• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a huge piece pork shoulder. How do I cook this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
manton, any reason why you couldnt use a pork stock?

No, that would be ideal, but most people won't have it.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
We made about 6lb of pork shoulder using a similar, albeit much simpler, slow-cooking/braise method last weekend, and it turned out pretty well. Slice up about 2 onions, and dump them into the bottom of a dutch oven (or similar cooking vessel). Liberally salt and pepper the pork, and place on top of onions. Then, pour in about 1 cup of apple juice. Cover, and cook for approximately 6-8hrs, basting occasionally, i.e. once every hour or so. You'll know when it's done when the meat falls apart, i.e. can be pulled. We added more salt, to taste, then just mixed it with some BBQ sauce. We used it to make pulled pork sandwiches, topped with some vinegary cole slaw.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton's recipe sounds great. For a simpler recipe you could just rub in oregano, chopped garlic and olive oil, marinate over night and cook at 300 until done. This way you'll a multiple options in how you eat it afterward.

ed1066

Reaction score
If you plan to ever do this again, it would be worth your while to buy a slow cooker (aka crock pot). Use any of the recipes here but do the cooking in a slow cooker instead of a roasting pan. Should be less mess and the crockery insert of the slow cooker is way easier to clean than a metal roasting pan. For a 6 lb shoulder, you're probably looking at 8-10 hours cooking time, but the result will be some seriously tender pulled pork. Just make sure you use enough liquid to keep the meat wet through the entire cooking time. If all the liquid evaporates, you're hosed. A decent slow cooker will not set you back more that $35 or so, and they have myriad other uses (stew, soup, chili, baked beans, etc.; anything that benefits from long, slow cooking). Check out the web on slow cooker uses, some people have figured out how to bake with them as well.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slice it, season it and throw it on the grill. Make a nice liquid smoke bbq sauce with molasses, tomato paste, garlic and vinegar and you're all done. Serve with steamed veggies and a potato.
I don't eat much pork myself but I know this is good and plain simple.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That sounds good, Manton. You could do it kahlua style. Fat side up in a roasting pan. 1/4 cup kosher salt, some liquid smoke, about a cup of water. Cover pan tightly in foil, oven at 300 until fork tender. Shred, discarding excess ***** stuff, then spoon some of the drippings into the shredded pork.
Sounds yummy. Though, I must admit, every time I hear "Liquid Smoke" I think of the Simpson's episode about "Homer's Space Age Out of This World Moon Waffles," made of something like a bag of caramel squares, waffle batter, liquid smoke, and wrapped around a stick of butter.
lol8[1].gif
Edit: HAHA, found it! I love teh interwebz. http://www.hulu.com/watch/22112/the-...s-moon-waffles

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternative to Manton's recipe:

Clean pork with lime juice (or vinegar).

In a blender add:
green pepper
garlic
onion
salt
pepper
lime zest
Sazon

blend until it is a sofrito.

Stab the pork and stuff the woulds with this mixture. Coat the rest of the pork with the balance of the mixture.

Leave shoulder in the fridge overnight (ideally for a day).

Put in roasting pan, cover and roast on 325 for 3-4 hours. You can baste with drippings & a bit of OJ.

Enjoy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Sounds yummy. Though, I must admit, every time I hear "Liquid Smoke" I think of the Simpson's episode about "Homer's Space Age Out of This World Moon Waffles," made of something like a bag of caramel squares, waffle batter, liquid smoke, and wrapped around a stick of butter.
lol8[1].gif

Edit: HAHA, found it! I love teh interwebz.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/22112/the-...s-moon-waffles

laugh.gif

I was leery of it too, until Mrs. Piob made me my first taste of khalua pork.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you have to do only one thing to it? I mean, there are several different muscles in the shoulder, and some are better for some things than others. If you need to cook a massive piece of meat in one piece, there are good suggestions here, but otherwise I would make three, four or five different things out of it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Do you have to do only one thing to it? I mean, there are several different muscles in the shoulder, and some are better for some things than others. If you need to cook a massive piece of meat in one piece, there are good suggestions here, but otherwise I would make three, four or five different things out of it.
He doesn't even know how to cook it, and you want him to break it down into individual muscles?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
He doesn't even know how to cook it, and you want him to break it down into individual muscles?
WTF is he going to do with 9 pounds of cooked pork shoulder dood?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I would eat it. It might take two or three sittings.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
I would eat it. It might take two or three sittings.

Vacuum seal and freeze. Pull out for carnitas, toss in chili, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics