1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

Anybody have any experience with UJeans?

2. bakaroo

bakaroo Member

Who- thanks for the help. I wish I lived near a store that carries APC so I could try them on myself.

Does anyone have fit pics of APC rescues? I just want to see if the leg opening will flood my shoe or if it'll provide some stacking. I guess I could always have the opening tapered slightly if I choose to get the pants hemmed.

So this is kind of what I'm thinking: if I get the NS then I should size down 2 but if I get Rescues, size down 2 (or 3??) and perhaps taper a smidge? Thoughts?

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

What APC fit would be most comparable to 511's? Fitwise, 511's have been the best for me recently. The denim 511's are made with otherwise, sucks big time.

4. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

If you're looking for another pair because you hate the fit or denim APC uses, fine. If you're looking for something to fade faster then it doesn't make much sense to stop wearing jeans you've worn for two months to break in a fresh pair.

i like APCs denim, the fit is almost good i just want probably another inch in the knee and maybe half inch to an inch in the hem.

i was really just inquiring if some denim fades faster than other denim. if i have the option, i'd go for that. like some jap denim i've seen uses heavier denim like 15oz and 19oz and such, and i have no idea if that would have anything to do with how the denim ages. thats really the information i was trying to get from this thread ;P.

i do have another question though: i talked to warren g (we're actually best friends irl lol) and he told me that i should try some unsanforized jap stuff. stuff that requires a soak.

thats what confuses me... all the soak does is shrink the denim right? how much will it shrink? how do i figure out sizing on unsanforized denim?

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

What whodini was saying is that, regardless of the denim, rotating between 2 pairs of jeans will ALWAYS produce slower fades than just wearing one pair of NS.

BiG has measurements pre and post soak for some unsanforized denim, look at them to form expectations on shrinkage. But honestly, people go for unsanforized denim either (1) out of curiosity or (2) because sanforized option is not available. Those who do so because of the former usually end up realizing it's not worth the hassle.

6. rjakapeanut

really? you think i should stick with sanforized?

yeah i obviously realize the consequences with switching between APCs and whatever new pair i get, but i don't mind waiting a year or more to see fades on either pair as long as i have the versatilty of having two different pairs, lol. i want fades but i don't midn waiting if it means i can have another pair i like.

anyone suggest a couple pairs of sanforized denim that won't look so much like APC?

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

What whodini was saying is that, regardless of the denim, rotating between 2 pairs of jeans will ALWAYS produce slower fades than just wearing one pair of NS. BiG has measurements pre and post soak for some unsanforized denim, look at them to form expectations on shrinkage. But honestly, people go for unsanforized denim either (1) out of curiosity or (2) because sanforized option is not available. Those who do so because of the former usually end up realizing it's not worth the hassle.
    +1. After all my jeans you'd figure I'd be the least bit curious to go unsanforized. Wrong. It's a guessing game and you simply roll the dice on whether or not you'll end up happy. Unsanforized denim isn't as popular here as SuFu so you don't hear about it as much but if you go through some of their threads you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm also curious as to why Warren's pushing unsanforized on you as if it had anything to do with faster fading. I think the basic rule of thumb is that the heavier denim is then the harder it is to fade (think Iron Heart) but other factors like the types of cotton, types of indigo used, amount of starch used, any coating/resin, etc. also come into play. I'm not sure what you mean about more at the knee and hem. You mean you want a looser fit? You could routinely spray your jeans with starch and rub them with sandpaper all day... or... you could just wear them. Or hell, buy a pair of washed jeans. No one's saying you can't go pre-distressed here. But there is no magic formula for one day waking up in jeans with sikkkk fadez. It's a journey and the sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be about the jeans you're already in. And if you're looking for other sanforized jeans, jesus, have you been reading this forum at all? Crate, KMW, 5EP, RRL, rag&bone, etc. etc. etc.

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

What APC fit would be most comparable to 511's? Fitwise, 511's have been the best for me recently. The denim 511's are made with otherwise, sucks big time.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

I notice a pattern here...

Have you considered teh aPc Ns?

10. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

I am looking to try some apc rescues and have a fairly athletic build, i.e. muscular thigs. If I size down one size, will there still be enough room in the thighs?

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

I am looking to try some apc rescues and have a fairly athletic build, i.e. muscular thigs. If I size down one size, will there still be enough room in the thighs?

The rule of thumb for APC Rescue is to size down 3. They stretch like no others. And yes, there would still be enough room in the thighs.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

Jesus, fuck apc. They should be paying us for handling their retarded designers.

13. jefe

jefe Senior member

Searched a bit and failed to find an answer to this probably-already-asked question...

