1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

    There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

    Cheers,

    Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I got a job offer from an accounting firm but I have a problem...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by xindyblue, Oct 19, 2012.

  1. xindyblue

    xindyblue New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    I've been having interviews with public accounting firms lately,
    and I got a job offer from Grant Thornton.
    They sent me all the benefit information with a paper for me to sign to accept the offer, and the deadline for the offer is Octoboer 29.

    Here is a problem.
    I have a 2nd interview invitation from McGladrey (on 10/26) and from Deloitte (on 11/2)
    (and if I get a job offer from either McGladrey or Deloitte I would turn down GT's offer for sure)


    What should I do??
    If I can push back the GT(Grant Thornton)'s deadline that'd be sweeet.

    But at this point, I feel like I'm being forced to make a decision.

    It will sound selfish, (and I SHOULD be selfish,) but I want to have all the options on my table for a decision.

    The worst scenario is that, I turn down GT's offer, and no offers from McGladrey and Deloitte after the interviews. That's why I want to have all my options on my table.

    So, the deadline extension, is this something I can ask GT?? (maybe for an additional week?)
    If so, would it be okay to ask it via email?? (cuz sometimes I don't feel comfortable talking about these kind of situations as a non-native English speaker)
    Would asking for deadline extension hurt me in any way?

    Or is there any other option for me at this point other than deadline extension?

    I heard about reneging, but I think it's the last resort option.
    If I do reneging, would it really hurt me in any way??

    Please help....
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
     
  2. swimgood

    swimgood Member

    Messages:
    14
    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Asking for an extension is fine and asking by e-mail is fine too. This is a normal part of the recruiting process.

    The mid-tier firms give you these early deadlines to make you feel pressured to decide before you hear back from the B4. They either really liked you, will give you the extension, and proceed to spam the hell out of your phone/email to convince you to accept. Or you barely made the cut and they say no.

    Despite all the supposed repercussions I've heard about renegging, my friends who renegged are perfectly fine a year into their careers. Only hurts you if for some reason you want to go back to that firm (highly unlikely if you accepted elsewhere) or their recruiter becomes the recruiter at another place you want to work (unlikely too).

    Lastly, you joined styleforum to ask this question? You know they have CPA forums right
     
  3. Texasmade

    Texasmade Senior member

    Messages:
    3,917
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    Swimgood is correct. Just send an email asking for an extension. You might want to ask for a 2 week extension instead of just one.

    Some other advice. McGladrey should be lowest on your list. goingconcern.com has some useful advice. Just take the comments with a grain of salt.
     
  4. pseudonym

    pseudonym Senior member

    Messages:
    1,116
    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    

    Information on the supposed repercussions? I've already signed an offer, but I'm also actively looking for something else.
     
  5. mcbrown

    mcbrown Senior member

    Messages:
    727
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    OP, are you in college and going through campus recruiting?
     
  6. ballmouse

    ballmouse Senior member

    Messages:
    1,102
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2011
    This is a good question. Your school might have a policy of no exploding offers (offers that are rescinded after a certain amount of days), so you should ask the recruiting team if you run into problems.

     
  7. swimgood

    swimgood Member

    Messages:
    14
    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    

    Things ive heard students tell each other:
    1. Firms having a pact to not hire you if you reneg one for the other
    2. Not being allowed to use career center services once the firm tells your career center you renegged.
    3. Future relationship of the firm you renegged with your school (may hire less ppl from your school if consistent history of students renegging).

    Only one I'd put any weight on is the second because for my school we did agree to terms on honoring agreements with employers before using the career center. But if you have that other FT offer in hand then I don't see how this hurts you.
     
  8. taxgenius

    taxgenius Senior member

    Messages:
    4,747
    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Tell them the truth (sort of).
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. CunningSmeagol

    CunningSmeagol Senior member

    Messages:
    3,933
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York
    Ask for an extension. Don't reneg.
     
  10. FidelCashflow

    FidelCashflow Senior member

    Messages:
    4,328
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    Accept GT's offer, if you get an offer from a better firm later, take that and just tell GT you won't be coming to work for them. It's not the end of the world for them or you.
     
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. CunningSmeagol

    CunningSmeagol Senior member

    Messages:
    3,933
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York
    Renegging:

    - impacts the firm's relationship with the school
    - impacts the school's relationship with you
    - is not the "right thing to do"

    That's ignoring the assumed negligible effect on your new firm's perception of you.

    What do you have to lose by asking for an extension? If the firm values its relationship with your school, it will "grant" one.
     
  12. Joffrey

    Joffrey Senior member

    Messages:
    11,351
    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    Location:
    Pennsylvania Ave/Connecticut Ave
    

    1. Pact between firms? Not likely, but it's possible the hiring managers know each other. But I really wouldn't be worried about this.

    2. If you renegged on a full time job for another, why would you need career services? Anyway, that would be pretty poor form from the school. I wouldn't worry about this.

    3. Whether the firm hires from your school or not isn't your problem. Anyway, firms that do heavy campus recruting a year hire a lot of people from different schools, so I dont see why your decision would affect their hiring practices. I wouldn't worry about this.

    Lesson: Try to extend the deadline . If you have to take the offer and keep interviewing. Having a standing offer from another company is actually a great negotiating ploy with your future interviews. If something bigger and better comes up, take it. Tough shit if it inconveniences the company. In this market it really shouldn't take them long to refill it.
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  13. pseudonym

    pseudonym Senior member

    Messages:
    1,116
    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    

    All I needed to read.

    I will keep interviewing, despite already having signed a FT offer.
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  14. CunningSmeagol

    CunningSmeagol Senior member

    Messages:
    3,933
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    New York
    You guys are total pieces of shit.
     
    2 people like this.
  15. db78

    db78 Member

    Messages:
    12
    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    Most importantly, call up your contacts at Deloitte and McGladrey and tell them you have an exploding offer from a competitor, and request to do in house interviews earlier if possible. Even if they can't make it work, at least they know you're highly sought after. I've been through both sides of the recruiting process, firms salivate at candidates that have been reaffirmed by other firms. Learn to leverage up.

    For what it's worth, if I felt like I had a good shot at Deloitte, I'd do whatever I could to finish that interview. Can't say the same for McGladrey. McGladrey / GT / BDO / Moss Adams / etc are basically at the same tier, not worth losing an offer in hand unless you had a really great reason. "Prestige" wise, they're honestly all the same.
     
  16. Texasmade

    Texasmade Senior member

    Messages:
    3,917
    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    GT and BDO are a step above McGladrey prestige wise. GT and BDO at least have F500 audit clients. McGladrey, Moss Adams, etc don't. Also, GT and BDO have a much better international network then all the rest of the 2nd tier firms.
     
  17. db78

    db78 Member

    Messages:
    12
    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    

    I see your point but feel it's honestly marginally better even so. In certain markets GT / BDO may have a really strong presence, but overall they're still far behind Big 4 and tend to get clumped together with everyone else. It's not so much there isn't an actual difference, it's more people tend to just think Big 4 and then everyone else. Hell even KPMG gets jocked on by PwC and DT...although KPMG did quite well this year.

    By the way in no way am I saying you can't be successful if you're not at Big 4. Jus saying at the surface level, that's the perception of the public accounting industry.
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  18. Da GOAT

    Da GOAT Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    59
    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    im a big 4 manager and this is the norm.
     
  19. suited

    suited Senior member

    Messages:
    6,399
    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    

    Definitely agree about pushing the extension out. You don't want to have to ask for a 2nd extension because you didn't give yourself enough time to hear back from the other firms.
     

Share This Page

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by