1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

If jeans bleed indigo after a soak, it is because it is excess indigo. Soaking will not cause indigo loss. Indigo at first is not soluble in water and after the dipping/dying process at the manufacturer, indigo oxidizes into/onto the fabric. Indigo is only lost due to abrasion, which gets more apparent after washing, when the indigo which was rubbed off, leaves the fabric.

Excess indigo is just indigo that has not caught onto the fibers of the fabric, because the cotton yarns are allready saturated with dye and thus can't hold anymore.

2. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Correct...it is just surface indigo dye that didn't penetrate the cotton fibers, doesn't effect the depth of blue or color of the jean whatsoever...it will however affect the color of your hands and every lightly colored item you may sit on for about a week. But a well made pair of jeans will leave very little to nothing in the tub (unless agitated like you mentioned) and it will just loosen up some of the surface dye that never quite settled in. Actually, side note, loomstate denim can get darker in color post soak, than sanforized jeans. Sanforization doesn't take all of the shrinkage out, just most of it, and the weft is more visible due to the already loose weave, that just stretches out considerably more than non sanforized jeans.

3. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

My Deep Purple J Brands are Still losing Color in water, and they're not even raw![​IMG]

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Poor manufacturing. Never understood the draw of mid-tier jean brands, either buy basic and cheap or fork over the money to get something of quality is how I look at it. They are mostly names with large price tags, their production and quality is not on par with what their price tags suggest. I remember about ten years ago, I had a pair of 7 jeans and the third time I wore them, the entire inseam of my thigh just completely ripped right open, and those were $180 at that time (no idea what they are now). That's when I swore off those brands.

5. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Luckily I got them reduced to £35 from £245 from Yoox with a free shipping code, so not exactly a disaster!

6. narcispy

narcispy Member

Well I ordered the next size up on my Rogue Territory Stantons and they are just too loose. So I think I'm better off staying with the original size. They just seem really tight when sitting down in the legs. How long does an average break in period last? I guess that's really only answered how often you use them right?

7. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Yes. But you could opt to wear them damp. Cotton is easier to manipulate when wet.

8. narcispy

narcispy Member

Would that cause the indigo to start to fade quicker?

9. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

No. I allready mentioned before. Water alone, does not cause indigo loss. Wearing them damp to stretch them out easier will not to, either. Only abrasion will.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm no clothing scientist (or any other kind of scientist for that matter), but I think that's partially incorrect. I think indigo loss can occur not just through abrasion, but through the agitation of the material that occurs when you manipulate it by, say, bending it or stretching it. When you get whiskering around the knees or crotch, it's not (I think, anyway) just because the denim is rubbing against itself as it creases, but also from the stress the creasing itself puts on the fabric.

11. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

It could, because it could remove so excess surface dye, however these are sanforized so I don't believe that would be an issue, the indigo is fairly set.

I wouldn't recommend wearing your jeans when wet or damp. Because cotton is so easily manipulated when wet, wearing them that way and create other problems like knee bulges and rear bulges. If you can do it and just lay down maybe outside or something in the sun and let then dry on you, thats one thing, but movement and sitting can mess up the structure of the pants.

This would be correct.

12. narcispy

narcispy Member

I guess I'm confused. Are we speaking of hot water or cold water? Anyway, I'm unsure what to do. I almost feel like my thighs are going to rip these things when sitting down. I would assume they are stronger than that though.

13. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The hotter the water the more the cotton contracts and shrinks. Your jeans won't bust but that also sounds really uncomfortable. I must have misread, if your trying to stretch your jeans out then I would soak them in like warm water and wear them and try to not sit down til they're dry (lay down or stand) or you'll get knee bags. Your thighs are barely gonna stretch though, if at all. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

actually forget that...if you have jeans that you need to soak and get wet and then wear to try and make them work then you have the wrong pair of jeans. Don't wear them anymore, get what money you can for them, and invest in a pair that fit in the hips first, then worry about the waist measurements and everything else after.

15. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

True. But the keywords are stress, agitation and abrasion. Just running water over denim wouldn't hurt.

Also @ Jompso: You could also opt to partially soak trouble regions. I'm not in the wear them damp camp either, for the obvious reasons. But you either have to toughen up and break them in, size up or find another way. Just because of the latter I've mentioned it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  16. jcw122

jcw122 Member

Hi,

I'm looking for some new jeans. I like how straight/slim cut jeans look, but I've gotten sick of feeling nearly immobile in them. I also hate barely being able to put my hands into my tight pockets, or having pockets that barely fit my Android phone without hampering flexibility even further. I'm also tired of the low-rise trend...even "mid" rises annoy me.

I'm wondering if any jeans with all of the following features exist:
    -Straight/slim cut
    -Gusseted crotch (http://www.allamericanclothing.com/gusset.html) or just greater flexibility in general.
    -Deep pockets
    -High or mid rise

I currently have Gap Straight cut jeans, and they seriously hamper my flexibility and comfort. Budget is $100 or less.

Thanks.

17. msg

msg Senior member

[​IMG]

Dark Stantons after one year of wear and one wash.

2 people like this.
  18. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Looking good!!!

No idea, as I'm UK based, you wouldn't find any jeans for $100...sorry[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  19. ktown

ktown Senior member

FWIW I bought a pair of Rogue Territory Stantons 14.5 oz and they fit nicely. I bought them locally in LA and got them chain stitch hemmed by Self Edge. Anyway, they are higher quality than my APC's and more importantly they aren't as skinny as the PNS but they are still a very slim jean. I tried on the 3sixteen ST (I forget exact model) and the 3sixteen's were definitely looser fitting. One thing I noticed was the 3sixteen's were softer to the touch. The Rogue Territory's have nice back pocket stitching as well. For anyone who's wondering, I'm TTS 31 and I needed to take 28 in Rogues and 30 in 3sixteens (quite a difference - size down 3 vs 1).

In store prior to hemming, the Rogue Territory Stanton:

[​IMG]

In store trying on 3sixteen:

[​IMG]

20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

nice… you could have just posted this instead of making us all wait to click the link.

[​IMG]