Living in Denver makes denim shopping pretty much impossible. I like the Earnest Sewn hutch fit, but no place in town carries them other than Nieman Last Call (and didn't have anything other than the milk/distressed wash). Any thoughts/recommendations on something that fits like the ES Hutch in a dark, minimally-distressed denim? I'm not hellbent on dry selvage super denim, just something that fits in a wash that doesn't suck.

I'm aware of the Harrison wash in ES and that is likely the direction I am going, but wanted to check if there are other options. I realize measurements are posted on context/revolve/etc, but I haven't been able to find specific measurements on the ES jeans to compare them.

So, in summary, something like the ES Hutch in dark denim that costs < $200. Thank you.

14. Enray

Enray Member

What Samurai cut is most similar to the Nudie SJ? I'm talking after you soak the Samurais.

15. Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander Well-Known Member

How much longer should you leave for stacking? I am normally a size 30 length. If I want to stack should I go 5 inches more? Shorter?

16. rjakapeanut

I'd suggest measuring your thighs with a tailors tape and then looking at APC rescue measurements on context or google.

17. Geruvah

Geruvah Senior member

Through a lot of searching for dark, dressy denim that will keep its color for as long as possible, I'm finding a few reputable brands (and it looks like 7FAM isn't one of them). I'm in no way a jeans connoisseur, so let's see if I'm doing ok for a total noobie (so apologies if I could've used abbreviations). First is the Naked and Famous Weirdguy: [​IMG] Yes, that pocket may be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's growing on me. How severely the fabric fades isn't quite clear to me yet. The J. Lindeberg Ted: [​IMG] Tapered. I wear a 28-31" (it's been fluctuating lately the last few months, jeez) waist, they have, the smallest, 31". Because of stretching, who knows if I should even be looking at these for the time being until there's more stock in a smaller size. Theory Ziggy.Miami: [​IMG] Tapered, yet raw and rigid. May not be the pair I'd want for a pair to be a bit dressy in with a sportcoat or my good shoes (after it's safe to wear on top of the shoes). I wonder how the quality is, as I think I've heard it's made in China. And you know what? Let's try it anyway. A.P.C. rescues: [​IMG] Good for my muscular thighs (22.5"). Wonder how much I can wear this before it begins to fade/crease/break in. Other than that, there was the Kyrre tapered jeans from Earnest Sewn but I don't know about those cuffs. I do like that Naked & Famous, but wondering what opinions anybody has on the selection so far.

18. Doctor Quack

Doctor Quack Senior member

How much longer should you leave for stacking? I am normally a size 30 length. If I want to stack should I go 5 inches more? Shorter?

There's more to stacking than the inseam of the jeans. Things like the hem of the jeans, the length of your legs, the rise of the jeans, and even the type of shoe will affect how the jeans stack. That said, I would say that a 34" inseam is generally the bare minimum for (any) stacking, though this will vary from person to person and from jean to jean.

19. Chinook

Chinook Senior member

Through a lot of searching for dark, dressy denim that will keep its color for as long as possible, I'm finding a few reputable brands. I'm in no way a jeans connoisseur, so let's see if I'm doing ok for a total noobie (so apologies if I could've used abbreviations). First is the Naked and Famous Weirdguy: http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1738/yhst1478880498451202525zz2.jpg Yes, that pocket may be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's growing on me. How the fabric fades isn't quite clear to me yet. The J. Lindeberg Ted: [IMG]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5392/prodimagemskq4.jpg Tapered. I wear a 28-30" waist, they have, the smallest, 31". Because of stretching, who knows if I should even be looking at these for the time being until there's more stock in my size. Theory Ziggy.Miami: [IMG]http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1772/prodimagemskj8.jpg Tapered, yet raw and rigid. May not be the pair I'd want for a pair to be a bit dressy in with a sportcoat or my good shoes (after it's safe to wear on top of the shoes). I wonder how the quality is, as I think I've heard it's made in China. And you know what? Let's try it anyway. A.P.C. rescues: [IMG]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8178/yhst1478880498451202629ea8.jpg Good for my muscular thighs (22.5"). Wonder how much I can wear this before it begins to fade/crease/break in. Other than that, there was the Kyrre tapered jeans from Earnest Sewn but I don't know about those cuffs. I do like that Naked & Famous, but wondering what opinions anybody has on the selection so far.[/I]
    my two cents. I have a pair of JL dry denimz. They didn't fade.. at all. Except for the hem from being stepped on. It wasn't the same cut however.. edit: mine also stretched an inch.

20. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Is it natural for raw demin to look weird at first when stacking? The stiffness makes it stick out at weird angles. Or am I stacking too much?