1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I just compared Brave Star's slim taper measurements to my Levis 522s, and the front and rear rises are about 1.25" smaller on the Brave Stars. Guess I won't get them.

2. TheRiblet

TheRiblet Active Member

I think this is the thread I have been looking for. I recently bought some Truman Boots because I like the idea of them being made to order here in the the U.S. and they are one of the only companies out there making narrow size boots. While doing my research for those, I've also started to rethink what jeans I am buying. I like the look of Grease Point Workwear and Raleigh Denim Workshop but if I paid half of what these companies are asking then they would be the most expensive jeans I have ever owned. Also, it isn't always easy for me to find jeans that fit. I'm about 5'8" and play tennis and workout pretty much daily to keep my insomnia at bay, so the skinny jeans that many of these people are rocking are never going to work for me. I typically need to be able to try pants on in person and many of these brands don't have a big presence in Central Florida. If you are interested in these jeans, or ones of similar quality, what would you suggest as a good starter jean for poor people? Maybe I'm not exactly poor but I'm pretty damn frugal. I can justify paying $500 for a pair of boots that I can have resoled and will probably have for the rest of my life but I'm not sure I can say the same for a $300 pair of jeans. The brands I have been wearing are just Levi's 513 or 514 or surf/skate brands like Matix and RVCA. Does J Crew make decent jeans? what would you suggest?

3. tropics

tropics Senior member

decide on your price point and scroll through the last few pages, see if any brands stand out. look for the posts focussing on wider thighs. gustin is usually considered a good price / quality ratio but there could be sizing issues as they don't have physical stores. maybe try an online option that has free returns.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. TheRiblet

TheRiblet Active Member

Good call on Gustin. Just checked their site and I'm pretty sure I will be getting on the list for at least three of their current products by the end of the day. Hopefully their jeans fit.

5. John L

John L Well-Known Member

You can also try Levi 501s shrink to fits. Obviously, not selvedge, but a reasonable jean if you haven't got the dough. Additionally, the Levis you mentioned aren't awful jeans. I believe Levis offers most models in raw denim form.

6. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Any suggestions for jeans with a pretty aggressive taper and a regular rise?

7. skriefal

skriefal Senior member

Levis 512 have an ~10.75inch rise with a very small leg opening of less than 13 inches. They're too tapered for me - but you might like them. There's also the Unbranded UB601 and Naked & Famous Easy Guy if you need more room in the thighs.

8. doomx

doomx Senior member

I tried the UB601 last week. I wear 35-36 in 541 and Jcrew. I tried the 36 in the unbranded. It was slightly loose at the waist. These were the highest waisted jeans I have ever tried (that's a plus for me). Unfortunately it was quite loose in the thigh. The 34 was comically tight. I would need to try a 35 but it wasn't available. However, judging from the 36, the quite loose thigh and the strong taper, can make these look funny and rather out of proportions.

I am reading online that the Taylor Stitch democratic fit can be higher waisted but the front rise seems quite average. Is the back raise higher than usual? Any experience with these?

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Does anyone have a good source for dyneema-blend denim (the fabric), ideally with a bit of stretch?

Thinking of having a pair made, since the people who make dyneema jeans (Saint, TS, etc), don't make them in the cut I'd prefer.

The UB601 does seem pretty close to the old, much mourned, Levis 522. Thanks for mentioning it, guys.