I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. filter

filter Member

I'm looking for a pair of black slim-fit, straight-leg jeans for under $180. I am roughly a size 29. Something that won't fade too quick would be preferable. Any suggestions?

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

3. dave

dave Senior member

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

+1

I'm wearing mine right now. Can't speak for fades and whatnot as I don't care for all that but I'm pretty impressed for the price. Sizing seems to be tricky though.

4. filter

filter Member

Those look awesome, but you're right, I think the sizing will be tricky. I'll probably need a 27, I'm going to dig around and see if I can find a pair. Thanks =)

5. Johnnyscans

Johnnyscans Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this question makes sense, so here goes.
    My first venture into raw denim was with a pair of APC rescues, sized down 3. These have stretched a ton now, i just did my first hot soak, and while i love the jeans to death, i'm starting to look forward to my next project, so to speak.

what would be the next logical step in denim, if APC is the entry level raw denim. I want something skinnier than rescues, with a smaller leg opening. I was looking at Ande Wall grifters, in addition to some of the Japanese brands on Self-Edge.

Long story short, what would be the overall reccomendation for my next pair, looking to go slimmer than rescues, and more or less a step up in denim quality and jean construction.

sorry if this question doesnt make all that much sense.

6. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Kicking Mule Workshop, RRL, or 5EP may be a good next step if you want to keep it simple.

If not, start looking at Blue in Green and Self Edge and see if there is anything there that catches your eye. Just make sure you do your research before you jump into unsanforized denim (which is what a lot of the stuff at BiG and SE is).

7. cksnipe

cksnipe Senior member

I'm looking to buy my first pair of selvedge jeans, but I'm not really into skinny jeans--larger upper torso just doesn't really look right with them. So, I'm looking for a pair of relaxed fit jeans. I'm 6'1 and 180 pounds--I have long legs and an athletic build. From what I've read, it seems like APC Rescues or Eternal 8XXs (866?) may be a good choice. Do you guys have any input or suggestions?

Thanks!

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

hey sho'nuff, those momotaro's on blue in green are basically the same cut as the ones I just bought. I posted fit pics back on pg 132 of this thread. That pair is sized up one from my normal waist (28) because my real waist size took way too long to get up over my thighs. I have larger thighs for my waist, but I'll attest to the fact that that cut does indeed have very tight thighs and a straight leg.

thanks but im not sure i like the momotaro aesthetic from what i see in the photos. back pocket with the two broad white stripes is weird to me.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

.on websites it says they have a 7" opening...does that mean 14" all around or literally 7". And please recommend me some denim that is sub $200 preferably that is reputable in quality, looks and has a larger leg opening.(a slim fit rather than skinny) Thank You.
    I dont think anyone could wear jeans that are literally 7" around at the opening 7" means when it's measured across, so 14" diameter for another sub $200 that is similar but not as skinny is Crate's "Journal" which is American Made using selvedge denim and the cut is slim but not skinny (about 8" at opening on a size 30). The buttons are cool too, the backs are engraved with the year the denim is from (since it's supposedly deadstock material). btw, you can get it online at Barneys.com

10. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

My boy. He might also want to take a look at the james. I'd say the journal is more of a slimish straight.

11. Johnnyscans

do you size down the same amount on all raw denim. ie if i sized down 3 on my apc rescues should i size down 3 on the skul 5010xx6x6?

12. whacked

whacked Senior member

^^

do you size down the same amount on all raw denim. ie if i sized down 3 on my apc rescues should i size down 3 on the skul 5010xx6x6?

^ Get them true to size. Your concern is the very reason APC is not the perfect gateway drug to high-end denim; stretching in APC denim is only an abberration, and definitely not the norm.

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

whacked, don't you just love APC jeans... [​IMG]

14. Johnnyscans

^^

thanks!

15. kleny

kleny Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone could wear jeans that are literally 7" around at the opening

7" means when it's measured across, so 14" diameter

for another sub $200 that is similar but not as skinny is Crate's "Journal" which is American Made using selvedge denim and the cut is slim but not skinny (about 8" at opening on a size 30). The buttons are cool too, the backs are engraved with the year the denim is from (since it's supposedly deadstock material). btw, you can get it online at Barneys.com

well the under $200 must not be applied...i really want a pair that will last me for years whether it be $150 or $280..keep it under $300 tho..=D

ive gotten suggestions for slim straight raw denim (not skinny) are the 5EP straight, KMW 1980 and 1950, APC rescues and Nudie Regular Ralf...

any ideas which one is superior to the other? they are similar in prices except for APC rescues but i really want to try another brand...