Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Wow, thanks sauce. Thats a lot of good info. Id rep you if there was a system for it and my 4 posts mattered [​IMG] Im just a regular dude who wants to self-improve, so thanks for your expertise.

Let me get this straight. Are you telling me the RR's are narrower around the leg than an SS? Let me mention that Im more of a loose fit kind of guy with a muscular, not fat, build. I Just want it to look right on me. Also, for reference, this is what I am currently wearing (in order of [​IMG]

Levi 559 Straight 34x34 (Dark grey, awesome)
    Gap Bootfit 34x34 (Black, Great)
    American Eagle Bootcut 34/34 (light blue, last resort jeans. Pre torn and faded. what was i thinking?)

Finally, not to ask too much, any good belt/shoe combos? I (along with everyone on the board, love the clark beeswax desert). I also like the RM williams in a unique off brown color - problem is I just bought the born hemlock. Should I go for a new boot?

No problem, that's what the thread's for. What I'm saying is that the RRs are a little bit wider in the upper thighs, in my experience, than the Svens in the same size--so a 34 Sven is probably going to fit you somewhere inbetween the 33 and 34 Ralfs in the upper and mid thigh. However, just to make it a little more confusing, the knees on the Ralfs are smaller than the knees on the Svens, because the Ralf is a bootcut and the Svens are straight-leg. So while the thighs on the Ralfs start out a little looser, they get tighter as you go down the thighs more quickly than the Svens do. In general I think it sort of evens out.

I'm not sure what you're asking on the belt/shoe question.

2. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

APC / Nudie and other brands like that promote 6+ months because they don't hold up too well to washes and lose indigo pretty quickly. You should feel free to wash Flathead and other Japanese brands as needed.

P2G, would you include 5EP in that list of "wash as needed"? I think I saw on the 5EPxSF thread that you have those jeans ... I have one as well, along with a SDZ. I've worn them a handful of times (and I do mean handful ... like <5x each) while I've been trying to break in my Nudie AJDS. I can't wear jeans to work so my break-ins are limited to weekends during cooler weather and it's maddening. [​IMG]

Finally, not to ask too much, any good belt/shoe combos? I (along with everyone on the board, love the clark beeswax desert). I also like the RM williams in a unique off brown color - problem is I just bought the born hemlock. Should I go for a new boot?

I'm a fan of the Sugarcane repro belt; having unlucky (that's his SF username) make me a 1.25" version as we speak. He's shipping the belt this week so I'm hoping to have a "range report" this weekend when it comes in the mail. If you're interested, he seems to have a long list of SF satisfied customers and has a thread in the B&S area.

3. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

size down one for kmw 1950's?

I have a pair of KMW 1950s. I went to Denimbar Arlington to try them on in-person. My true waist size is 32 (a bit less now that I've dropped 9 lbs) but the size 30s fit me very well. Note that my thighs are a bit larger than usual (22-23"). The KMW 2010 in 30 also fit well, albeit a bit baggier in the leg.

As a contrast, I tried on the KMW 1980 in 30 and could not get it on. Thus, YMMV on each specific cut.

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

P2G, would you include 5EP in that list of "wash as needed"? I think I saw on the 5EPxSF thread that you have those jeans ... I have one as well, along with a SDZ. I've worn them a handful of times (and I do mean handful ... like <5x each) while I've been trying to break in my Nudie AJDS. I can't wear jeans to work so my break-ins are limited to weekends during cooler weather and it's maddening. [​IMG]

I'd say 5EP is pretty good about holding its color. I wouldn't wash any of my jeans TOO much, but there is no need to set weird restrictions on it.

5. onion

onion Senior member

Wash them when they need to be washed. That's really all there is to it. APC / Nudie and other brands like that promote 6+ months because they don't hold up too well to washes and lose indigo pretty quickly. You should feel free to wash Flathead and other Japanese brands as needed.
    Exactly. Here are some examples of quality denim that was washed heavily and still came out with great fades: Worn 5 months, washed every couple of weeks 15 months, 12 washes Some of the actual jeans worn by the owners of quality denim companies (Note the number of washes each one has)
    LA Guy said he washed his 5 or 6 times in the first 6 months and still got great fading, and very little color loss.

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

^^ Thanks P2G and onion

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

LA Guy said he washed his 5 or 6 times in the first 6 months and still got great fading, and very little color loss.

LA Guy wore them to the Denimbar party--the fading was great. 5EP can definitely take multiple washes with no problem. For that matter, even APC and Nudie can handle multiple washes and end up with much, much better fades than most people think. People stress too much about washing their jeans.

8. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Senior member

thanks for the answer to my previous question.

I was just wondering if the initial hot soak would shrink the leg opening of a pair of jeans? I am afraid to bring my F380s to a tailor to get em tapered.

thanks

9. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

quick question. I'm considering getting a pair of rigid levis 514s. My size in most jeans is 32x30. So that means I should get a 33x32? if I wear them in the tub or whatever it is I'm supposed to do, will the length really shrink down to 30? I really don't care for &quot;stacking&quot; so I don't want them bunched up a lot.

10. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

thanks for the answer to my previous question. I was just wondering if the initial hot soak would shrink the leg opening of a pair of jeans? I am afraid to bring my F380s to a tailor to get em tapered. thanks
    They won't shrink much at all in diameter, no. But I would still recommend hot soaking any unsanforized jeans before you have a tailor make any alterations. You're going to have to hot soak them before you wear them anyway.
    quick question. I'm considering getting a pair of rigid levis 514s. My size in most jeans is 32x30. So that means I should get a 33x32? if I wear them in the tub or whatever it is I'm supposed to do, will the length really shrink down to 30? I really don't care for "stacking" so I don't want them bunched up a lot.
    I don't think the rigid 514s are sized like that--that's what you'd do if you were buying the shrink-to-fit 501s, but the 514s are sanforized. Buy your normal size.

11. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

I have a pair of KMW 1950s. I went to Denimbar Arlington to try them on in-person. My true waist size is 32 (a bit less now that I've dropped 9 lbs) but the size 30s fit me very well. Note that my thighs are a bit larger than usual (22-23"). The KMW 2010 in 30 also fit well, albeit a bit baggier in the leg.

As a contrast, I tried on the KMW 1980 in 30 and could not get it on. Thus, YMMV on each specific cut.

so you sized down 2?

my true waist (two inches below navel) is about 30 and i'm hoping a tagged 29 will hopefully give me the right waist size

12. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

any idea what the april 77 sinner and dictator models fit like? i read someone's post in SuFu which said the sinner was similar to the thin finn in terms of skinniness....

also, with april 77's in general, is it true to size?

13. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

so you sized down 2?

my true waist (two inches below navel) is about 30 and i'm hoping a tagged 29 will hopefully give me the right waist size

Yes. I will add that I haven't worn my 1950s very much so I cannot account for stretch yet.

14. learner

learner Senior member

Looking to buy a pair of Raw Denim jeans, APC's or Nudie's.

Was looking at the APC site but it seems there is much better value to be had elsewhere. This is especially so because of the current exchange rates. Buying in dollars would be a big advantage to me.

Can anyone recomend a good online store that ships to Europe at a reasonable rate?

Thanks.

15. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

is there pretty much no store on rakuten that ships to japan?
    i'm also wondering if pbj offers denim for repairs

^^ selfedge ships worldwide free