• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got bored and dyed my shoes (lots of pics)

Ahaz

Reaction score
Well, pretty much like the title states. If you've seen my other thread, you probably realize that I've been looking for some new shoes. I haven't really found anything that jumped out at me, besides the Prada which I can't find. Well, I'm thinking about getting some keds or maybe pro-keds, but my female friends have poo-poo'd those thus far. I've only been wearing my PF Flyers as of late. My feet are too wide for Chucks, but fit great in these. They come with really great insoles for a canvas shoe, so they're bonus comfy. I just got tired of the same old shoes, and had the idea to try some RIT dye on them. I don't have any pics of the process, because it was quite messy. I did have a lovely assistant, but I doubt anyone would have wanted to see pics of a bare-chested Ahaz, with a Walmart bag affixed to his right forearm to somewhat stem the tide of black cuticles.

minya

Reaction score
haha -- that looks badass. nice job!

Ahaz

Reaction score
Thanks minya and whodini, I'm happy with them. I was thinking there was going to be more of a marbled effect, due to the shoes being stained with indigo and dirty in places. When they came out that uniform, I was quite surprised. I'm digging the color, and like the purple/black on the white rubber, although I could rub it down with bleach to whiten it.

I think the low PF Flyer come in white, natural (mine), navy, red and black.

EDIT: VVVVV Thanks buddy. I think they should be set once they dry (I rinsed and wiped them down a ton when they got done sitting in the dye), but I think I'll avoid going barefoot in them for a day or two. Don't need black hands AND feet.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
they came out good. don't you have to put them in the dryer or something to set the dye? that's from what i remember the last time i used RIT.

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
They look fantastic! I love the grey! Great job!!

Ott

Reaction score
you've inspired me, I'm going to dye my old white chucks and make something more interesting. Maybe I'll dye them purple and then use a bleach pen to make polkadots, or something equally marsupialed.

KingKongLives

Reaction score
oh that looks great! i wonder how the dye will hold up.

Originally Posted by Ott
you've inspired me, I'm going to dye my old white chucks and make something more interesting. Maybe I'll dye them purple and then use a bleach pen to make polkadots, or something equally marsupialed.

sounds similar to the new fad of people customizing their vans with spray paint

nairb49

Reaction score
Very interesting. I like how the white rubber is a bit darker from residual.

Mind if I ask what RIT dye is?

Ahaz

Reaction score
Again guys, thanks! I'm really loving them, they look great with all my dry denim. The package didn't say anything about drying them to set the dye, so let's hope that isn't needed. Maybe I'll just hit them with the blowdryer, just in case.

Ott, I'm glad I've inspired you, but I'm sorry it was to create the gayest shoes known to man
frown.gif

inlove.gif

Nair, RIT dye is just fabric dye that you can pick up at most grocery stores/Walmart. It's next to the detergent/fabric softener/all that jazz.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Those shoes look great!! Hope they last you a while. And I know exactly what you are saiying re: the comfort of PF Flyers. WAY better than chucks in that regard.

BTW, where can I get PF Flyers in NY. I tried some on in LA but left w/o them - kicking myself now. I'm looking for these:

pm1001ro_d.gif

what do you guys think?

Reaction score
It's been just under a month since I've last been there, but I'm sure I've spotted PF Flyers in Daffy's in Soho (on Broadway north of Grand St ). Didn't bother looking at the colors though... Ahaz, that dye job is great, nice color.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
what do you guys think?

I don't know if I could pull them off, and I'd have to see them in person, but I think I dig them. If the place Red Herringbone suggested doesn't work out, Zappos has that shoe for $61.

I've always kinda liked these, but they're probably much gayer in person. The colors on Zappos are always off, in my experience.

EDIT:

"Trimmed with over-dyed Japanese denim, these shoes are the hottest this season has to offer." Interesting. I've always loved this particular shoe, but I've heard that they don't hold their shape very well (not just the tyvek model), and get very wide/stretched out around the heel and ankle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads