I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bohn

bohn Well-Known Member

I'm a slim guy with approximately a 30'' waist. In the past, I've gone with jeans that are very fitted, but not to the degree that I'd call them tight. For this next pair, I'm interested in something more relaxed, but by no means baggy. A good standard cut with a mid-rise and relatively straight leg would do nicely. Here's the problem: I swim in anything that is marketed is "straight fit" or "relaxed," so I've had a rather tough time figuring out what I want. I'm slanted more towards Japanese brands at this moment, but I don't want to deal with a huge rise. Ideally, nothing more than 10.5'' in the front. I'd also like to use a proxy, as I want to get tabs and arcs if I am to go with the Japanese route. Anyone have suggestions, either for proxy or directly ordering from Rakuten, and more important, which jean?
    Yes.. I am in similar position to the guy above.. and I don't want the jean too slim either. I was recommended the Flat head F380.. but I am not sure that is for me. Suggestions?

2. bsblguy31

bsblguy31 Well-Known Member

I've decided to take the plunge and get my first pair of raw denim. I like APC's New Standards and from everything I've read on here, it seems like that'd be a good choice. Now just comes sizing and where to buy them. I usually wear a 32 waist (sometimes 33, depending on the jean) and I'm a 30 length. Also to give you an idea, I'm 5'10" and about 155-160 pounds with a fairly athletic build. My current favorite pair of jeans are these vintage slim garment-dyed denim from JCrew. They're slim but but not too slim by any means and they fit and look great. That's pretty much how I'm looking for the APCs to fit. I've read on some places to size down 2, but others say just one. From what I described, would you guys recommend I go with a 30 or a 31. Also, this is probably a dumb question but all of the APCs on Denim Bar have a 34 length. Is that just the standard? When picking a pair of raw denim, do you not even worry about the length? With that in mind, is a 34 length going to look bad when I'm normally a 30? Now comes where to purchase them from. If I can figure out a proper size, is it fine to purchase them online or would you guys recommend trying them on in person. I live in central CT, so I can take the train into NYC and try them on at the APC store if it's absolutely necessary. Thanks a ton for all the help and advice. It's much appreciated.

3. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

um, i don't think the denimbar honors the code now that mauro is gone...so no money saved.

I was under the impression that they would continue as an affiliate, I could be wrong though.

4. learner

learner Senior member

Damn, you've just covered every question ive been thinkiing of asking with the above post!

Lets hope there a reply [​IMG]

5. learner

learner Senior member

bsbluguy31 that is, obv [​IMG]

6. esspee1200

esspee1200 Well-Known Member

ultimate jean: AG (adriano goldschmeid) "The Hero" jean.

7. Jupiter Room

Jupiter Room Senior member

Technically, APC NS are entry level raw selvage denim but i'm assuming you want a japanese company. Most of these jeans are over $200 though as most all of the japanese repro company jeans are.

Skull 5010 6x6 are sold at self edge, Blue in green, and some other sites. Slim fit, maybe slightly more so than APC NS with really nice looking denim. There have been issues with stitching, but some have good experiences, some bad.

Samurai s0500 and 710- Both have top notch denim and quality. The s0500 is slightly tapered and slim but maybe slightly more relaxed than apc ns. The 710 is probably closer to the NS fit but maybe a bit slimmer in the thighs. Sold at blue in green.

I'm guessing you don't want nudies but the slim jim and grim timm are similar to what you're looking for and the grim timm can be found in selvage i believe. Cultizm, self edge, revolve and a million other places stock nudies.

Pure Blue Japan xx005. They're not tapered but a true straight leg, however, they're still slim in the top block. Found at blue in green.

Kicking Mule Workshop- Not a japanese company necessarily, but with very similar aesthetics. The 1980 cut is similar to the new standard and the rocker cut is a bit slimmer than that. Found at context, denim bar (soon will be at farinellis), and another place or two i think.

Flathead f310- Great denim, great fit (similar to ns i believe, maybe not as tapered), and good fading qualities. Sold at self edge.

I'd browse self edge and blue in green stores and look at the fits and measurements they have.

god i'm bored

Thanks a lot for the help! I've read a lot of favourable comments about Samurai jeans already on the forum, and was thinking about buying some, but I was unsure about which models I should look in to. S710 seems like a good choice. Now I have to talk to some friends in Japan and see if they can send them to me. Probably going to do a bit of measuring and thinking first. I'm in the process of loosing weight, so now is probably not the best time to buy jeans.

Does anybody know how much bigger the waist gets over time in the Samurai S710s?

8. onion

onion Senior member

[​IMG]

Hopefully we aren't talking about the same pair of jeans. The ones I saw are fugly....

[​IMG]

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I think we got the hint after the first fifteen posts of praise on several different threads: you work for AG.

10. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Hey, is there a Japanese brand that has an arcuate that looks like half of a levi's one? ( like (\\ ) ( /) instead of (\\/) (\\/).

I usually don't like anything on the pocket, but I swear I've seen this and it looks really cool.

11. caff

caff Well-Known Member

Hey, is there a Japanese brand that has an arcuate that looks like half of a levi's one? ( like (\\ ) ( /) instead of (\\/) (\\/).

I usually don't like anything on the pocket, but I swear I've seen this and it looks really cool.

I think some of the selfedge collabs do this, except it's asymmetrical from what I recall.

12. apocalypse later

apocalypse later Senior member

So I have a pair of Samurai 0500XX's. Problem is this: I get a lot of "poofiness" and just generally weird bulge. This is a bad question, because I can't provide pics and I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for my phrasing.

But does anyone know if this is just stiffness that will eventually subside? It just seems like there's excess fabric around the crotch that makes it look really weird.

13. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

My S5000BK is similar, I'm not planning on buying another pair of Samurai's.

14. funkygroove

funkygroove Well-Known Member

Looking for a new pair of jeans with similar "new standard" fit but better denim and a longer inseam. At this point I'm looking at samurai and skulls? Any ideas? better options? -FG edit: how about these: Samurai 15oz S0500XX

15. Joshua Arson

Joshua Arson Senior member

I think some of the selfedge collabs do this, except it's asymmetrical from what I recall.

Yeah the only ones I think I've ever seen that look like that are the Self EdgexIron Hearts and the Self EdgexFlat Heads. But they're asymmetrical, like you said.