• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate pocket squares !

mp1472

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else shares this opinion but I can't stand them, won't wear them ...hate them !!

I feel Iike its over the top at that point lol.... and I'm not really sure why exactly.

Who's with me !?.....

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares. Get jackets with welted breast pockets. I mean, a lot of people wear terrible squares, but that hasn't ruined them for me. I'm not going around barefoot because people wear terrible shoes.

mp1472

Reaction score

Who cares. Get jackets with welted breast pockets. I mean, a lot of people wear terrible squares, but that hasn't ruined them for me. I'm not going around barefoot because people wear terrible shoes.

I declare the shoe analogy invalid as one does not "need" to wear a pocket square but one does need to wear shoes .

This could be why I hate the ps though so many bad ones .... its like a blemish on an otherwise beautiful face .... a pocket square is like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I declare the shoe analogy invalid as one does not "need" to wear a pocket square but one does need to wear shoes .

This could be why I hate the ps though so many bad ones .... its like a blemish on an otherwise beautiful face .... a pocket square is like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa.
Your argument is the one that's not valid. He didn't actually compare pocket squares to shoes. You jumped to that conclusion, and it was "invalid." He simply said that seeing others in unattractive styles of gear doesn't ruin the category for him. He used shoes and pocket squares as examples, not for a comparison. You're a solid troll, but you're shxtty at being a smart@ss.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a valid point, but VinnyMac has already pointed out what I meant with that. It would 100% scan for all parties if I said "jeans" instead of shoes.

I actually think that, purely aesthetically, the curve of a puffed silk hank looks better than the straight line of a plain welted breast pocket (in my original post, I meant "jetted" for welted), and the curve of an Italian pocket looks incomplete without a square. I'm not as big a fan of the straight line a TV fold creates, but they do serve to break up the chest.

Put it like this: when I see a fit without a square, I tend to think either "that looks good," or "a square would improve this" (often, when I think this, a plain white linen square would be, IMHO, the best choice). That's a call I make right away -- if it's a great square-less fit, then I don't notice the lack of a square. If it's not great, my eye falls on the breast pocket and I feel like something's missing -- it's like a rock song where the bass guitar is too quiet.

On the other hand, fits with squares fall into two categories: "that looks good," or "the square detracts from this." Often, I think the square's pattern is too similar to the tie, or is just kind of crashing the party. This does befall about half of the fits I see that combine patterned squares with ties. It's been too hot for me to wear coat and tie lately, but I'm starting to reach for off-white silk more and more when I do wear coat and tie.

Last edited:

mp1472

Reaction score
Your argument is the one that's not valid. He didn't actually compare pocket squares to shoes. You jumped to that conclusion, and it was "invalid." He simply said that seeing others in unattractive styles of gear doesn't ruin the category for him. He used shoes and pocket squares as examples, not for a comparison. You're a solid troll, but you're shxtty at being a smart@ss.
wow.gif
alright ill work on that smartass thing.
Seriously though I really don't get the pocket square and ive noticed while browsing SF that almost anyone sporting a suit or sport coat is wearing a p.s. and it looks terrible to me most of the time.

Its like if a jacket pocket could vomit it would look exactly like a pocket square!

Come on you liked that one admit it!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you are utterly wrong and your analogy is silly.

Do however feel free to look ill-dressed to stay loyal to your misguided principle. I will at least not dismiss it as spam but I do have sympathy for JubeiSpeigal's view in post 4

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like them, don't wear them. I absolutely cannot understand the feeling, but...

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else shares this opinion but I can't stand them, won't wear them ...hate them !!

I feel Iike its over the top at that point lol.... and I'm not really sure why exactly.

Who's with me !?.....
Based on the original post of this thread it, mp1472 does not like pocket squares and does not know why. He is looking for people who also don't like pocket squares most likely to form some pocket square hating association (PoSHA).

When it comes down to it, the majority of the things we like in menswear are superfluous. Neckties are just as superfluous as pocket squares.

I think everyone's time is better spent enjoying/discussing things that one likes as opposed to dislikes. No good can come of this kind of hate. Especially if there is no logical reason for it. In the end, it comes down to aesthetics which is a matter of opinion. There's no need to discuss opinion as if it were fact.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads