1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. stvwrd

stvwrd Senior member

Okay, so a few months ago I didn't know about premium denim until I found this site. I've read up a bit, but since there's not much premium denim in Seoul (and if there is, I'm sure it's absurdly marked up), I've been planning to wait until I go back to the US on vacation in a couple months.

However, a Uniqlo just opened near my house, and I'm desperately needing some new jeans, so tonight I bought a pair of the black Selvedge Regular Fit jeans (about $60- already the most I've spent on jeans in my life) as a 'practice jean.'

I've spent the evening doing searches of the forums for info on these jeans though, and it seems like not all selvedge jeans are raw, and since these jeans are already fairly soft, I'm guessing they're not really "premium" jeans, and may not get the well-earned fade that I'm hoping for.

Should I just take them back and exchange them for the pre-faded jeans that fit a little better and I almost bought in the first place? I HAVE to get some jeans either way. I've lost 30 lbs and my old jeans (even the ones that used to be too small) look ridiculous on me.

I guess my question can be summarized like this: Will these jeans be a pain in the neck to fade?

2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Hi i just bought my first pair of Raw denim and love it. I have the Apc rescues in a size 28(normally wear 29-30 in other pants). I was wanting another pair that fits just like it but the rescues dont come in any other wash.

I also wear a size 28 in APC Rescues. Here's what I have so far (in other raw straight-leg denim):

- KMW (Japan) 1950 size 30 (a touch tighter in the thighs than the Rescue)

- KMW (Japan) 2010 size 30 (looser than the 1950s) (note: I do not own this jean but I have tried it on in-store)

- 5EPxSDZ raw size 30 (a bit looser in the waist than the Rescue)

- Nudie Average Joe Dry Selvege size 30 (a touch looser in the thigh than the Rescue)

FWIW I am a true size 32 waist, but wear size 30s in most everything except the APC Rescue (28), KMW 1980 (31) and 5EPxSF (31) jeans. My limiting factor seems to be my thighs, which are a bit above average (22"). I will not buy a pair of jeans that are skin-tight around the thighs, which is probably an issue because that will mean the waist doesn't fit as nicely (e.g. 5EPxSDZ), especially after factoring in the stretch. My KMW 1950s and 5EPxSF are probably as tight as I will go in the thigh -- not skin-tight but they're getting close.

Note that I am talking about jeans that are new; I just got into this denim thing. My Nudies are the oldest at four months of weekend-only wear; the others are basically new or only worn once (e.g. my Rescues). As such, you should factor in some stretch. It will be interesting to see what happens with my jeans as they get worn over time.

3. nicewithit

nicewithit Member

I also wear a size 28 in APC Rescues. Here's what I have so far (in other raw straight-leg denim):

- KMW (Japan) 1950 size 30 (a touch tighter in the thighs than the Rescue)

- KMW (Japan) 2010 size 30 (looser than the 1950s) (note: I do not own this jean but I have tried it on in-store)

- 5EPxSDZ raw size 30 (a bit looser in the waist than the Rescue)

- Nudie Average Joe Dry Selvege size 30 (a touch looser in the thigh than the Rescue)

FWIW I am a true size 32 waist, but wear size 30s in most everything except the APC Rescue (28), KMW 1980 (31) and 5EPxSF (31) jeans. My limiting factor seems to be my thighs, which are a bit above average (22"). I will not buy a pair of jeans that are skin-tight around the thighs, which is probably an issue because that will mean the waist doesn't fit as nicely (e.g. 5EPxSDZ), especially after factoring in the stretch. My KMW 1950s and 5EPxSF are probably as tight as I will go in the thigh -- not skin-tight but they're getting close.

Note that I am talking about jeans that are new; I just got into this denim thing. My Nudies are the oldest at four months of weekend-only wear; the others are basically new or only worn once (e.g. my Rescues). As such, you should factor in some stretch. It will be interesting to see what happens with my jeans as they get worn over time.

Ace.... I really appreciate your response and will be looking into the jeans you listed. Im also new to the raw denim thing and have been wearing the typical designer jeans, Sevens, R&R, True Religions, Da'mage etc for years. Just trying to get away from those and try something else right now.

My thighs aren't big or anything but i prefer a little room in my jeans so thats why i liked the Rescues. If anyone knows any places around Dallas, Tx that has these jeans please tell me so I can try them on in person.

thanks again

4. butchhuskey

butchhuskey Active Member

Does anyone know where I can find 101z's in NY? I've checked a couple of places in NY on Lee's store locator and they don't seem to have them.

5. hookhook

hookhook Well-Known Member

What is the point of the KMW's lining the lower half of the back pockets? Does it serve a purpose (eg. maintain a good line in the seat area) or is it just a point of detailing? Either way I like my 2010's but am curious about the pocket lining.

6. tyates

tyates Well-Known Member

I like the rescues but found out they don't come in anything smaller than a 29. My jean size is 29 and I heard it's best to size at least 2 down.

What other choices are out there for me with the similiar quality and cut? I'd like to stay around the same price range as well?

5eP, Opi maybe??

7. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Senior member

should you size one down when buying acne max?

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Hey fellas....

I have a pair of nudie reg ralf dry selvage. I have about 3-4 months wear and they have stretched a fair amount.

Should I soak these to shrink them back to normal? I would hate to ruin the fading.

Thanks in advance

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

should you size one down when buying acne max?
    I tried the max in my usual size (32) and thought they fit perfectly. That said, I'm pretty sure they only stretch the typical amount (.5-1') so you might be fine if you don't have trouble with the occasional soak.
    Hey fellas....

I have a pair of nudie reg ralf dry selvage. I have about 3-4 months wear and they have stretched a fair amount.
    Should I soak these to shrink them back to normal? I would hate to ruin the fading.
    Thanks in advance

There's a never-ending debate about how long you should wait to wash jeans. The 6 month rule is given as a general guideline to enhance contrast but people take this as gospel.

Cold soak the jeans (read: no agitation) and you should be fine. Indigo loss will be minimal although they might come out a bit softer than before.

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Thanks for the reply houdini...

I was just thinking. Would it be possible to shrink them back without water? Maybe throwing them in the dryer for a little while?

11. Kobe12

Kobe12 New Member

i am looking to buy a pair of Levis 511 jeans my measured waist size is 30 and my measured inseam is 33 or so.

Where can a get a good deal for this and what size should i buy taking into account shrinkage and stretching?

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

I have a jean. It's 5EP x SF.

And I want a similar fit in a new jean, preferably raw.

Thanks.

lefty

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Thanks for the reply houdini...

I was just thinking. Would it be possible to shrink them back without water? Maybe throwing them in the dryer for a little while?

I'm not a magician.

Heat will shrink clothes so do what you want.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Has anyone here tried these Diors yet?

[​IMG]

15. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

How much do 5ep LDB Raws shrink in the hot soaks?

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Which ones are they, drizzt? Soft Inference? I haven't tried them but i'm sure there is a superfuture member who has. I suggest going into that dior thread in superdenim and asking there.

17. gforce

gforce Senior member

How much do 5ep LDB Raws shrink in the hot soaks?
    very little

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Which ones are they, drizzt? Soft Inference? I haven't tried them but i'm sure there is a superfuture member who has. I suggest going into that dior thread in superdenim and asking there.

They're some sort of grey/blue raw denim, I dunno what they're called but they're on eluxury.

19. jamoo

jamoo Senior member

I like the rescues but found out they don't come in anything smaller than a 29.
    I've tried on Rescues in 28.

20. denning

denning Senior member

Having just passed the one year anniversary on my PBJ xx-005s I am now on the prowl for a new pair of jeans. I bought a pair of the Ande Whall Grifters, but they fit a little too large on me and so I am planning on selling these in the B&S. In the mean time I am now looking for a new pair. I love the true straight leg fit on my PBJs and I'm looking for something similar (~8" opening), but I'm open to trying new fits (such as APC NS). My PBJs are a 32 but I probably should have gotten a 31. Right now the candidates include:

APC New Standard (30)
    KMW 1980s (31)
    Acne Mic Raw (I don't know what size. Advice?)

I have reviewed all the threads on these and am leaning to one pair in particular right now, but any other suggestions or comparisons between these would be greatly appreciated.

Much obliged.