I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Well I'm not deadset on keeping them as dark as possible. But for my first wash (Or rather, soak? I don't know the correct term) I'd prefer to keep the denim as dark as possible. I want to starch the jean because I love how rigid jeans look (especially the creasing and such). I was just wondering what the best combination would be (for example, warm soak, no detergent, liquid starch mixed in) in order to achieve shrinking and minimal color loss. I was under the impression that warm water was needed in order to shrink clothing (apart from putting them in the dryer). I also have liquid starch laying around, might as well use that, right?
    You can really search around for this info and see the experiences others have had. But to put things simply, the thought behind maximum shrinking is hot wash with a trip in the dryer. Understand that most shrinkage you get from this will likely be lost within a couple of wears. You could also loose a fair amount of indigo from the hot soak/drying. So for saving color, just cold soak them or if they're especially dirty, use woolite dark. Then throw them in the hot dryer to shrink. As far as the starch goes, the only experience I have is with the spray can variety.

2. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

So anyone know how 5EP Straight Downs are supposed to fit? I have a pair that seems to have some hip flair issues...I thinking they are likely a size too big...but maybe its the cut?

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

So anyone know how 5EP Straight Downs are supposed to fit? I have a pair that seems to have some hip flair issues...I thinking they are likely a size too big...but maybe its the cut?

I don't think hip flare is that common, but how is the fit in the waist?

4. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

a bit too loose...and kind of like the RB6s I use to have, the crotch is pretty....baggy...

5. km83

km83 Active Member

I need some help re One Wash Sorahikos.
    I usually wear a size 32 that sort of stretches out to a size 33 given time.
    However the 45rpm online store only has size 31 or 32 available. (i will be shipping to friends house who lives in japan).
    http://www.45rpm.jp/shop/goods/goods.aspx?goods=5036031
    question do i get the size 31 and hope the stretch or get the size 33 and hope they don't?
    thanks guys.
    any help is appreciated living in the denim wasteland that is Australia.

6. T0t

T0t Active Member

You can really search around for this info and see the experiences others have had.

But to put things simply, the thought behind maximum shrinking is hot wash with a trip in the dryer. Understand that most shrinkage you get from this will likely be lost within a couple of wears. You could also loose a fair amount of indigo from the hot soak/drying.

So for saving color, just cold soak them or if they're especially dirty, use woolite dark. Then throw them in the hot dryer to shrink.

As far as the starch goes, the only experience I have is with the spray can variety.

But won't the hot dryer make the jeans lose their original rigidity? Would a hot soak inside out (they're not dirty so I don't really need any detergent, unless you recommend I throw some in to try and retain the indigo) and some liquid starch diluted in do the trick?

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

But won't the hot dryer make the jeans lose their original rigidity? Would a hot soak inside out (they're not dirty so I don't really need any detergent, unless you recommend I throw some in to try and retain the indigo) and some liquid starch diluted in do the trick?
    Buddy, they're $50 jeans. I've already suggested methods to keep them as dark as possible but since they're Levi's there really is no telling how much indigo's going to come out in a soak. I'm not sure if you're expecting miracles from this wash or what. If you feel that a hot soak and starch will turn out better, give it a shot. Experiment. Relax.

8. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I need some help re One Wash Sorahikos. I usually wear a size 32 that sort of stretches out to a size 33 given time. However the 45rpm online store only has size 31 or 32 available. (i will be shipping to friends house who lives in japan). http://www.45rpm.jp/shop/goods/goods.aspx?goods=5036031 question do i get the size 31 and hope the stretch or get the size 33 and hope they don't? thanks guys. any help is appreciated living in the denim wasteland that is Australia.
    I tend to buy 32 in all of my jeans, I got my sorahikos in 31 and that worked out well. I think pretty much everyone says to size down 1 for the sorahiko, so get the 31. BTW, these are the new cut of the sorahiko. I have no experience with these, but would imagine the sizing would be similar.

9. jamoo

jamoo Senior member

Looking for some new denim. My only pair of raw - well, my only pair, period - are selvage Nudie Straight Svens. I've had them a year and I''d like to step up to something higher quality to rotate in. I'm looking for something I can dress up a bit more than the Svens, straight leg (very little to no taper), medium to medium-low rise. I'm leaning towards the KMW 1950s or 2010s. Any other recommendations? Any tips on sizing are appreciated also... my Nudies are tagged 32/32, measure 33 in the waist and are a good 1.5 inches too big, I find the length just a bit too short and would probbaly go for a 34 inseam.

Thanks!

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Looking for some new denim. My only pair of raw - well, my only pair, period - are selvage Nudie Straight Svens. I've had them a year and I''d like to step up to something higher quality to rotate in. I'm looking for something I can dress up a bit more than the Svens, straight leg (very little to no taper), medium to medium-low rise. I'm leaning towards the KMW 1950s or 2010s. Any other recommendations? Any tips on sizing are appreciated also... my Nudies are tagged 32/32, measure 33 in the waist and are a good 1.5 inches too big, I find the length just a bit too short and would probbaly go for a 34 inseam.

Thanks!

KMWs have pretty low pockets, so I'm not sure about how that will work for dressing them up...

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Can anyone recommend jeans with a fit similar to Helmut Lang's classic bootcut? I have big legs from soccer and no other pair of jeans has fit me as well as those (small waist but generously sized around the quads). Sadly, they are starting to wear out. Bonus points for a dark wash and a raw denim option.

12. nicewithit

nicewithit Member

Hi i just bought my first pair of Raw denim and love it. I have the Apc rescues in a size 28(normally wear 29-30 in other pants). I was wanting another pair that fits just like it but the rescues dont come in any other wash.

Is there another simple looking jean that fits the same but comes in a different wash, perhaps something lighter? Also how would the sizing be compared to the rescues? Oh and it would be nice if it didnt cost much more than the apc rescues...

thanks ahead

13. Studio27

Studio27 Senior member

Is there another simple looking jean that fits the same but comes in a different wash, perhaps something lighter?

wear the rescues and they'll fade. indigo comes out with washes, becoming lighter.

14. nicewithit

nicewithit Member

wear the rescues and they'll fade. indigo comes out with washes, becoming lighter.

thanks for the reply. I think I should have been a little more clear with my question. Im just looking for another pair to wear to rotate with these is what i meant.

15. dshack

dshack Senior member

So I was about to order some New Standards from Tobi, but then I realized that the rise might be too high for me. I'm about 5'4" with a 27.5" actual inseam, and a normally sized torso, so I'm always trying to make my legs look as long as possible, and it seems like low-rise jeans do this well (ie fitted in the seat, not hanging down). Am I right? Would New Standards be too high rise for me?