• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got mugged last night

Syl

Reaction score
I had a knife pulled on me once. It was 3am (or so) and I was walking back home through a not-so-nice area. At the time I was very fit, into martial arts etc. so I did the right thing....I RAN. The guy didn't give chase so I was fortunate.

It's a scary thing to happen. Glad to hear you are okay. Definitely don't feel angry about losing some cash and a phone - you are okay and that's what's important.

blackjack

Reaction score
Several long years ago, someone tried to mug me in WDC. The problem was that they were high (on drugs or booze), it was daylight & sunny, I spotted him from a few hundred yards away (eg. I wasn't listening to music or otherwise distracted) and I was armed with triple-action Mace spray (eg. I did not have it attached to some stupid keychain or tucked away in my briefcase - it was in my hand).

The funny thing was that 99% of my fellow classmates felt I was the bad guy. No - they hadn't been there. They only wanted to know the race of the other guy. I became Bernard Goetz.

No regrets. The same attitude also saved me from a mugging in the UK. It's not like it happens everyday but being prepared makes a huge difference. People ask why I chose not to run with iPod or don't talk on my mobile while walking (unless absolutely certain of the area) - it's because in both cases, you give off the impression of being distracted, and for many muggers, that's exactly what they are looking for.

Sorry to hear that you got the wrong end of it. At least you were not injured.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Conne. I hope you are feeling better.

Whereabouts was it? It's hard for me to imagine a street near dupont where this could happen unless it was past 4 am.

Anyway, you did the right thing, $90 and your cell phone is small change compared to taking a risk.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Did you report it? I hope they catch her.
laugh.gif
I can picture conne going home and sucking on his thumb, still trembling from the incident. Not to be too much of an ass, it still sucks he got jacked from a monetary perspective.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry dude, glad you're ok.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conne, sorry to hear this but glad you're okay. Where and what time did this happen?

This is a reminder to me to be careful when I'm in DC. I tend to walk around a lot not always aware of my surroundings.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Have the cell phone company trace the phone, the suspect probably still has it and will probably use it.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
One thing nice about this day and age, is nobody can do **** them self. If he did try to use the knife on you, it was probably made in china and so dull it wouldn't cut because nobody can ******* sharpen a knife anymore.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
One thing nice about this day and age, is nobody can do **** them self. If he did try to use the knife on you, it was probably made in china and so dull it wouldn't cut because nobody can ******* sharpen a knife anymore.
Wrong. Even a dull cleaver can break through bone with little actual force behind it. Considering Conne's bones are probably about as strong as a chicken's, and the rest of his body has about the same muscle mass as a chicken's, he would have been dead in one swipe.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
That's definitely a scary thing.

I was nearly mugged by a mob of 'east-african males' walking home from a party a few months back. I punched one in the face and ran as fast as I possibly could. I was lucky to get away.

Of course, the punch in the face probably wasn't the smartest idea, but my animal instinct got the best of me.

I haven't walked the same route to that house since.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear it. I'm glad you are ok.

Mblova

Reaction score
That is how capitalists feel about democrats.

j/k.

Glad to hear you are safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads