1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I hate being exactly average size!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gilwood, Apr 21, 2010.

1. gilwood

gilwood Senior Member

that's average? i'm 32 in jeans, 5'10, 165 lbs, 38R, 9 1/2 10ish in shoes. i can wear the samples so i'm happy to get free clothes.

How is it free b/c you fit the samples?

2. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Distinguished Member

Everytime there's a sale my size disappears almost immediately. I'm size 10 in shoes, 42R in jackets, 36 in pants, and medium in tee-shirts, etc.

I was monitoring this nice wool trenchcoat at the Brooks Brothers sale and of course the 42R's disappear first!

Why don't stores stock up more common sizes?

I'm a 40-42 in jackets so I feel your pain, but I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your assertion that 36 is "average" for pants size. Among people who invest heavily in their wardrobes, I should think 32-33 is more of an average waist. Then again, maybe you're thinking about the people wearing Kiton suits and I'm thinking about the people buying Dior jeans ... carry on .... [​IMG]

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

that's average? i'm 32 in jeans, 5'10, 165 lbs, 38R, 9 1/2 10ish in shoes. i can wear the samples so i'm happy to get free clothes.

Woah....creepy. Wanna trade clothes?

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Everytime there's a sale my size disappears almost immediately. I'm size 10 in shoes, 42R in jackets, 36 in pants, and medium in tee-shirts, etc.

I was monitoring this nice wool trenchcoat at the Brooks Brothers sale and of course the 42R's disappear first!

Why don't stores stock up more common sizes?

why are you a 42R when you wear medium in tshirts? you should be a 40R. i wear large in tees and 42R. 16neck

5. sm332

sm332 Senior Member

I'm a 40-42 in jackets so I feel your pain, but I'm afraid I have to completely disagree with your assertion that 36 is "average" for pants size. Among people who invest heavily in their wardrobes, I should think 32-33 is more of an average waist. Then again, maybe you're thinking about the people wearing Kiton suits and I'm thinking about the people buying Dior jeans ... carry on .... [​IMG]

hey there now ... some of us carry a lil more weight then we would like ... but still enjoy our clothes!
    [​IMG]

6. gilwood

gilwood Senior Member

Waist size 36 always seems to be the first one gone. Depends on the store too though. I shop heavily at BB. If you shop at Walmart, I'm sure the the XXL's are gone first...

Also - Yes, my butt is big! I refuse to take squats out of my workout routine. Muscle butt or belly? I'll take muscle butt - lol.

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

I'm with the OP - 36, 44R, 9D - yeah, there's lots of toolbox shoes in those sizes, but nice shoes never last til the sale.

8. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior Member

why are you a 42R when you wear medium in tshirts? you should be a 40R. i wear large in tees and 42R. 16neck

I though the same thing, I'm a 42L and wear a large in tees, 34 waist.

The one thing I never have trouble finding in my size is shoes, I'm an 11D.

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

where do you live? 36 waist is fucking gigantic. they always have surpluses of those in nyc... i want my 36S and 6.5 shoes [​IMG]...but most designers don't even make a EU38.5... life is hard [​IMG]

10. sm332

sm332 Senior Member

Waist size 36 always seems to be the first one gone. Depends on the store too though. I shop heavily at BB. If you shop at Walmart, I'm sure the the XXL's are gone first...

Also - Yes, my butt is big! I refuse to take squats out of my workout routine. Muscle butt or belly? I'll take muscle butt - lol.

wish I could say my excess weight had anything to do with muscle [​IMG]

I do play a mean game of squash though!

11. intent

intent Distinguished Member

where do you live? 36 waist is fucking gigantic. they always have surpluses of those in nyc... i want my 36S and 6.5 shoes [​IMG]...but most designers don't even make a EU38.5... life is hard [​IMG]

I hate you.

12. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior Member

I hate you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

+1

13. username79

username79 Distinguished Member

14. gilwood

gilwood Senior Member

I don't know about that. I went to Uniqlo in NYC to buy a pair of their raw jeans. They had every size from 32 - 38, except good ol' 36.

Oh, I live in a strange land west of NY where pizzas are a plenty and coke is the new water - lol. Also, sitting in a cube all day ain't helping my silhouette.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

Dude... I'm not svelt, but I'd hardly call myself Gigantic with a 36 waist. I'd say 34 is average for adult males not in Asia with a high distribution from 32-36. 30 and 38 are less common.