• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whereismyshoe

Reaction score
Alright, cool thanks. I'll look into it, although i'll probably end up getting the APC's anyways.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
how promising are these

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

i figure a black pair should be in the works (at end of this year) or maybe i should hold off on a black overdye indigo jeans somewhere.

i like the samurai above but the extremely high waist and rear is making me hesitate. should these be sagged a couple of inches ? get your true size?

fo'sho

Reaction score
how promising are these http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 i figure a black pair should be in the works (at end of this year) or maybe i should hold off on a black overdye indigo jeans somewhere. i like the samurai above but the extremely high waist and rear is making me hesitate. should these be sagged a couple of inches ? get your true size?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's going on with these accounts?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jean is pretty much just the S5000BK denim (search for poly's pics in the denim pics thread) in the 710 cut. Should be a wealth of information over in the superfuture samurai thread.

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ive been perusing sufu and i noticed that Samurai is held in pretty high regard over there. (here also)
especially in there This or That (a good idea for this forum btw) thread, hands down everybody chooses the samurai models over the vs similar fitting other brands like skull, pbj, eternals and others.

i know samurai uses the really heavier denim in their 15-21 oz jeans. they also carry a wide variety of cuts and combos of weight and cuts.

but what is it that makes this brand stand out besides these factors above? that makes them so appealing? will i notice when i get one and try one on? is it the fading factor?

i know they usually come in a more fuller thigh which is not my ideal. but besides that. anything makes them 'empirically' popular over the others?

i am intrigued

I've got Eternal 811s and Samurai 0500xx, and while they are not the same cut, I still feel the Samurai are superior. I think everything from the japanese-character-laden rivets to the denim to the construction are slightly cooler to me, a cut above the Eternals. Keep in mind, the Eternals are still outstanding in every regard.

What it probably comes down to is that Samurai offers so many different cuts and denim, they have a wide fanbase (as far as raw denim niche goes). For example...Skull inherently attracts only people looking for a very skinny cut, thus limiting their fanbase. Similarly, Eternal, with their quintessentially repro top blocks, get nothing but complaints of "hip flare" from skinny guys with no ass.

So, in many ways its just unfounded brand loyalty. But no two companies make the EXACT same cut, and no two people are identical, so one person may find another brand's cut more appealing.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to try on many different types and pick the one for you. So, just make sure you assess what your build is...research what cuts are designed for what build...etc...

You really can't go wrong with ANY of the usual ***. repro brands

DBoon

Reaction score
I'm a few months in on the 0500xx, and ya I did lose about 1.5 inches of back pocket stitching on the back left pocket. Bad habit of mine, to put hands in back pockets and pull on them. Not a big deal...just cut off the popped stitching with scissors, found some similar-colored thread, and 1 needle and 30 seconds later it was good as new.

As far as crotch blowout, that's relative. It has to do with how tight the jean is on you, and what you do in them. If they are super tight and you are running hurdles....you're gonna have a problem nomatter what brand you wear. If it's not skin-tight and you just engage in normal sit/stand/walk/run activity, you shouldn't have a problem for a long time.

*NOTE* I know 0500xx use 100% cotton threads and are thus quicker to die than polycotton thread...not sure if Samurai's entire catalogue uses 100% cotton thread or not.

But, honestly, even the most desparate crotch / stitching repair or re-enforcement is about a simple job for a competent tailor, even yourself.

buttonman

Reaction score
kinda in the same vein as sho'nuff
what other brand makes heavier models than 14-15oz, like from 17-21oz. i know there's iron heart, samurai, the sda 21oz model, 1001 from FH, anything else? heavy denim is really starting to get in me but i would like some variety instead of the usual samurai *blank* that's 17+ or being stuck with 14oz stuff, though not to say that they're terrible

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info.

one last question (and for anyone)

which cuts (slim) are more preferable between the two:

samurai 19-21 oz. cuts or IRON HEart 21 oz cuts

thanks

IH634 isn't really a slim cut...they make a low(ish) rise cut, but it's a bootcut. There's the SExIH03 cyclist jeans, which are dope but are also $360 and only available in limited sizes now.

OTOH, Samurai only does one 'slim cut', the 710, and it's actually got a highish rise. There's the new 610, which is true low rise slim fit, but is "only" 15oz.

So...I guess it's up to you. Both make nothing but great jeans, they just don't do too many slim cuts.

Originally Posted by buttonman
kinda in the same vein as sho'nuff
what other brand makes heavier models than 14-15oz, like from 17-21oz. i know there's iron heart, samurai, the sda 21oz model, 1001 from FH, anything else? heavy denim is really starting to get in me but i would like some variety instead of the usual samurai *blank* that's 17+ or being stuck with 14oz stuff, though not to say that they're terrible

PBJ makes one, but it's natural indigo and $500+. ESEF makes a 21oz, but they are a pain in the @$$ to do business with.

I think you pretty much ran the gaumt in your post, at least in terms of readily available SE/BiG brands.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
IH634 isn't really a slim cut...they make a low(ish) rise cut, but it's a bootcut. There's the SExIH03 cyclist jeans, which are dope but are also $360 and only available in limited sizes now.

OTOH, Samurai only does one 'slim cut', the 710, and it's actually got a highish rise. There's the new 610, which is true low rise slim fit, but is "only" 15oz.

So...I guess it's up to you. Both make nothing but great jeans, they just don't do too many slim cuts.

that is the thing. there is not one perfect slim low waist japanese model thus far.

the 710 i realized are too high up.
Iron heart's a boot cut. the flat head has the strange back pockets.

and the somets im sort of realizing the darts dont look too good running past my knee caps.
if it werent for the darts,
i would have put somets as the perfect slims.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is the thing. there is not one perfect slim low waist japanese model thus far.

Actually there are a few, just not in heavier denim like you asked.

PBJ 005, Skulls (although some people have had serious quality issues with them), Flat Head 3001, and Dry Bones would all do the trick. And even the Somet 003 straight fit is fairly slim (it has a super low rise).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Actually there are a few, just not in heavier denim like you asked.

PBJ 005, Skulls (although some people have had serious quality issues with them), Flat Head 3001, and Dry Bones would all do the trick. And even the Somet 003 straight fit is fairly slim (it has a super low rise).

that is what i deemed a fault with the somet 003. dang darts go past my knees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads