• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I gutted a $500 suit jacket to see how it's constructed

EzraPaul

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, I started gutting jackets at various price-points/brands to see how they are constructed. I started with this sport coat from Jos. A. Bank that I picked up on ebay for $10 and have a Z Zegna on deck:

Close-up of the fusible:

If you're curious about the details, I wrote a little blog piece on it as well (mods had me remove the link, but you can click in my signature and then the blog tab).

Last edited by a moderator:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup! Keep'em coming.

Last edited:

cowpoke

Reaction score
I have no idea why this is so awesome, but it is. Excellent post!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very informative.

It would be interesting to see some more of the bespoke houses as well as one or two on the UK Regional entities, many of whom had the proprietor/cutter and a few others the actually construct the garment: it might tell us something about the tradesmen of the past.

EzraPaul

Reaction score
Glad you guys find it as interesting as I do. BTW, if anyone has an old suit that is worn or damaged that you want to contribute, I'll pay for shipping and gut it.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you guys find it as interesting as I do. BTW, if anyone has an old suit that is worn or damaged that you want to contribute, I'll pay for shipping and gut it.

Went to your website and noticed you sell suits/SCs. How about showing us the construction of one of your items? Also, which company makes your suits (if you don't mind me asking)?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
I was trying not to be too shamefully self-promoting, but the blog was eventually leading to that point. I'll put a pic up later - it's fully canvassed. I make in a small factory in Northern Italy that's made for many of the major brands at one point or another.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why? @LA Guy

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads