• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I get legitimately depressed watching bad films

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else experience this?

Over the last few years Ive noticed that ****** movies have started to affect me in an odd way. Whereas I used to just make fun of the nonsense on the screen, these days a poorly done film gives me a very negative feeling about the world. The effect is intensified when I am with a group of people and they are entertained/enjoying the movie in some way.

E.g. last week I was killing some time with the SO/Inlaws after dinner and the TV was getting flipped between Step Brothers and some Matthew McConaughy/Kate Hudson romantic comedy. I had to leave the room because the soullessness of the garbage on TV was just draining me! A similar thing happens with almost any TV show, especially reality TV, but luckily I can usually avoid the TV...

My SO does not understand when I try to explain my reaction. Am I mentally ill?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
do you know what depresses me? when I'm sitting in line at the supermarket and the woman in front of me is haggling over literally pennies. this will go on for 10+ minutes. it drives me nuts.
frown.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Times is tough bro.

I'm the same way, which is why I basically never go to the movies. I check Metacritic, and if something gets uniform rave reviews I might try and go on a weeknight, but otherwise I don't bother.

Even worse than having to endure a bad movie is not being able to explain to the people you happen to be with why the movie is worthless ******* garbage, because (like my roommate) they're too stupid to know any better. That's how you're inlaws roll, huh? Sorry dude.

Pop culture is designed to rot your brain. Then again, so are drugs, and I do a lot of those...

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Does anyone else experience this?

Over the last few years Ive noticed that ****** movies have started to affect me in an odd way. Whereas I used to just make fun of the nonsense on the screen, these days a poorly done film gives me a very negative feeling about the world. The effect is intensified when I am with a group of people and they are entertained/enjoying the movie in some way.

E.g. last week I was killing some time with the SO/Inlaws after dinner and the TV was getting flipped between Step Brothers and some Matthew McConaughy/Kate Hudson romantic comedy. I had to leave the room because the soullessness of the garbage on TV was just draining me! A similar thing happens with almost any TV show, especially reality TV, but luckily I can usually avoid the TV...

My SO does not understand when I try to explain my reaction. Am I mentally ill?

Basically, the entire appeal of Stepbrothers:

"OMG that parent/teacher/nun/psychiatrist/authority figure is using curse words LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!1!1"

I'll agree that it was a particularly soulless comedy. Roger Ebert writes alot about being spiritually drained by movies, and the distinction between a bad movie that is at least fun to mock and a bad movie that is genuinely soul-sucking is usually betrayed in the tenor of his review (Whenever a Bg Dumb Action Movie comes out, I immediately read his review, because few things are more consistently entertaining.)

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
the thing is, there are enough legit things in this world to get depressed about that you shouldn't waste your time trying to figure out or judge other people's taste. people like what they like, and at the end of the day, as long as they're happy and it doesn't effect your life, who cares?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it's fun to sneer at proles on the internet.

Reaction score
anything that people like, whether proles or the elite, depresses me.
i steer clear of anything garnering rave reviews by the latter and avoid anything that gets a thumbs up from the former.
and if i like something it makes me suspicious.
if i don't get it or it bores me, then i know i am on to something.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you OP, but I'm more offended than depress. One movie that comes to mind recently is Paul Blart, Mall Cop. Just seeing the commercials get me so worked up. I can't believe the **** the movie studios try to cram down our throats. It's like for every one decent movie made they have to make ten more mall cops just to keep us in our place.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
anything that people like, whether proles or the elite, depresses me.
i steer clear of anything garnering rave reviews by the latter and avoid anything that gets a thumbs up from the former.
and if i like something it makes me suspicious.
if i don't get it or it bores me, then i know i am on to something.

I'm the same with Appreciation; like, I totally don't get off to pictures of two doods touching the tips of their dicks together, so that's actually what I wack off to. Get it?

Me neither. I think I'm going to PM Conne.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you sit through them? I turn them off, leave, or start doing something else if neither is an option. I understand the frustration, but it's a little like being depressed when someone offers you a Natty Ice. You don't have to drink it, you can bring your own, drink water, or leave. But there's no reason to get all emo about it.

That said, the most depressing movie I've seen in years was Idiocracy. Not because it was bad, but because it presents a world which I (and probably you, considering this topic) would consider unbelievably hellish.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
hey j you want a natty ice brah? play some xbox bro?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wanna get together sometime later, maybe wrestle around a little bit? You know, just us guys!

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
hella yea bra. let's get like 6 guys, play some tackle football in the fresh morning dew, ending with a big wrestling pile. and oops, we forgot our clothes.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ben you are scaring me

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
hella yea bra. let's get like 6 guys, play some tackle football in the fresh morning dew, ending with a big wrestling pile. and oops, we forgot our clothes.
Presented by Abercrombie and Fitch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads