I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

J.Crew makes a decent pair of selvedge jeans, so I say got it if the fit works for you. I had a pair for a while, but have moved on to other brands that fit me better.

2. ryan123

ryan123 Senior member

is it possible to go to a tailor to increase the front rise of a pair of denim? Assuming they need extra fabrics? can they use the fabrics they remove from the inseam?

3. Tim Ross

Tim Ross Member

Hi! I'm not sure how to post a new question, but I was wondering if anyone can help me! So I have a pair of Levis 510 that have a 13.5" leg opening, but when I measure them with an actual tape measure it says around 6 1/4"..am I missing something simple here?

And can anyone recommend other jeans or brands that have that size opening? My ankles are sooooo skinny!

OK thanks all!

4. skriefal

skriefal Senior member

The 13.5-inch spec refers to the full circumference of the leg opening. I suspect that you're doing a "flat" measurement, which should be approximately half of the circumference (or very slightly less) - so about 6.75 inches.

5. Tim Ross

Tim Ross Member

Thanks so much!!! :)

6. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

It is not really possible to increase the rise. There is no place to pull the needed extra fabric for from the existing front material, and you can't really add extra material in (from the cuffs as you suggest). I mean you could effectively sew a second waistband onto the top of the original waistband, but it would look very odd.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This, plus that sounds like an expensive project that could cost nearly as much as just buying a new pair of jeans that the rise you want.

8. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

What is the best way to wash coated denim jeans? Hand wash? Dry clean? Can you machine wash cold? Are they best avoided in the first place?