey Andy,

This wouldn't be the first time I've ever over-analyzed something - comes with the territory of what I do on a daily basis. :)

You're absolutely right - sometimes you just have to dive in and get your hands dirty.

On a separate note, I contacted Sid Mashburn concerning the non-selvedge denim that are made in the US. According to their customer service, the denim is "cone-milled denim and made in a factory in California."

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Cone milled or Cone Mill?

3. _gj

_gj Member

Hey Fueco,

Good question - I was a bit puzzled myself by the reply.

The exact words from the customer service agent was cone-milled...I don't know enough to know whether or not that is a real thing or if the agent misspoke/ignorant.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd guess that either the agent doesn't know the difference or was trying to pull one over on you. Cone milled is not a thing. Cone Mill is the primary source for USA-made quality denim fabric.

5. _gj

_gj Member

Hey Fueco,

I received a confirmation of Cone Mill Denim. No specifics on the shop in California though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

6. Webbo

Webbo Senior member

I have a pair of Hiut sanforised raw denim jeans that are probably 1" too large on the waist and maybe 1.5-2" too long. It really would be too much trouble right now to change them or send them to be altered so I wondered would a machine wash shrink them down to the right size? If yes then any recommendations on temperatures etc? thanks

7. tropics

tropics Senior member

sanforised denim will generally shrink a little in a warm wash and tumble dry so it's worth a try if you have no other options. Could you try to sell them? for the length, are you cuffing?
    a hot wash and tumble dry might get you half an inch on the waist which could be workable.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

hey folks, anyone know of a good fitting selvage jean that is either cut like nudie grim tim or APC petit standard?

9. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

You can try soaking it in near boiling hot water for an hour. It will make it harder for the jeans to get pronounced fades later, but it should shrink it down a bit. Only use tumble dry as a last-ditch solution.