1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Although I did like the 3sixteens even though the rise was a little small for my personal taste, I agree with the Stantons. Great pair of jeans, and great for guys with bigger thighs who want a slim silhouette. Good call.

2. accordion

accordion Senior member

i thought wide hips/thighs should go for tapered?

3. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Glad to be of help. Yea the stiffness is due to the starch resurfacing but I actually would have recommended you let them hang dry all the way and not wear them while damp because movement could have stretched them out a little. Since they are sanforized, wearing them while wet doesn't really have the same effect on shaping them to your body as unsanforized denim does. However, I am glad that it worked for you and they fit again, so congrats on that. Yes, be sure to wear the belt with the jeans, keeping the jeans snug to your waist with greatly avoid future stretching and good luck with your Gustons.

4. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

They should, but the issue at hand is that the jeans needed to have wide thigh and a tapered leg but they also needed to be hemmed down to a size 29. So that would remove a lot of the tapered effect, essentially turning them into a pair of straight legged jeans.

5. max1230

max1230 New Member

So I recently had a pair of my 7 for mankind bootcut jeans slimmed down by denim surgeon in NYC. The fit is excellent now. The only issue is now that some fabric has been removed due to the process, there is a sharp contrast between the jean color. Pictures below will show what I am talking about. Is there a way to make the color transition look a bit smoother? Would a light brushing with sandpaper do the trick? I do not want to damage the jeans and I am not going to bleach them either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

I would take them back there and see if they can do some distressing to even out the fade pattern. The dye is so imbedded in those jeans that I don't think washing them a few time in hot water with a lot of agitation will do the trick will do the trick, and sand paper may work, but I would pay someone to attempt to do it first, before I try that. You will most likely need to take them to a professional, someone that specializes in denim, and see what they can do. I think that's the best option you have.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

I don't see how the extremity of the taper matters. You can always specify how much you want to retaper. Just ask to taper 1 cm or something.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. guitar2013

guitar2013 Well-Known Member

Are 7 for all man kind, Hudson, AG good brands for jeans?

I just got a Hudson Byron today. Still testing out at home to make sure it really fits me, otherwise I'll return it.

From the jean waistband, I put my finger in and stretch. It stretches out up to 2.5 inches. This jeans fit pretty tight on the thigh. I can still pinch the jeans and pull it out a bit (which means my legs have some room to breathe and maneuver). So do you guys think this fits?

Another question: I go to a tailor to measure my waist where I will wear my belt. He reads 32.5 inches. However this jeans is 29 inch. The jean rests below my belly button, while the tailor probably measured at the belly button. Is this common for guys? I always get confused at sizes for jeans and pants/trousers/chino.

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Well the he has big thighs and is short, needs a 29 inseam and wants it slim tapered. So pants that have a taper made for a 36 inch inseam with bigger thighs are going to be fairly wide at the 29 inch mark, making for the slim taper below the knee look extreme, thats why I say there are few brands to select from like LVC because they make 30, 32, etc.. inseams, so they are already cut to make the taper look more natural. I just had this image in my head which I personally don't find it to be the best look, I mean its alright I guess, but not really my style.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. matryx

matryx Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there are any denim shops near Detroit Michigan? I'm heading there soon and would like to pick up some raw denims

11. doubleUp

doubleUp Member

A few questions...Whether you can answer them yourself or provide a link that would help, I'd appreciate either.

1 - 15.5cm, 17.5cm, 19cm, etc.. I see this often. Especially on MrPorter and Luisaviaroma. This is the leg opening or hem measurement, correct? Does this measurement also have any relation to how tight or skinny the jean will be? I would think so, right?

2 - Denim weight. oz ...Is this only relevant to raw denim?

3 - Selvedge/Selvage (?) denim vs. Made In Japan denim. Is one better than the other?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  12. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

1. Yes those centimeter measurements are in reference to the hem (or leg opening, same thing) of the jeans, usually taken at a size 32 inch waist. The hem size will increase or decrease by roughly .5-1cm per size (i.e. 33 inch waist would have roughly a 19.5 cm hem, and size 31 would have a 18.5 hem etc..). These are rough estimates, it will vary slightly depending on the denim. And yes the hem sizing relates to the fit of the jean nearly every time. The hem is tapered down from the knee, so they need to keep this ratio intact. Thus a 15.5cm hem is going to have an extreme taper, and to make this taper look clean and not so extremely evident, the top portion of the jean will, in most cases, be extremely skinny. Again the ratios differ by brand (and I'm assuming you saw these measurements from either Diors or Saint Laurents) so they may be fairly consistent to one another as far as fit goes, since they were both developed by the same designer, Hedi Slimane.

2. Denim weight is measured by the square foot. So if you pick up a pair of 14.5 ounce raws, that means each square foot of that fabric is 14.5 ounces. For the most part, it is mainly relevant for just raw denim. For predistressed jeans, people more often than not, go for comfort and fit, and raw denim is for daily wear in efforts to create your own fades (there is no one out there buying raw denim because they find it more comfortable). It's a personal preference what path one takes, how stiff, light, heavy, or thick they want their raws to be.

3. Selvage denim just means that the denim was woven on pre-1960s era style shuttle looms, before projectile looms were introduced. These looms create a "Self Edge" at the end of the roll, that keeps the fabric from unraveling. Jeans made in Japan are most often selvage because of the many Japanese companies commitment to reproducing the quality of denim that was being made in the mid 20th century. So made in Japan and Selvage are almost synonymous. There are other places that produce selvage denim, like the US for example, that is of excellent quality as well. However, cheaper versions of this fabric are starting to be produced outside of these 2 countries, and I would steer clear of these (i.e. China).

Hope that clears things up

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. doubleUp

doubleUp Member

^ Thanks man! Answered everything I needed to know

14. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Are there not any local stores you can shop at, that you need to go to Detroit to purchase denim?

15. matryx

matryx Well-Known Member

There are. Just thought there might be some other brands of raw denim that I can't get I'm Canada for a decent price while I'm there. Usually us Canadians pay more for that same things especially car parts and electronics.

16. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Could you tell who makes that pair? I'm also looking for some tapered jeans and have difficulty in finding a pair that fits my short legs. All my jeans have been hemmed to 30" and they don't look same as they used to be as their cut are meant for long inseam like 36".

17. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

They are Imperials, "The Prospector" model. You can get them at Self Edge.

18. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Thanks for your help jompso.

19. guitar2013

guitar2013 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think about the fit of this jeans? Please ignore the seam. I haven't hemmed it yet. I'd like to make sure it fits me around the waist and thigh before keeping it.
    This is 29 waist. I feel fine in this size. I can insert my hand into my jeans [​IMG]. With 30 waist I begin to feel that the waistband is sagging. However, with this one, you can see there are some wrinkles at my crotch, which I think this may be too tight. I do feel the jeans hugging my thigh. Since it has elastane I feel fine.
    All comments are appreciated.

20. doubleUp

doubleUp Member

Why do some black jeans have white fraying, and the others are just pure black? What's the difference here?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014