1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I hate being exactly average size!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gilwood, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Agree. 36 waist is fat and looking at health problems now and down the road. 32 is max for a healthy fit individual. Anyone that thinks 34 is svelte is delusional.
    Just because the rest of the nation is fatter doesn't mean you aren't fat. A difficult truth to swallow, but the truth nonetheless.
    That's pretty judgmental shit considering we have not discussed my height (although I did disclose a shoe size of 9D, so obviously I'm not extremely tall) ... however I will definitely say there are some extremely healthy folks out there rocking a 36-38 waist who are that size because they are 5'10 - 6'2 and muscular. If you are over 5'9 and wearing less than a 32, you are probably gaunt... HIV and a smack problem is not healthy or attractive either.

2. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I've never seen a FIT person rock a 36-38 waist. Being muscular doesn't mean you're not fat. You can be muscular and still have a lot of body fat.

3. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    Guys can you please stop using svelte to discuss men's pants.

This is svelte:

[​IMG]

This is not:

[​IMG]

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

where do you live? 36 waist is fucking gigantic. [​IMG]

Yah, if you're a chick or a skinny hipster.

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I've never seen a FIT person rock a 36-38 waist. Being muscular doesn't mean you're not fat. You can be muscular and still have a lot of body fat.
    You're seriously talking out of your ass. I guess it's possible you are a nancy-boy who has never actually been to a gym, seen an NFL or NHL game, etc... but I assure you there are some extremely fit people out there with a 36" waist. (ps. jockeys are not athletes)

6. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

You're seriously talking out of your ass. I guess it's possible you are a nancy-boy who has never actually been to a gym, seen an NFL or NHL game, etc... but I assure you there are some extremely fit people out there with a 36" waist. (ps. jockeys are not athletes)
    Are you fucking shitting me? The defensive and offensive lines are comprised of people who are FAT. Muscular and FAT. They need the mass. Fit would be someone like Phelps.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

8. yfarmanara

yfarmanara Well-Known Member

You're seriously talking out of your ass. I guess it's possible you are a nancy-boy who has never actually been to a gym, seen an NFL or NHL game, etc... but I assure you there are some extremely fit people out there with a 36" waist.

(ps. jockeys are not athletes)

I wouldn't say that there are some EXTREMELY fit people with a 36" waist. I can only speak for hockey players but I know a lot of very fit hockey players that wear size 34-36 jeans. That being said, it's not because their waist is a size 34-36, it's because their ass/thighs don't fit into any smaller sizes. As far as actual waist size I think a 36 would be pushing it as far as extremely fit goes.

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Yah, if you're a chick

I guess it's possible you are a nancy-boy who has never actually been to a gym,

hehe

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Fair enough... but that leaves the door open for "you can be fit with a 36" waist"

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Having looked into trying to buy some, most pro return pants for NHL teams are size medium. As in, very, very few other sizes. That's a 32-34. There are not many guys in the NHL that require a 36 inch waist. Many have to buy 36 waist pants to fit their thighs and then have the waist taken in, but they don't have waists that large. Football players? Sure. But I would not classify most of them as 'fit', at least not the linemen.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Having looked into trying to buy some, most pro return pants for NHL teams are size medium. As in, very, very few other sizes. That's a 32-34. There are not many guys in the NHL that require a 36 inch waist. Many have to buy 36 waist pants to fit their thighs and then have the waist taken in, but they don't have waists that large. Football players? Sure. But I would not classify most of them as 'fit', at least not the linemen.
    Again - linemen are an anomaly and in the 40's ... It is possible that most NHL players are in the 32-34 range (which is what I originally indicated was average with 36 on the high end ). The point was that, in absence of other data, the statement that a man with a 36" waist is FAT is absurd. (it is not all that different to my saying that an adult man with a 28-30 inch waist is an AIDS patient).

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm a 55-year-old man and don't consider myself particularly fit, but I wear (and have worn for years) a 33 waist. Unfortunately I wear a 42R suit. Tailoring trousers to fit me is a bitch.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination fat. And I agree with Ron about the 28-30 inch waist guys: eat something fellas.

14. Tensomoko

Tensomoko Member

I also agree that it depends somewhat on height. If you are below average height, which I think is 5'10'' in America, it is much easier for you to have a waist below 30 without trying at all and to see 36 as fat. Admittedly therefore, Asians who have a shorter average height will also have an smaller waist size. In fact, recommendations for waist size as an indicator or health reduce requirements for Asians indicating, that waist size alone is not as good an indicator for health. Also I must point out that in all types of people in general, waist size alone is not totally correlated with body fat percentage. I know lots of skinny incredibly flabby people with waists in the low 30's with chests of a similar size, compared with people with waist sizes in the 36's with chests of 48's. You decided what most pople would consider a model of health.

15. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

where do you live? 36 waist is fucking gigantic. they always have surpluses of those in nyc... i want my 36S and 6.5 shoes [​IMG]...but most designers don't even make a EU38.5... life is hard [​IMG]
    Hobbits shouldn't really be throwing stones. Some members here have cats who are bigger than you. These cats could probably kick your ass too.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Hobbits shouldn't really be throwing stones. .

hehehe

17. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

18. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior member

Yea I'm 6'1" 195lbs, wear a 34 waist and I don't consider myself fat.

And do all of you short-ass stick figures out there seriously think you're any healthier just because you have a size 28 waist?

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Yea I'm 6'1" 195lbs, wear a 34 waist and I don't consider myself fat.

And do all of you short-ass stick figures out there seriously think you're any healthier just because you have a size 28 waist?

+1
    hehehe

20. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

I'm a 55-year-old man and don't consider myself particularly fit, but I wear (and have worn for years) a 33 waist. Unfortunately I wear a 42R suit. Tailoring trousers to fit me is a bitch.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination fat. And I agree with Ron about the 28-30 inch waist guys: eat something fellas.

Seems nobody can think outside the box in this thread. When I was lifting harder and eating extremely well, I had a 43-44" chest and a 30" waist at around 6%-7% bodyfat. I certainly didn't look emaciated.