1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

if the jeans dont have felled seams, you can taper from the inseam but if they're felled seams then they have to taper from the outseam. tapering could cost anywhere from 15-30 depending where you are.

2. datguy21

datguy21 Well-Known Member

I have some old Gstars in a size up. What do you think of the seat? Should I get the waist adjusted and save them or bin them?! :)

[​IMG]

3. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Why don't you give them to a charity shop?

Otherwise bin them-they're much too small!

Did you order any more Levi's - apart from the 511s they looked great on you!.:)

4. datguy21

Good idea. I have a ton I need to chuck out whilst I redo my wardrobe. I'm just waiting for the 504s to turn up but I'm going to try the 511s in a size up and see what happens. I doubt the results will be great. Same with chinos. Think I'll see if I can pick out and Dockers regular or a classic fit chino and report back. Seem to be harder to get many variations though!

I take it you meant 504 and not 511 above?, :) I ordered 5 pairs of the 504s but thought I'd give the 511s a whirl in a size up just to see if I get more narrow leg opening. If they don't look great, then sod it as they'll need the waist taken in which I presume is a pretty big operation.

Gotta find chinos though so will try them on in 34 and 36 just in case I need (which I probably do) the extra room. Are you aware of any chinos that fit like the 501? There are some Dockers in the UK but only the slim. I couldn't find any charts online but may just order the D2 and D3 and return the wrong one accordingly. As they're not cheap for UK prices but a good fit is a good fit.

For trousers, I think I'll go MTM but would rather avoid it. Over here a good trouser seems to come up t the same cost as a cheap online MTM. But I'll keep trying to find a fit!

I don't like the 508 much anymore as it's a silly extreme taper on me and I prefer the straight down look as with the 504s! I'll try the 511 in a size up and se if it flatters me more, if not, I'll still have those 504s :)
    Really can't justify MTM for jeans or chinos though!

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.

5. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

You're doing really well!

Maybe if the 511s in a 36 will be fine, but the 34s were too tight..the 504s looked fine.

I'm not sure about Americam brands for chinos and Dockerd...maybe the D2 or D3 will be fine in a 36..

Hopefully you won't have to go MTM for the chinos - if you buy the right size then I'm sure you can find some online or in a department store near you...

If you can't find trousers that fit you may have to go MTM - just make sure you're honest with the measurements!

From your pics you look more of a 36 than a 34, even if you have to have the waist taken in, but at least the seat and thighs will fit ok!!!

I hope you find a great selection of trousers - you already have a great start with 5 pairs of Levi's ordered....

Keep me updated every step of the way!:)

6. datguy21

I'm European, :)!

My legs are still that of a 36" I think but my waist has dropped a lot. My thighs are 25' each when I measured and one calf is just over 17, the other 16.5 - 16.75 so probably why it's hard. I also have my waist sit tight, really tight as I prefer my belts to be tight. Not cutting in but very firm. Belt size above mine means I have to use the last hole which looks sloppy and this one I get the second hole working.

So I'll try 36' and have the waist taken in maybe. I think it's also the fact it all sits on the hips as my hips and waist are different sizes.

I'll be very happy with 4-5 pairs of jeans and 3-4 chinos. Trousers are *optional* at the moment as I'm a student.

Cheers again, I'll inform you after another trip on Monday! I'm going to try Barbour as they stick chinos and also casual trousers so if I get a fit, it makes my life a lot easier as I can just see what they have that I need / like rather than different cuts for each trouser!

7. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Barbour is a great idea, as their quality is top notch - hopefully you'll find both chinos and trousers to fit.

Definitely the best option is to buy a size 36" and get the waist taken in, that way you'll get the best fit..

Can't wait until Monday to see how you got on at Barbour - I'd stick to the 5 pairs of jeans you've ordered, as long as they're not too tight, because it sounds like you made the right choice there!

Happy shopping!:):):):)

8. accordion

accordion Senior member

PJB 005 or Momo 701?

9. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Both are great jeans - guess I'm biased because my Pbjs are holding up so well..so I vote PBJ 005s, but you wouldn't regret either!:)

10. datguy21

Barbour 34:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barbour 36:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

511 36:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barbour is a really good to go brand for me as their jackets fit well in M as do their polos. Jackets are right length as I'm short too. They have all my staples so a fit on their trousers would be great. Already stocked up on their Polos as such a good fit!

11. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Barbour 36 are a great cut on you - I'd stock up on them if I were you:)

511 in 36 is good too!:)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. datguy21

They're sagging and horribly baggy on the rear? What are wrong with the 34?

13. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

They're too small and not flattering..

They're not meant to be worn tight...

14. datguy21

I know that but the 36s are basically falling off the rear? I thought saggy / baggy pants were a no no?

I'm really confused as to what's wrong with the 34? There's no pocket flare etc. but the 36 sag a lot?

Also, when I bring the waist in on them isn't that just going to magnify the butt sag to something silly?

I know they're not supposed to be tight, just close. The 34s don't look tight to me and don't feel it at all. The 36 are huge on the waist for me and is say too baggy on the rear?

15. datguy21

They also come up much higher on the 36 and I'm short so it looks weird side on?

16. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Then just buy whichever you prefer..

I'm only telling you which are the most flattering..

17. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

NO IT DOES NOT!!!

18. datguy21

I appreciate it I'm just not happy with what looks saggy to me and sloppy. They look like gangster pants, I mean the 504s sat on the rear...these are baggy. That's not smart or acceptable is it? I thought saggy pants were just the worst things in the world. Unless where it's sagging they're not pulled up? Although the same position in both pictures and where they should sit.

So I'm really confused!

19. datguy21

They're also stupidly low in terms of crotch?

If I buy the same cut in a trouser...there's no way I can wear them to an office, right?...

Won't they just look ridiculous with that sag and low crotch with a shirt?...

20. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

They're not sagging, they're not meant to be tight!:)