1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. colonelrascals

colonelrascals Member

looking for a pair of black jeans. willing to go around 200. Something with a slim silhouette, don't really know what brands to look at for black jeans. Figured this would be the place to come

2. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

If I were you I would take a look at these (I've never tried them, just look good from the pics)

http://www.3sixteen.com/collections/denim/products/st-220x-slim-tapered-double-black-selvedge-denim
    http://www.mrporter.com/mens/Acne_Studios/ace-cash-slim-fit-denim-jeans/411317

above your budget but maybe you could find them at discount somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. colonelrascals

colonelrascals Member

I'm fine with 3sixteen love their stuff. I was looking at acne and was hoping to get some feedback on them, I remember reading about them doing black jeans well.

These are literally the only two pairs I've looked into on my own. Funny how that works.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I think 1 and 4

What sizes are they all?

Pm if you prefer:)

5. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

Acne?

They're dark grey, but their other selections might appeal. Seem to be what u lookin for. Dark coloration, slim cut, around that price range when on the bay or sale. A bit more on full retail.

6. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

Posted then saw this literally two posts up. My B.

7. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

@colonelrascals , have you looked at Naked & Famous at all? black power stretch SG/SSG or the sulphur-dyed WG could work.

8. Swagged

Swagged Well-Known Member

How do you tell if your jeans fit? My waist measures in at 29.5 inches. I purchased a pair of levi's 511 black stretch jeans with 29 waist 30 length and there's about a 1-2 centimeters (less than an inch) of space between me and the pants, now when I try on the 30W30L levi 511 of the same pants i have about 1-1.75. of space between me and the pants, I don't know which one to get, im thinking the 30 just incase I gain weight, but I don't know...I know for a fact a 31 is too big for me, but i'm torn between a 29 and 30....

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. thenitwit

thenitwit Well-Known Member

How do your belts fit both? Is there bunching? If you're hitting the middle hole and there's no bunching / slippage...I'd say they're fine. You could always get the 30 and have them altered at the waist...but I haven't done this yet but might have to. I always find jeans stretch on the waist after a while but could be because I'm wearing them too small :/

I'd use the belt as a reference / any major bunching / what happens when you squat - do they slide off your rear?

That's what I think but I'm no expert. Hopefully someone else can advise

10. Ireges

Ireges Active Member

Hello, all ––

I've been reading the forum for some time without joining, but today I haven't been able to find something that tells me:

How can I tell if a new pair of jeans is sanforized?
    And also if it's raw denim? For the latter I generally just judge by the color, it's evenness, general appearance and etc., but perhaps this is unreliable, I don't know.

I have some new jeans from John Varvatos and another from Naked and Famous –– they look like raw denim, but I can't tell if they're sanforized, and I need them to shrink a little... not sure what to do about it. I'm also looking to preserve the dark indigo color that they are right now. I've made the mistake of washing jeans and taking them out of the washer about 7 shades lighter all around. Any steps I can take to keep the dye from fading would be good to know–– I've heard that jeans fade until the first wash, but then again the last time I washed my jeans, as I said, a lot of dye was washed out, so I'm a little confused, and realized I know nothing about denim; I don't now how I've gotten by.

Apologies for stacking questions, I did run a search but the results were too scattered, oh well ––

11. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Looking for another jean recommendation. I really love the fit of my somet 008s but the rise is a little too low for me. Is there a jean with a similar cut but a slightly higher rise? Somet thread didn't yield much info.

12. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Naked and Famous are raw but sanforised

They do tend to shrink and fade if washed too much - I've only got one of my original 3 pairs remaining, but although they were worn out after just one year, it was because of MRSA infection...

Generally the more you invest in your jeans, the better quality you get:)

13. Ireges

Ireges Active Member

Cool, thank you, guess I'll be returning them. Unfortunately my investments are rather severely limited, cheers

14. Gumley

Gumley Member

Got my first pair of raw denim last year, which scared me off of raw denim for a while. They were Unbranded UB101. They didn't fit well and were so damn uncomfortable. They were like wearing a cardboard box. I just couldn't do it, so I sold them.

Thought I'd give it another go and got some Naked & Famous Weird Guys in broken twill greencast selvedge this week. These are amazing. ALMOST perfect. Bit tight in the crotch area (and I'm not saying I have some monster dangus, I'm just a regular Joe). I got another pair of Weird Guys in Indigo for a really good price, but they don't fit as well (same size though).

Is there anything like the Weird Guys but with more of a taper bellow the knee and to the opening?

15. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

i asked a similar question and jompso the member recommended somet 030 and iron heart ih-555

1 person likes this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I dont know if this has been answered yet or not, haven't checked this thread in about a week or so. If the thighs are so tight that you can't get them up to your waist and are unable to button your fly, then it's the fit. Sizing up 1 or 2 sizes is definitely going to give you a bigger thigh, but the change wont be drastic enough for you to have comfortable mobility. I'd look into a wider cut.

17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I would regularly recommend to always go with the smaller pair of jeans when in between sizes. The waist will stretch, belt or no belt (however wearing a belt is highly recommended so they do not stretch too much). The elastane in the jeans however, will make it so these are less susceptible to stretching out, however they will most likely stretch a little (I am unfamiliar of the ways of blended denim). I would go small.

18. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The best way to find out if jeans are sanforized is to ask. If they do not make mention of any Shrink To Fit or be sure to soak, type labeling, they are most likely sanforized. Sanforization seems to leave a light sheen on the fabric that many denim enthusiasts tend to like, and unsanforized denim has a hairy, dryer, and less pliable nature to it, however the best way to find out is to ask. This factors greatly into all facets of the denims life span. How much they will stretch and how much they will shrink when washed, two things that are quite important. If the denim is a dark shade of blue and is stiff, they are most likely raw or once washed. If it has these two factors and also has a selvage seam, they are almost always raw or once washed. But again, there are the same model jeans that are sold as once washed and sold in their raw state. Side by side, you'd be able to tell the difference by their sizing and their appearance but individually, it is slightly more difficult. Again, as I stated above there are a few ways of figuring it out, however, asking the purveyor is always your safest bet. And finally, the preservation of your indigo depends on the quality of denim and the process in which they were dyed. If you have a high quality pair of Japanese woven denim, there will be little to no color loss after a hot soak or two (before wearing, or wearing for just a couple days or so), as long as you do not agitate them when soaking. They may lose a little surface dye, however this is just excess dye and will not lighten the jeans. Jeans can also appear to become darker when soaked because the denim contracts, covering up the light colored weft. Just make sure when you soak, they are fully submerged and then soak them in very hot water for a half hour, empty the tub, and repeat. This will get all the shrinkage out and you will lose little to no indigo. Just remember the key is no agitation. Agitating the jeans really allows the hot water to penetrate the surface cotton fibers and with indigo dye being water soluble, you lose denim coloration and your dark pairs lose their dark hue when put into the machine. I would never recommend a machine wash for the initial soaking process. Hope this in someway helps

19. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

What is your price range? I'm guessing by the brands your choosing its is less than $200? There are plenty of quality tapered jeans out there that could suit your needs, and I have tried on a pair of weird guys, so I can be of some help. Just let me know what price range your looking in.

20. accordion

accordion Senior member

Looking for a pair of slim tapered jeans preferably below $300,I have a 35" waist and 25" thighs, lifting made my thighs too big for PBJs, I'm looking at Japan blues/JB406 and Rogue Territory SK, but heard RT isn't for people with big-ish thighs. Left Field Chelsea doesn't taper enough, owned a pair of N&F jade selvedge and didn't like the low rise, retired a pair of APCs already. What else should I look at? To be exact, I need something with a knee of at least 8.5" and thigh of at least 12.25" in a size 34 or above, and preferably with a leg opening of narrower than 8". The only jean I've found that matches that are JBs but I haven't looked too hard.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014