1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I got mugged last night

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Apr 25, 2010.

1. gqreader239

gqreader239 Senior member

http://leatherjacketsandjeans.blogspot.com/
    dude you made the right decision to just hand over the money and phone. i can imagine some people trying to fight over the stuff and getting stabbed for it. the worst thing you may have lost was your sense of ego or male masculinity but, you made the right decision.

2. Bexhill

Bexhill Well-Known Member

I got mugged too by two blacks last year, they also took my cellphone, fortunately I had no money on me, I was so furious the Police did nothing. If I could find them and was certain not to get caught I'd shoot them in the head, shoot their mothers, hang their sisters and skin their brothers alive. [​IMG]

3. ama

ama Senior member

I got mugged too by two blacks last year, they also took my cellphone, fortunately I had no money on me, I was so furious the Police did nothing. If I could find them and was certain not to get caught I'd shoot them in the head, shoot their mothers, hang their sisters and skin their brothers alive. [​IMG]

You are my favorite new troll. Thank you.

4. Bexhill

I am not a troll, at first I was scared to death I thought they were going to kill me, then later I was so furious you can't imagine. You've never been mugged you can not understand

5. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Sounds horrible, Conne.
    For what it's worth, it's just money. Hell, I'd gladly pay $10,000 to get away from a guy threatening me with a butcher knife.

6. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Ive been in 3 attempted muggings, 2 of which involved multiple teenage attackers. In all 3 cases my situational awareness and not showing any fear, have kept me from actually getting mugged. Everyone who said hand over your stuff is correct. Especially since it sounds like the guy got the jump on you, but I bet if your awareness had been better you probably could have seen it coming and avoided it or escaped with your cash and phone. Its good your ok though. I recommend a CCP, a pistol, and improved situational awareness.

7. Bexhill

Is there any way to get a weapon in the UK? (I'm not British by the way but a European Citizen)

8. blackjack

blackjack Senior member

Actually, that (not having any cash on you) could have caused the muggers to beat, stab or shoot you in retaliation.

Philosophe had the right idea when he mentioned the "mugging money" or "decoy roll":

Sorry to hear it, Conne. At least you had some cash to give the bastard. Carrying some "mugging money" is always a good idea.

Depending on how much you can afford, wrap a $100, $50, or $20 around a bunch of one-dollar bills - or pack it in a money clip. The idea is to hand or throw it in their direction and run the opposite way.

Is there any way to get a weapon in the UK? (I'm not British by the way but a European Citizen)

http://www.donrearic.com/defendingyo...inbritain.html

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Good that you're safe.

I was going to say something funny, but I won't.

Do you want me to send you a gun?

Regards from Texas

Pearl-handled pistol?

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Conne,

Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad you're safe.

T

11. Lear

Lear Senior member

Conne Please don't feel guilty at not being able to defend yourself. The mugger is obviously faster, stronger, meaner and crueler than you could ever be. But that is all he is... many thousands of years out of date. There was a time in history when these qualities would've place you at the top of the totem pole. Now they'll get you minimum-wage-per-hour if you're lucky. So, rejoice in the fact that you're a civilized, nice, decent bloke. Take revenge on him in twenty years time, when he's asking if you'd like fries with that order. Ooops! I forgot, you don't eat that rubbish [​IMG]

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Is this thread a funny reference to Dodd's latest gem over the weekend comparing the financial crisis to a robbery by Wall St ?

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

cross streets please.

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

It was on 18th. And I think T. I ran and wasn't paying much attention. He was just standing behind a gate in front of a house and kind of grabbed my arm. It was really discreet and a passerby probably wouldn't have noticed it. It was fast.

15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

OK, that is definitely not an area where I would have been especially on guard.

16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

OK, that is definitely not an area where I would have been especially on guard.
    Yeah, exactly.

17. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Good that you're safe.

I was going to say something funny, but I won't.

Do you want me to send you a gun?

Regards from Texas

Pearl-handled pistol?

No, a derringer for conne.

I'll try to photograph it later.

18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

It was on 18th. And I think T. I ran and wasn't paying much attention. He was just standing behind a gate in front of a house and kind of grabbed my arm. It was really discreet and a passerby probably wouldn't have noticed it. It was fast.

you sent me a text yesterday [​IMG]

19. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Right near Lauriol Plaza? What time?

I've walked down 18th Street between Adams Morgan and Dupont many times without trouble; knock on wood. The section between R and Florida is a bit of a dead zone with less foot traffic.