• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I give you the price

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool (fused) = 800 euros

Super 120 = 1 200 euros

Super 150 = 1 650 euros

Wool = 1 200 euros

I paid 30% of theses prices.

WHO could say I should not have taken them? Does this guy pay his garment with 70% discount?

kalra2411

Reaction score
Wool (fused) = 800 euros

Super 120 = 1 200 euros

Super 150 = 1 650 euros

Wool = 1 200 euros

WHO could say I should not have taken them?  Does this guy pay his garment with 70% discount?
I think ernest is a nutter, but I will agree with him, firstly he got very good prices and secondly I do not think that people on this board should comment on others financial situations, be they rich or poor. Hint toward people who have this obsessive nature of disproving I am Mittal.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool (fused) = 800 euros

Super 120 = 1 200 euros

Super 150 = 1 650 euros

Wool = 1 200 euros

WHO could say I should not have taken them?  Does this guy pay his garment with 70% discount?
1 dollar or euro more than one needs is an unnecessary and hence a poor purchase.

Even when being done for an uncertain future as Johnynorman3 mention in the now once again locked thread thanks to the latest bout of immaturity from the pros.

I think that one of those Pros is looking to set a record as to how many threads they can get locked until they really PO Steve or J and then get bounced.

JJF

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that now locked thread, it mentioned that Ernest is unemployed. Even if they are good prices, the question is should he buy them if he's not currently employed and has no need to wear a suit.

Ernest, what is your profession and how old are you are? The answer to this will determine whether or not you should have bought these suits.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that now locked thread, it mentioned that Ernest is unemployed. Even if they are good prices, the question is should he buy them if he's not currently employed and has no need to wear a suit.

Ernest, what is your profession and how old are you are? The answer to this will determine whether or not you should have bought these suits.
I respectfully disagree. Clothing purchases, like many items we purchase, ought not be viewed soley on the basis of necessity. Many of our clothing purchases are, frankly, matters of indulgence. If we looked only at necessity, a simple $100.00 discount store suit would meet most of our needs.

For Ernest, or whomever else likes to by suits, it is not necessary that the buyer have a compellig reason to wear them. Many folk, even when not in the best of financial straights, purchase items because it gives them pleasure to do so.

I think we ought not pass judgment on the appropriateness of the purchase as relates to Ernest's, or anybody elses, life circumstances. Rather, we should be evaluating the purchase as to whether it is a nice garment that is likely to flatter the wearer and whether it represents value.

Just MHO

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(esquire. @ 21 July 2004, 10:58) On that now locked thread, it mentioned that Ernest is unemployed. Even if they are good prices, the question is should he buy them if he's not currently employed and has no need to wear a suit. Ernest, what is your profession and how old are you are? The answer to this will determine whether or not you should have bought these suits.
I respectfully disagree. Â Clothing purchases, like many items we purchase, ought not be viewed soley on the basis of necessity. Â Many of our clothing purchases are, frankly, matters of indulgence. Â If we looked only at necessity, a simple $100.00 discount store suit would meet most of our needs. For Ernest, or whomever else likes to by suits, it is not necessary that the buyer have a compellig reason to wear them. Â Many folk, even when not in the best of financial straights, purchase items because it gives them pleasure to do so. I think we ought not pass judgment on the appropriateness of the purchase as relates to Ernest's, or anybody elses, life circumstances. Â Rather, we should be evaluating the purchase as to whether it is a nice garment that is likely to flatter the wearer and whether it represents value. Just MHO
Marc: Ernest is buying suits now with the intent of perhaps needing them in the future as quoted here
I have 20 suits, 14 new + 6 used (soon dead) I do not need them, for THE MOMENT... What do you propose ? Buying nothing because I do not work for the moment but buying 5 suits when I will need them a the double price and get them used very quickly because I wear them often? Sorry, I prefer making a bargain when I can it because it may not be here when I will need it in x mounths. One calls this : "to project in the future" Is there an age to have more than 5 suits? I think interest in clothing is going less important when you already have had many suits in your life @ 40 years...
Johnny made a valid point stating that to project so far into the future and so extensively just because its a good by is perhaps silly as styles change, tastes change, financial positions change etc... Bargains can always be found when one is willing to try. Your recent interview attire attests to that. A good deal out of something is not and should not only be based on price but practicality and if someone is not working and sees no work in sight is not practical. Even if we are to say that it serves to satisfy some inner drive and gives pleasure, still we must again evaluate the purchase based on what need it fills. At some point we agree that the purchase of items to satisy one inner needs and not serving any particular practical needs are problematic and need to be dealt with. In plain terms, as one who drinks alchohol for pleasure can cross over to alchoholism, so to the purchase of clothing not for inherently practical reasons can be problematic as well. And to quote you Marc... Just MHO
smile.gif
JJF

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
GAIN:

Play nice, or the thread gets locked.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIH

I do understand that the line between obsession and passion can be blurred. Moreover, the justifications for purchases as to both can sound awfully similar.

That said, I was less trying to justify Ernest's purchases (frankly do not know the guy and am reluctant to pass judgment on the basis soley of information gleaned from this forum), and more questioning whether we (collectively or individually) ought even enter into those judgments.

I hope this posting is viewed as futhering a discussion re: the intrinsic value of clothing ownership independent of its practical application and not as an attack on any previous post or poster. If not, my apologies in advance.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that now locked thread, it mentioned that Ernest is unemployed. Even if they are good prices, the question is should he buy them if he's not currently employed and has no need to wear a suit. Ernest, what is your profession and how old are you are? The answer to this will determine whether or not you should have bought these suits.
I said I was unemployed because I have nothing to hide. Nevertheless, I think what I do with MY money is not your business and I do not understand why your are only talking about this and not about my suits... Perhaps jealousy to see someone who has enough money to buy what he likes without working because of the french system while you can not because of stinginess, poor income or fear about future? Can I remind you that this forum is talking about clothes, style and NOT about financial situation or subjacent moral you are talking about (what to buy if you do not work). I was working in a derivative back-office (suit EVERY days) and I am 30 year old. What is your conclusion? Please check my last suit by Lanvin I bought today and give me your opinion about fabrics (not about my style of life) :
PICT20.jpg

kalra2411

Reaction score
I like your suits ernest, you have a good style in that respect, too bad that is not carried to watches.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also bought the blue twill today so I have the same suit twice now....

The pinstripe suit you see is 1 300 euros, I paid it 390 euros.

What costs 390 euros?
- two 7 fold ties from Lanvin
- 1 fashion trousers from Versace or some desiner's ****
- a shirt from Kiton

Well who is wasting his money?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like your suits ernest, you have a good style in that respect, too bad that is not carried to watches.
Thanks

How long will you talk about my "bad taste" for watches at the end of your messages ?

kalra2411

Reaction score
I also bought the blue twill today so I have the same suit twice now....

The pinstripe suit you see is 1 300 euros, I paid it 390 euros.

What costs 390 euros?
- two 7 fold ties from Lanvin
- 1 fashion trousers from Versace or some desiner's ****
- a shirt from Kiton

Well who is wasting his money?
Amazing price, and also that pinstripe is a very nice suit. Too bad you now have repeat suits, I have done that many times, it is very annoying.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some guy asked me if Lanvin was a good brand...

French President wear bespoke Lanvin suits. Does it give you an idea of their quality and rang prices?

A 7 fold ties costs 160 euros

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads