• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I had my pants hemmed too short, how much did I need to let out? (pics)

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my pants hemmed to have the "sf-approved" light break without showing socks while standing. Problem is that I judged the length based on when the pants were perfectly straight. I realized that when I actually walk around, the pants either stick to my leg a bit or become crooked. Then when I stand, there will be too much sock showing. This is when the pants fall pretty straight down my leg
IMG_20110425_182128.jpg
This happens when the pants stick to my leg a bit and pull back
IMG_20110425_182249.jpg
The leg opening is 8". How much did I need to let out on the pants? Thanks.

joneog

Reaction score
If they touch your shoes when standing straight they aren't too short. It's natural for some sock to show when moving/sitting.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joneog
If they touch your shoes when standing straight they aren't too short. It's natural for some sock to show when moving/sitting.
my pants have just the slightest break. When standing, they just touch my shoes

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is that after walking, the pants will "stick" to my leg or get a little crooked. Then, even when I stand (like in the 2nd pic), they will show too much sock.

viator

Reaction score
The SF approved break is one of those things I can't get behind.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on your weight and ankle bone width 8" is either a generous, moderate or slim opening. Seems that in your case 8" is rather roomy without being too wide. You need more break with wide trousers because they flap around more than skinny pants. Also, I believe your pants are simply hemmed to different lengths, which is the mistake of the tailor and he or she must re-do them. Another thing to consider is to ask for a slanted hem, more material in the back and less in the front. Here's an 8"(about as wide as I ever go) hemmed just about right:

9EJyq.jpg

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
my pants have just the slightest break. When standing, they just touch my shoes

this

correct+pant+hem+length.jpg

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"SF hem" or whatever isnt just about the inseam length. Its also about the leg opening. If the leg opening is too big, the pant will sway and you get what the OP is describing. I am 6'2" and my ideal setup includes a slight break with a 8.5-9 inch leg opening. Otherwise you are better off sticking with a full break. That way you avoid the annoying floating leg opening

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have pretty small legs/ankles. The circumference of my leg just above the ankle bone is 8" if that means anything. So should I have the leg opening tapered to 7" and then adjust the break accordingly?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
I do have pretty small legs/ankles. So even an 8" opening is wide for me?
It depends on what you like, but for me 8" is as wide as I can go without compromising the aesthetics of the rest of my clothes.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some trousers that do the same thing, and from what I can tell it's because they are too tight around the calves. My trousers have a proper inseam, but if I sit down I'll have to bend over to re set the hem. It could help to let out the inseam to be hemmed at a slanted angle.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
It depends on what you like, but for me 8" is as wide as I can go without compromising the aesthetics of the rest of my clothes.

What is the leg opening you typically have for dress pants and what is your waist size?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From 7.5 to 8" is very typical for me. My waist is 31. I just like slim-fitting clothes all around.

trt2000

Reaction score
depends on shoe size, my 13 isnt same as someone else's 8.5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads