• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate running

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate running. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I've never liked it. I hate it.

So, I need something else to do for cardio. I don't have a gym membership but could get one. However, my understanding is that running is the best form of cardiovascular exercise.

What is my solution? Do I suck it up and keep running, only getting 20-30 minutes in? Or should I focus on something like an elliptical, or biking? I want to lose some of my excess body (read: beer) fat and just tone up a little.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Training a martial art with a high intensity level (MT, BJJ, etc) would be more interesting, better for self-defense, and potentially a better workout.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I don't think anyone in their right mind 'likes' running from the get-go. Have you tried it constantly for over a month and stuck with it? I find that in those periods I let myself get out of shape, starting running again for the first 1-2 weeks is hell. After you begin to adjust again and raise your stamina it becomes far more enjoyable.

Make sure to change your route often (Hopefully, your not simply running on a treadmill, because that is insanely boring), bring your iPod.........you get used to it.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
What is my solution? Do I suck it up and keep running, only getting 20-30 minutes in? Or should I focus on something like an elliptical, or biking? I want to lose some of my excess body (read: beer) fat and just tone up a little.

This is correct. Suck it up and run like a man.
laugh.gif

Besides, are you speed-walking aka "jogging" or what? 20-30 minutes of actual running (>= 7mph) would cover ~2.5-3.5 miles, a good workout by any measure.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It gets better as you get used to it. I hated running, but man, swimming REALLY sucks. Swimming there is no change of scenery and you start to drown once you get tired. Try running in some woods or get a dog or an ipod.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cardiovascular exercise is overrated when it comes to losing weight. Try increasing your lean muscle mass through weight training. Muscle helps you burn fat more effectively. However, doing a little cardio work will help in the fat burning process and help improve your lung and heart health. I try to get 30-45 minutes, 3-4 times per week from a combination of elliptical, rowing, step climber, treadmill and road running. Like Tiecollector said, get an ipod - it make the time fly by.

PS: Send any beer you have left in your refrigerator to me immediately!
bounce2.gif

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Eat less and cut WAY back on alcohol and you don't need to exercise (unless you want to build muscle.... which is mostly cosmetic). Exercise makes you hungry.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I think cardiovascular exercise is overrated when it comes to losing weight. Try increasing your lean muscle mass through weight training. Muscle helps you burn fat more effectively. However, doing a little cardio work will help in the fat burning process and help improve your lung and heart health. I try to get 30-45 minutes, 3-4 times per week from a combination of elliptical, rowing, step climber, treadmill and road running. Like Tiecollector said, get an ipod - it make the time fly by.

PS: Send any beer you have left in your refrigerator to me immediately!
bounce2.gif

I agree Cardo is very overrated for overall health, weight loss, and physique development.

Your answer: Circuit Training uses machines and weights, just keep it moving.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I don't think anyone in their right mind 'likes' running from the get-go. Have you tried it constantly for over a month and stuck with it? I find that in those periods I let myself get out of shape, starting running again for the first 1-2 weeks is hell. After you begin to adjust again and raise your stamina it becomes far more enjoyable.

Make sure to change your route often (Hopefully, your not simply running on a treadmill, because that is insanely boring), bring your iPod.........you get used to it.

I second this. When I first started running years ago to lose some weight, I HATED it. It was a chore, and I'd struggle through 20-30 minutes. Then one night I realized that at the end of my usual 2 - 2.5 mile run I wasn't as miserably tired as I normally was, so I just kept going. I ended up running like 12 miles that night. From that point forward, I loved running and looked forward to it. The endorphin high was pretty good, I enjoyed running in different areas and seeing the scenery, and settling into my rythm and just concentrating on running became a very relaxing, zen-like (in a bullshitty, california yuppie dumbed-down bastardization of the concept of zen kind of way) experience that I would look forward to.
Then I got a job and all that bullshit and going for 2-3 hour runs late at night stopped working for my schedule. But man, while it lasted, it was awesome.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drive your car to a shopping mall parking lot, after hours. Put the car in neutral and push it from one end of the the lot to the other.

Go home and load up a wheelbarrow with sand/dirt/rocks. Start pushing it around the block. Take a break when your neighbours ask you what the hell you're doing.

You need a yard for this one. Hit up a used tire dump for a large truck tire. Once home, begin to flip the tire from one end of the yard to the other. For breaks, take a sledgehammer and whack the tire.

All all pretty well guaranteed to get your heart racing and are more interesting than straight-up running.

But if you want to run, try fartlek or talus running.

lefty

WSW

Reaction score
Go to a playground at night and run up and down all the equipment, including the slides, seesaws, and merrygorounds without horses. Try to do the monkey bars as fast as possible. See if you can't jump from one swing to another. Loads of fun and you get to relive your childhood.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Drive your car to a shopping mall parking lot, after hours. Put the car in neutral and push it from one end of the the lot to the other.

Go home and load up a wheelbarrow with sand/dirt/rocks. Start pushing it around the block. Take a break when your neighbours ask you what the hell you're doing.

You need a yard for this one. Hit up a used tire dump for a large truck tire. Once home, begin to flip the tire from one end of the yard to the other. For breaks, take a sledgehammer and whack the tire.

All all pretty well guaranteed to get your heart racing and are more interesting than straight-up running.

But if you want to run, try fartlek or talus running.

lefty

Sounds like the workout they used to buff up the actors in '300'

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
But if you want to run, try fartlek or talus running. lefty
In XC, we used to call these Fartlickers and we also ran Mezelvics [sp?] which were no fun either. I think swimming helped me lose those love handles pretty quickly. Easier on the joints too, but swimming sucks WAY more than running imo. Also, it is hard to find a clean lap pool. The pools at 24 hour are so gross, I went to the one downtown and it was SALTY!!!!! so gross. I hit up the one at the university, which is pristine, when I can.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Sounds like the workout they used to buff up the actors in '300'
There's something to be said for just moving heavy **** around. lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads