• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got C plus in my easiest class!!

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a saying for this . . . "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

Seriously, there is no such thing as a group project. There is a project in which you come prepared having done everything yourself, or there is a project that fails.

Always do the work on your own, and never make it known to the other people in your "group". This way you're covered if everyone else didn't pull their weight. And if they did do their work, then oh well, at least you have a safety net.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Very serious.

Why not?

Because you have no legal grounds for suing. The terms of the class are laid out at the beginning of class in the syllabus (not legally binding, btw) and the appeals process is laid out in the college's rules (legallly binding). As long as proper procedure was followed, there's nothing you can do. And that "proper procedure" oftentimes means appealing to the prof, then appealing to the dept chair, then the dean or provost, then to a committee maybe. At virtually everyone of these steps they will defer to the prof unless there is a gross error. Which there wasn't.

b

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
LOL. I bet most college students have a team of attorneys on retainer.
Yes, this can cost a lot real fast! I went through some rounds of legal saber-rattling a while back with a "business partner". It cost a lot of money (by my standards) but I did get my last fall-back position and, I assure you, the other party, who is an established part of the business community around here, will never forget me!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yes, this can cost a lot real fast!

I went through some rounds of legal saber- rattling a while back with a "business partner". It cost a lot of money (by my standards) but I did get my last fall-back position and, I assure you, the other party, who is an established part of the business community around here, will never forget me!

You're right, he'll always remember you as the prick that he wouldn't recommend anyone to work with. Looks like you just built a great bridge for your future.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
As a former prof, I would suggest NOT doing the first part of (a), or (b), (c) or (f).

Do (a) present firm evidence of how you tried to lead the tean to get the interviews done (by showing emails where you were assured that interviews would be done by others and they never were) but were thwarted and present a break-down of how work was split-up, (d) show your excellent grades as evidence that something seems amiss here, (e) ask if it is possible to rewrite the existing paper (if there was one).

The first part of (a) and suggestion (b) both sound a bit whiney to me. How did you know the group wouldn't work on day 1? Everyone assumes (c). Don't expect (f) to happen. You had your assignments, I'm not inclined to develop yet another one and grade it for you.

And for the record, I also find it very important to let all members of any group project evaluate themselves and their teammates in confidence.

b

Of course I fully defer to your judgment from the other side of the table, but (f) certainly happens. Pretty often actually. Happened to me once and happened to my classmates at multiple occasions. I guess it depends on the prof...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Because you have no legal grounds for suing. The terms of the class are laid out at the beginning of class in the syllabus (not legally binding, btw) and the appeals process is laid out in the college's rules (legallly binding). As long as proper procedure was followed, there's nothing you can do. And that "proper procedure" oftentimes means appealing to the prof, then appealing to the dept chair, then the dean or provost, then to a committee maybe. At virtually everyone of these steps they will defer to the prof unless there is a gross error. Which there wasn't. b
All right. That is good input. I concede. You know, I did not have any legal grounds for jerking around my "business partner" that I mentioned in the other post, and my lawyer pointed this out to me. However, we agreed to do it anyway. In the end, I got what I wanted, I got my pound of flesh, my "business partner" will not forget, and I also enjoyed it.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You're right, he'll always remember you as the prick that he wouldn't recommend anyone to work with.
Exactly. At least one not to be crossed in a business deal.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Looks like you just built a great bridge for your future.
What I have done works for my situation. I do not care of my business associates like me and I cannot afford to be thought of as a pushover. I need others in the local business community here to respect me, to know that I do not welch on a deal, and to know that I am not to be trifled with. What I have described in my other post has helped me do this.
If you let people step on you then they will. If you do onto others plus the XVIII Airborne Corps, the word gets around...

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was an undergrad, I hated group projects, especially those where the grade is based on the final product (presentation, final proposal, etc.) The very nature of group work defies human nature and modern theories of incentives. It's a lot like communism in practice in that there will always be those who work hard and those who coattail for a free ride when the reward is evenly distributed. Group work, therefore, is very un-American as it does not foster independence and self-reliance. Sigh....one C is not going to hurt you in the long run so just hang in there. Grad schools don't look at your individual grade but at your ***. GPA so don't worry too much at this point. Those douches will all work for you one day pal, don't worry.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by imageWIS
Indeed, and I have 3 group projects in 3 of my classes this semester. Sigh...

Jon.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be surprised what a legal counselor can do. Someone played a prank on me during Junior year by banging on my door really loud at 3 am for 4 days straight and leave opened bottles of alcohol in front of my door. This is so that when I open my door to check, I will have alcohol spilled all over the carpet. On the 5th day, I set up a camera and with the help of my legal counselor constructed a draft of disciplinarian actions demanded of the residential dean. The kid (turned out to be a ****** living on the same floor) got suspended for a whole quarter and 2 strikes by the Student Senate before full expulsion.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by Connemara
LOL. I bet most college students have a team of attorneys on retainer.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
You may be surprised what a legal counselor can do...
This might be an angle to play...
... opened bottles of alcohol in front of my door. This is so that when I open my door to check, I will have alcohol spilled all over the carpet...
Too bad that booze could not be recovered.
The kid (turned out to be a ****** living on the same floor) got suspended for a whole quarter and 2 strikes by the Student Senate before full expulsion.
"All's well that ends well". I always liked a happy ending. Good for you!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
In my senior year of undergrad b-school strategy course, I bought a bottle of scotch for each of my team members as a substitute for doing any work on the group project. How's that for GPAPH?

worship.gif

And here is a hint for some of you: always give your presentation last and always have a notebook that can burn CDs with you. Just ******* steal and adapt the best **** from each presentation before you on the fly, burn a fresh CD (or two..or three) right there in class. That's what I always did and it also increased my GPAPH (TM).

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
legal counselor= my uncle, and what I did not know was that my uncle and the dean when to the same school (my school) and knew each other from Crew many years back. Yes, it was a happy ending. Although, my uncle did not tell me this at the time. He was a judicious man: you don't want people to call the arbitrator "biased"

This might be an angle to play...
Too bad that booze could not be recovered.
"All's well that ends well". I always liked a happy ending. Good for you!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
In MBA talk, look on it as a balanced score card approach
laugh.gif
We realized that if you were in the top 10% of your class, who gave a damn between the 99th percentile and the 89th? No one. What is means is, if I get a 93 and you get a 94, but I put in two hours and you put in 50, I win.

teacha.gif
This is dumbass talk. Grades are one of the most overrated things. Only a dumbass would make the final grade the ultimate goal of a college course. You should invent and trademark a new formula that divides total learning by tuition dollars. Then you could brag about it and not sound like a dumbass.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
teacha.gif
This is dumbass talk. Grades are one of the most overrated things. Only a dumbass would make the final grade the ultimate goal of a college course.

I think what would really be dumbass is to completely not comprehend a series of posts and then think I was criticizing the poster when in fact all I did was agree with him.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads