I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

for the slub jeans , is a black pair in slub (pbjxx005bk) a factor that is not as aesthetic as in indigo?

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Skulls (although some people have had serious quality issues with them),
    i've heard his from a couple people but no one has ever really elaborated about the skulls. it is just poor construction? buttons falling off stitching coming undone? i know they fade like crazy. does the denim tear really easily? what is it? because the 5010xx sounds like just about the perfect cut for me and i've been debating getting them or the 710's

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

that is what i deemed a fault with the somet 003. dang darts go past my knees.

The 003 are the straight fit; they don't have darts.

for the slub jeans , is a black pair in slub (pbjxx005bk) a factor that is not as aesthetic as in indigo?

I guess that's up to you...

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

i've heard his from a couple people but no one has ever really elaborated about the skulls. it is just poor construction? buttons falling off stitching coming undone? i know they fade like crazy. does the denim tear really easily? what is it? because the 5010xx sounds like just about the perfect cut for me and i've been debating getting them or the 710's

Not sure...to be honest I haven't followed the SuFu thread that closely, so even though it's long and complicated you're probably best off trying to find the answer in there:

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...66#post1173566

Initially there was huge Skull hype b/c of the cut, everybody went out and bought a pair, and then there was a huge backlash when a substantial number of them had some serious problems, I think mostly to do with stitching coming loose. I don't think there's been too many complaints lately, so maybe that's been taken care of?

5. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

hey sf.

recommend me a jean! 29" waist, dark wash, straight leg not too skinny and not too baggy. go.

oh, and no more raw denim.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

So a regular fit that's somehow distressed and at any price???

If you're bargain diving, go RRL. They've got some great washes for usually very reasonable prices.

7. rjakapeanut

i'm not exactly bargain diving, i'd obviously love to get a pair on the cheaper side but if the perfect pair pops up i don't mind spending money on them, $200 or whatever.

i'll check out RRL.

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

If that's the case, 5EP might be another option for you. Only problem I see is that their washed stuff is usually oversized so you'd have to find a pair of 27s or so for them to fit you.

RRL retails for well over $200 but the washes are frequently found on ebay or here on B&S. Normally I'd suggest checking out DenimBar for RRLs but we no longer pledge allegiance...

9. rjakapeanut

i went to the mall and tried some stuff on, and i'm pretty sold that i need a pair of jeans that sit low on the waist, regular/loose through the thigh and straight leg. kinda like j crews vintage slim fit.

hmmm...

10. cchen

cchen Senior member

i recommend kmw 1980 in rinsed - its a great pair of jeans with amazing details

11. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i don't know if this is the right thread i've searched on google and forums. anyone know of a online store that has flat head f310 in waist 28 in stock?

thanks in advance

12. eidolon

eidolon Senior member

Held off on buying Levi's earlier, going to pick some up now that I'm getting close to heading back to school. Levi 514 vs. 501. 501 is classic, I know, but I'm a bigger guy and I'm thinking the 514 might work better for me -- this is with no experience with the 514, and a fair amount with 501s. 514 is based on 527 (a bootcut that's mostly straight leg until the lower calf, low-rise), and I'm assuming that has a little more relaxed fit than a 501. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. edit; Looking on certain sites, 514 is listed as being slim in the seat and thighs, while 501 has seat as "comfortably relaxed" and thighs as "regular." [​IMG]

13. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

14. eidolon

eidolon Senior member

514 is a slimmish straight leg, not a bootcut.
    I know, but it's supposed to be based on the 527 sans the bootcut. I've actually been looking for a little more room in the crotch and thighs than the 501 gives (I was considering going up a waist size and just using a belt), but if the descriptions are accurate the 514 is even slimmer. edit; Basically, I'm just trying to clarify: 514, tighter in the thighs and the crotch than the 501, or more relaxed? vv Alright thanks Saucemaster. A pair of 527s and another pair of 501s it is.

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

I know, but it's supposed to be based on the 527 sans the bootcut. I've actually been looking for a little more room in the crotch and thighs than the 501 gives (I was considering going up a waist size and just using a belt), but if the descriptions are accurate the 514 is even slimmer.

edit; Basically, I'm just trying to clarify: 514, tighter in the thighs and the crotch than the 501, or more relaxed?

The 514s are a bit tighter in the thighs and top block, definitely.